Jump to content

Tony Xia (no longer involved with AVFC)


Vancvillan
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

A bloke claiming to be a billionaire turning up in a suit that looked like it was the last on the racks in Matalan that clearly didn't fit was the final moment for me.

It was dodgy all along with no record really of who he was, where the money was coming from, what he actually did. But then he rocked up looking like he was wearing his dad's suit at a funeral... A rich man doesn't do that. Even if he doesn't care, he's going to be shopping in places that will do that kind of thing for him.

Dodgy as ****. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one from SKY is kinda fun in hindsight. They clearly put a lot of time and their best investigating journalists behind it.

Quote

Dr Tony Xia

Who is Dr Tony Xia? All you need to know about Aston Villa's new owner

 

Aston Villa have a new owner after Randy Lerner agreed to sell the club to the Recon Group, owned by Chinese businessman Dr Tony Jiantong Xia.

The deal - worth between £60 and £70m - is for 100 per cent ownership and will go through subject to approval by the Premier League and Football League. But who is Dr Xia? Here is all you need to know about Villa's new owner…

After finishing his studies in China, Dr Xia was selected as one of 25 highly rated graduates out of 1,000 sent to study overseas. He spent six years at Harvard and MIT, including a five-month exchange at Oxford University, before returning to China to build Recon Group.

:snip::snip::snip:

One thing that will please the Villa faithful is that Dr Xia loves his football.

He played the game, featuring as a striker until he finished at college and his passion for the sport has continued ever since.

And according to Aston Villa's official website, Villa has had a place in his life since becoming a fan "many years ago".

 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10287719/who-is-dr-tony-xia-all-you-need-to-know-about-aston-villas-new-owner

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sne said:

This one from SKY is kinda fun in hindsight. They clearly put a lot of time and their best investigating journalists behind it.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/10287719/who-is-dr-tony-xia-all-you-need-to-know-about-aston-villas-new-owner

Its a tough read, some Wiki journalism. Surprisingly no mention he went to college at 14 as a child prodigy

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that really bugged me around the Xia Era was that people immediately jumped to their conclusion just because of some of the things that are mentioned in that Al Jazeera video: Trusts, Nominee Shareholders, <5% owners that don’t need to be disclosed, companies based in tax havens etc.
 

Admittedly, Samuelson’s presence (and then subsequently Xia’s appearance, manner and the subsequent unravelling of his backstory) made everyone start to believe, or at least question, what they had previously hoped was just rumours - but the opaque ownership structure and use of tax havens and similar things is extremely common in many massive and, seemingly, legitimate businesses. Even massive companies that we all use regularly use these types of arrangements, so that bugged me a bit. The twitter and Facebook wannabe investigators claiming they had the scoop.

I specifically remember that ‘KeithVillan’ on twitter telling people to mark his words that Samuelson was going to asset strip us and that we wouldn’t be a club in 2 years time. Admittedly, that almost happened, but it wasn’t Samuelson stripping the club Keith you silly sausage, it was Tony!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chindie said:

A bloke claiming to be a billionaire turning up in a suit that looked like it was the last on the racks in Matalan that clearly didn't fit was the final moment for me.

It was dodgy all along with no record really of who he was, where the money was coming from, what he actually did. But then he rocked up looking like he was wearing his dad's suit at a funeral... A rich man doesn't do that. Even if he doesn't care, he's going to be shopping in places that will do that kind of thing for him.

Dodgy as ****. 

Not to mention he went to pick up Roberto Di Matteo in a Ford Mondeo.  That's when I got suspicious.  What kind of Billionaire drives a Mondeo? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Not to mention he went to pick up Roberto Di Matteo in a Ford Mondeo.  That's when I go suspicious.  What kind of Billionaire drives a Mondeo? 

One who cannot afFord anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

It's not unheard of for exceptionally wealthy people to eschew fancy cars and clothes. Bezos famously continued to drive his Honda Accord while he was the richest man in the world. I think Zuckerberg drives a generic econobox as well.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

OT, but I've never heard that John Motson commentary of Peter Withe's goal in the final. Where did that come from or which broadcast?

I just watched it and I'm pretty sure it was an actor mimicking Motson's voice. They had that for other clubs featured too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's not unheard of for exceptionally wealthy people to eschew fancy cars and clothes. Bezos famously continued to drive his Honda Accord while he was the richest man in the world. I think Zuckerberg drives a generic econobox as well.

 

Warren Buffett drives a standard Cadillac as well and has a McMuffin every morning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a Vital Villa podcast interview with Keith Wyness.

https://anchor.fm/total-villan/episodes/Secrets-of-an-Aston-Villa-CEO-w-Keith-Wyness--Grealish--Bruce-Exclusives-e15eu8s/a-a69ces5

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-vital-villa-podcast-an-aston-villa-podcast/id1533584929?i=1000531045942

TLDR; he blames Xia for everything but doesn't go into any real specifics. Has some interesting stuff to say about McCormack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â