Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)

Vancvillan

1 minute ago, Phumfeinz said:

Maybe so, but Lerner was owner and his complete lack of interest or care for the club led to these things happening. He's not completely absolved of any blame.

You're preaching to the choir man. The blame for our predicament is squarely on Lerner in my eyes. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Here you go in "tweet" format :) 

Clearly (unsurprisingly) finding it hard to shift certain players... 

I agree with the sentiment however if he were to sell tomorrow I'm sure the new owners would say the same thing regarding a few of our signings under his watch. Jedinak £50k pw, Lansbury reportedly £40k Hourihane £28k Adomah £35k all spring to mind, you could also maybe in hindsight add McCormack if you were being ultra critical. If he is talking about Richards,  at the time it was the going rate to get him on a free. Fox wasn't suitable to be CEO but was a very successful CCO a finance  guy. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones 

Edited by thabucks

The contracts might be stupid but there is no point complaining about stuff you can't change. It isn't hard to get a rough idea of what other clubs will offer players so you cut your losses and move on.

Say Richards is on £70k, the next club want to pay him £40k, so we pay off the remaining £30k per week for the rest of his contract. Yes it's annoying, yes it's wasted money but at least it's less wasted money. Worst case scenario is letting this contracts just run down with no benefit to the team or squad. If you basically promise to make up any shortfall in wages then I can't see why a player wouldn't move to get some actual game time.

So take the hit and clear the decks, even if we only save half the amount of the wages these players are on it'd still be worth it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I'm sure the new owners would say the same thing regarding a few of our signings under his watch.

Jedinak £50k pw, Lansbury reportedly £40k Hourihane £28k Adomah £35k all spring to mind, you could also maybe in hindsight add McCormack if you were being ultra critical. 

Really?   We barely scratched the surface of whether Lansbury, Hourihane and Adomah will be a great success or a total flop.

i'lll give you Jedinak and McCormack (unless we see something better from McCormack this season which is possible).

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't really get this. Of course it was, he was the owner of the club. 

I doubt Lerner managed at that much of a micro level he was in charge of contracts.  He would have just sanctioned signing that his manager / staff wanted that were within budget.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

The contracts might be stupid but there is no point complaining about stuff you can't change. It isn't hard to get a rough idea of what other clubs will offer players so you cut your losses and move on.

Say Richards is on £70k, the next club want to pay him £40k, so we pay off the remaining £30k per week for the rest of his contract. Yes it's annoying, yes it's wasted money but at least it's less wasted money. Worst case scenario is letting this contracts just run down with no benefit to the team or squad. If you basically promise to make up any shortfall in wages then I can't see why a player wouldn't move to get some actual game time.

So take the hit and clear the decks, even if we only save half the amount of the wages these players are on it'd still be worth it.

Thing is would anyone pay even £40k a week for Richards?  I get the impression his body is knackered and will wait out his contract here and retire.  

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt Lerner managed at that much of a micro level he was in charge of contracts.  He would have just sanctioned signing that his manager / staff wanted that were within budget.

True but he's hiring the people responsible, he's setting and agreeing budgets. He should have a grip on what is happening at the club. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

True but he's hiring the people responsible, he's setting and agreeing budgets. He should have a grip on what is happening at the club. 

True. I get the impression that Lerner was just a very bad businessman and owner. The state he left both Villa and Browns in suggests he meant well but just seemed to get everything wrong. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

True. I get the impression that Lerner was just a very bad businessman and owner. The state he left both Villa and Browns in suggests he meant well but just seemed to get everything wrong. 

He's an awful owner and businessman, I don't get why Xia would defend him. He did a terrible job and towards the end I can't even think that he meant well. 

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's an awful owner and businessman, I don't get why Xia would defend him. He did a terrible job and towards the end I can't even think that he meant well. 

Xia has no reason to attack him either. The only ones with disdain towards Lerner are those that were left frustrated and annoyed by his actions or lack-thereof. Xia doesn't have the same connection to Villa as we do, yes he's a Villa fan, but he also knows Lerner personally and got to know him during the months the sale was taking place. Xia's outlook on Lerner is radically different to ours, so of course he's not going to say anything negative about him as he has no real reason to. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Probably because I imagine he met him numerous times, is on good terms with him, did a huge business deal with him, and has an ounce of decorum. 

He'd hardly then turn around and slag him off on Twitter.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Probably because I imagine he met him numerous times, is on good terms with him, did a huge business deal with him, and has an ounce of decorum. 

He'd hardly then turn around and slag him off on Twitter.

I don't think he has to slag him off. Never asked him to. Don't know where you read that. 

But at the same time i find it strange he'd go out of his way to take any blame away from him when complaining about some of the terrible financial deals done while he was owner. 

Do we really know what the likes if Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury, McCormack earn though? Maybe they don't get as much as people think. Or, maybe they get a lower salary but higher bonuses for certain achievements, which, means they wouldn't have got that much last season.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think he has to slag him off. Never asked him to. Don't know where you read that. 

But at the same time i find it strange he'd go out of his way to take any blame away from him when complaining about some of the terrible financial deals done while he was owner. 

But him putting that tweet out, and someone replying showing that they'd clearly inferred that he was slagging off Randy may have made him want to clarify his position.

As in "shit, they think I'm slagging off Lerner, better make sure I'm clear"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But him putting that tweet out, and someone replying showing that they'd clearly inferred that he was slagging off Randy may have made him want to clarify his position.

As in "shit, they think I'm slagging off Lerner, better make sure I'm clear"

Yeah good point. 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

Do we really know what the likes if Jedinak, Hourihane, Lansbury, McCormack earn though? Maybe they don't get as much as people think. Or, maybe they get a lower salary but higher bonuses for certain achievements, which, means they wouldn't have got that much last season.

No we don't.  Where the hell did someone get Jed 50K and Lansbury 40K from??

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Really?   We barely scratched the surface of whether Lansbury, Hourihane and Adomah will be a great success or a total flop.

i'lll give you Jedinak and McCormack (unless we see something better from McCormack this season which is possible).

I agree but my point was that if they don't do anything g we will struggle to get rid of them on those types of wages that's all. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

Â