Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

Lansbury was one of the better midfielders in the championship when we brought him but, like many of Bruce's signings, has been woefully utilised. Bruce loved to put square pegs in round holes, so we really haven't seen many of our squad (including lansbury) play to their true potential. I think he will be fine under Smith. 

Edited by Made In Aston

12 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think he is one of the few that Smith said we need to move. Our depth for CM is ridiculous. We do not need Lansbury, and we can likely the transfer fee. 

When did Smith name check any potential ins and outs so far ?

• Like 1

I have very little doubt that Lansbury is one of a number of players who are glad that Bruce is no longer in charge.

i can't believe that Smith would have discarded him already - I feel that Lansbury will be given more opportunities to prove what he can do. For me it's the likes of Whelan and Jed who who should be looking over their shoulders now.

Times are changing at VP and I don't see these guys being part of Smiths DNA for very long.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I have very little doubt that Lansbury is one of a number of players who are glad that Bruce is no longer in charge.

i can't believe that Smith would have discarded him already - I feel that Lansbury will be given more opportunities to prove what he can do. For me it's the likes of Whelan and Jed who who should be looking over their shoulders now.

Times are changing at VP and I don't see these guys being part of Smiths DNA for very long.

Discarding both Whelan and Jedinak with 1 centre back at the club would be suicide at the moment. Nothing wrong with either one of them infront of the back four. I don't think you can start with Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish at the same time though. I actually think Grealish is the difficult one to shoehorn in to the side. I get the impression McGinn was meant to be a replacement for Grealish so something has to give.

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I think a good few will get an opportunity.  The 3 games in 6 days will be a fair indication of how Smith differs to Bruce. I think even if we win Saturday, he'll make a good few changes for Tuesday night and subsequently the QPR game also. O'kelly was asked to sum Smith up in one word and i thought it was spot on. Inclusive. From staff to players. Subs not made feel they are subs. Lot of managers love to use the good old cliches " the squad plays it's part" but their actions show it's just to appease them. Smith actually means it though. Very often makes lots of changes to his team. Not the scattergun changes Bruce was renowned for though. Lansbury will play more. I think o'hare gets game time over the next week or so too.

I remember his debut where he was lively and doing mad things our players, bar Grealish, never do. Real revolutionary stuff like...

• Moving for a throw and giving it back to the thrower
  • Playing 1-2s
  • Receiving the ball from someone deeper than him, turning around, and going forwards

It was enjoyable.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I remember his debut where he was lively and doing mad things our players, bar Grealish, never do. Real revolutionary stuff like...

• Playing 1-2s
  • Receiving the ball from someone deeper than him, turning around, and going forwards

It was enjoyable.

Think it was preston at home if memory serves me correctly. Lansbury was brilliant. Pinged passes all over the place. Remember Hogan had a very lively debut against forest at the city ground when we got beat 2-1. It's like when they become part of the Bruce setup they just forget how to play after a while.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

• Playing 1-2s

It was enjoyable.

Ah, one of his 1 in 6 'decent' performances.

30 minutes ago, KHV said:

Discarding both Whelan and Jedinak with 1 centre back at the club would be suicide at the moment. Nothing wrong with either one of them infront of the back four. I don't think you can start with Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish at the same time though. I actually think Grealish is the difficult one to shoehorn in to the side. I get the impression McGinn was meant to be a replacement for Grealish so something has to give.

When you press teams there is no need for a dedicated DM. The two in front of the back 4 are more like deep lying playmakers. Imagine them as football's equivalent to NFL quarterbacks. The remaining forward players are a fluid unit providing width, movement, key final 3rd passes and, hopefully, goals. 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I didn't mean that Smith discards them with immediate effect - I do however enviage Lansbury getting a lot more game time ahead of these two in the run up to January and then I see Smith  purchasing a player with a few more attributes under their belt than either of this pair.??

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I think Lansbury and others can't be written off just yet. A new team dynamic can change everything.

Quite - I honestly don't believe that we have seen the best of Lansbury as yet - I'm still puzzled why Bruce bought him and others to play in a broken and flawed system that would never encourage the best out of them.

Reading Lansbury was used as West Ham back up goalkeeper when on loan there and has got in goal twice in his career, once for under 21 and West Ham and never conceded from open play. 

Maybe he could be an option if we go for a sweeper keeper ?

He certainly had some of the best stats in the league when we signed him and despite what others have said I know a Nottingham Forest season ticket holder who rated him.

Maybe this was a "Bruce can't manage him properly" thing.  We will soon find out though!

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He certainly had some of the best stats in the league when we signed him and despite what others have said I know a Nottingham Forest season ticket holder who rated him.

Maybe this was a "Bruce can't manage him properly" thing.  We will soon find out though!

I know Villa season ticket holders who rate Hutton....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â