Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

11 hours ago, skarroki said:

If I'm currently not wanted where I'm working and I'm doing a dream job, I'm due to earn £500,000 that year and I'm offered

1. £125,000

2. help with finding my next company where I will continue to earn money. 

3. A chance to make Johan Lange give me a big smile

I'm taking that all day long. Why rot in the reserves and make finding your next job harder to find. Basically comes across like he was bitter, going in on the young players to show them how real football works when he'd barely strung 3 professional matches together in the last decade. Ramsey has probably doubled Lansbury's top flight appearances now at least. 

Any former player that goes on about the clique of Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Agbonlahor et al and what a "good bunch of lads" they were when other former players, staff and managers have alluded to their lack of professionalism, is someone I have reservations on. The fact they'd all gone and Lansbury was still there and we were trying to pay him off to get rid and keeping him away from the dressing room speaks volumes imo. 

Would you be 'retiring' in a year or two because your body is basically finished?

You're not taking that deal lol

11 hours ago, skarroki said:

Any former player that goes on about the clique of Bunn, Hutton, Richards, Agbonlahor et al and what a "good bunch of lads" they were when other former players, staff and managers have alluded to their lack of professionalism, is someone I have reservations on. The fact they'd all gone and Lansbury was still there and we were trying to pay him off to get rid and keeping him away from the dressing room speaks volumes imo. 

To be fair to Hutton, he was frozen out but 3 loan moves later and he came back in, seized the moment and went on to give to the cause when it mattered while cementing cult hero status as the Scottish Cafu in the process.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Huge waste of money in the end. He's entitled to his bitterness but can't say he didn't deserve more. He had chances when fit and didn't deliver. 

Highlight of his Villa career was a disallowed goal at Palace

I always remember him shitting the bed at Newcastle when he just signed becausr he had a run in with Shelvey earlier in the season

17 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He’s right: there’s no loyalty, but there’s also no obligation for the club to treat him any differently, especially when he did naff all for us when he was fit. Less of the boys’ club - the old guard looking out for one another - and more appreciation that it sucks being a grown up, please.

I've not watched it but if he's moaning about loyalty it cuts both ways.  Players in the main (with one or two very rare exceptions) will drop their club the second a "bigger" club or one offering a few quid more comes sniffing.  It's ruthless but it's ruthless in both directions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Huge waste of money in the end. He's entitled to his bitterness but can't say he didn't deserve more. He had chances when fit and didn't deliver. 

Ultimately yes.  Came with big expectations but rarely looked worth the investment.  That's not his fault mind.  Only one party makes the offer and agrees the wages. 

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ultimately yes.  Came with big expectations but rarely looked worth the investment.  That's not his fault mind.  Only one party makes the offer and agrees the wages. 

Very true. Thank god we aren’t giving out 4 and half year contracts like this anymore. 

48 minutes ago, sidcow said:

How long have we just given Ollie? 

Not really a comparison, one is a consistent performer while the other was past it 3 years ago

Edited by Zatman

9 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Not remotely comparable and you know it.

I dont see any difference just we paid Coutinho more money. Lansbury at least was doing something at Championship level when we signed him

On 10/10/2023 at 10:53, rodders0223 said:

Would you be 'retiring' in a year or two because your body is basically finished?

You're not taking that deal lol

He wasn't retiring though he was moving on to another club to continue earning money, he's already rich and he's got 2/3 businesses going in the background, one of which he cites as the reason for retiring early, because of how well the business is going and he wants to put more time into it. 

Footballers don't retire at 31 and then sit at home staring at a wall for 60 years with smashed knees waiting for their money to run out. 

On 10/10/2023 at 11:35, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair to Hutton, he was frozen out but 3 loan moves later and he came back in, seized the moment and went on to give to the cause when it mattered while cementing cult hero status as the Scottish Cafu in the process.

I know Hutton is a cult hero and feel bad lumping him in, as I know he was frozen out reportedly due to his wages instead of attitude, but he was frozen out several times and is regularly mentioned in a list of "good lads" alongside a bunch of players at the time it was suggested were leeches on the club and were bad eggs in the dressing room. Ross McCormark even said they weren't bad eggs which I guess he would if he was part of the group. 

All in all I hold nothing against Hutton, it was more a general point that the players who in retirement talk about that certain group of players tend to be people who disappointed, had high wages, had their commitment / fitness / training / performances questioned regularly. 

If you're Lansbury and you're talking about how good Gabby and Bunn were instead of, say, Terry, Chester, Hourihane, Kodjia - then Whelan, Snodgrass etc etc during those first 18 months then it rings alarm bells in my head. 

Fair enough if you disagree with that though I might be reading too much into it and or being unreasonable. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 22:43, Zatman said:

Lansbury at least was doing something at Championship level when we signed him

Such a Bruce signing though - just like the disaster that was Scott Hogan. Lansbury had a purple patch for about 2 months before we signed him then we resorted to type.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 21:31, Zatman said:

How long did we give Coutinho?

On 11/10/2023 at 03:22, The_Steve said:

Not remotely comparable and you know it.

How is it not comparable?

On 10/10/2023 at 18:41, The_Steve said:

You're talking about Coutinho here yeah?

• 3 weeks later...
Â