Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

When you see a stadium in China full of Chinese football fans wearing Chelsea and Arsenal shirts it makes you realise just how unrealistic the Dr's ambitions for Villa in China are.

Fans are fickle. Tottenham suddenly have lots of fans in China as they finish top 2 a few times. Will take a while but you never know. 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

When you see a stadium in China full of Chinese football fans wearing Chelsea and Arsenal shirts it makes you realise just how unrealistic the Dr's ambitions for Villa in China are.

I'm not sure I completely agree.

Even Spurs shirts started appeared in sports shop windows in New York  around the time they were in the champions league under Harry and had Bale in the side.  I would argue you can be one champions league qualification and one fantastic player away from being recognizable in what is a very fickle market-place.

Remember when Messi was tweeting about Ashley Young? (I think it was a game against West Ham.) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

But aren't Chelsea and Arsenal playing so you'd expect their fans to turn up. Lets also not the forget the size of the population in China. Get back in the Premier League and add a few Chinese stars to the team and you are soon one of the most supported teams in the country.  They have no allegiance to teams in england. Fans will switch or youngsters will support different teams to parents.

• Like 1

Stadiums full of Chelsea shirts are a drop in the ocean there though, a country with a population of 2 billion (actual pop 1.3 billion but worldwide there are around 2 billion Chinese people). Even if we can attract a tiny percentage of the population to support Villa it will massively boost revenue. 0.01% of the population would be 20,000,000 new fans... if they all click on the website/YouTube/weibo page, then that's a lot of clicks.

Even just starting with those kids football lessons and a few tv adverts, we could be the next big thing.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

I can tell you from first hand experience that a lot of East Asian fans are not like English ones, for example. There's no real stigma if you change teams, there's nothing wrong with liking multiple teams from the same country and a lot of shirts are fakes anyway. You market well and you'll make some money there, for sure. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Popularity in the Asian markets will only happen if we are successful, conversely we will not become successful because have more exposure in Asia.

I do wonder what Tony makes of the ridiculous sums of money being spent by Premier league teams this summer.

City have spent around £120m on 3 defenders in the last week and Everton have spent £100m plus and probably will still finish 7th .

getting into the top 6 is harder than ever but as Leicester showed it can be done - I'd be happy to see us in mid table for a couple of years and build from there - but first we need to get there and this squad is far and away good enough to get us up - if we fail there can be no excuse . 

• Like 1

His home currency over the last year has made his purchasing power in the UK far greater.

We need to get the dirty work of getting promoted done first.

I fully expect come January if we are up there at the top end that we will buy the main competitors best players to disrupt them and just pay off certain wage earners in our squad to try and improve our chances further.

It's a matter of time till someone does a Villa but even more spectacularly. Someone will spend £200m on players who all turn out to be useless and get relegated with a £500m a year wage bill. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2017 at 08:35, Eastie said:

City have spent around £120m on 3 defenders in the last week and Everton have spent £100m plus and probably will still finish 7th .

getting into the top 6 is harder than ever but as Leicester showed it can be done - I'd be happy to see us in mid table for a couple of years and build from there - but first we need to get there and this squad is far and away good enough to get us up - if we fail there can be no excuse . 

Really hits home just how amazing that Leicester title win was. They cruised it too. Absolutely phenomenal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's a matter of time till someone does a Villa but even more spectacularly. Someone will spend £200m on players who all turn out to be useless and get relegated with a £500m a year wage bill. 

Until we've truly righted this ship I am not putting it past Villa to do a Villa but even more spectacularly. 

• Sad 2

On 24/07/2017 at 08:35, Eastie said:

City have to pay double any transfer. It's the Arab tax.PSG have to pay it too. Any other club would have spent 60m on those 3 players. 

Evertons net spend isn't so high because of Lukaku sale.

I see your point though.  Crazy fees.

Â