Keinan Davis

a-k

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think it’s that hard to understand. Smith plays 1 striker so he needs 3 strikers in his squad.

Our aim this season was a mid table finish, and he’s signed players good enough to achieve that (even if Watkins gets injured).

We don't have 3 strikers in the squad, we have 2 plus maybe a hope that Traore could do a job there.

If Watkins got injured, we would be much weaker. I think it would be hard for us not to finish mid-table at this point (I suppose it depends exactly how 'mid-table' is defined) but our results would take a nose-dive and we would be living off our good start to the season (IMO of course).

• Like 1

Needs to go out on loan. I really like the lad and think he’s a lot better than the stick he gets but he just isn’t going to get minutes here and a productive spell elsewhere could be the kickstart he hopefully needs.

Traore can also play ST and hopefully Wesley will be returning in the next month or so. 

• Like 2

Really can’t see any reason for Davis to get any stick last night. Only made one error – a miscontrol that fell to a Villa player anyway. Apart from that he made an intelligent run to find space and put a tricky header wide, held off Bailly and saw his cross blocked for a corner, then outmuscled Maguire and reacted fastest to the ball dropping between them (one touch control, right foot to left foot, low hard shot, incredible block by Bailly). In fact, if Davis had been a bit LESS sharp with that final one we could easily have had a penalty as Maguire swung his boot wildly through the airspace where Keinan had already nicked the ball away. If anything, and not for the first time, I think the change of putting Davis down the middle and Watkins out wide could be made sooner when we are trailing and need to try something different.

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 4

Thought that was his big moment in the last few seconds of the game yesterday.

I just can’t stand the thought of letting him go and him becoming the player many of us think he can become but elsewhere.

I would start him in the cup against Liverpool, give Watkins a rest and perhaps a little reminder that his place in the team is not guaranteed.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Thought that was his big moment in the last few seconds of the game yesterday.

I just can’t stand the thought of letting him go and him becoming the player many of us think he can become but elsewhere.

I would start him in the cup against Liverpool, give Watkins a rest and perhaps a little reminder that his place in the team is not guaranteed.

Genuine question, what player is it you think he can become? Because to me he just isn’t a goal scorer at this level and I can’t see that changing.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Genuine question, what player is it you think he can become? Because to me he just isn’t a goal scorer at this level and I can’t see that changing.

I think he can be a useful 5-10 goals a season rotational player at PL level, perhaps more if he really finds his confidence.

He’s shown bags of ability in glimpses, on his debut he was literally unplayable against Norwich, ran their defence ragged, admittedly at championship level of course.

I think if we plan to keep him then he needs a season of regular football to see what he can do.  He is not going to get that at Villa and isn’t really going to be able to show what he can do with 10 minute cameos when we are chasing a game. 

I personalise don’t think he will ever be good enough for us or this league and will end up being a championship player.  But I get why many think he has what he takes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think he can be a useful 5-10 goals a season rotational player at PL level, perhaps more if he really finds his confidence.

He’s shown bags of ability in glimpses, on his debut he was literally unplayable against Norwich, ran their defence ragged, admittedly at championship level of course.

Hold up link up play is decent but just don’t see anything to make me think he can score those goals at this level. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, penguin said:

Needs to go out on loan. I really like the lad and think he’s a lot better than the stick he gets but he just isn’t going to get minutes here and a productive spell elsewhere could be the kickstart he hopefully needs.

Traore can also play ST and hopefully Wesley will be returning in the next month or so. 

Pretty much my sentiments as well. But would much prefer bringing in a proper striker to have the flexibility to send him on a loan.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People keep saying 5-10 goals but where is this coming from?

Honestly I know I’m biased but he never looks like scoring and more importantly doesn’t actually score but suddenly he’s going to score.  

Even more bizarre that as rotational player as you mention, let’s say 50% of PL games which is 19 games, means at 9 or 10 goals......so a 1 in 2 ratio scoring.  It makes no sense in comparison to reality or history.  

In 2,250 minutes of his career in Championship and PL league football he has scored 2 goals and they were both in the Championship.  He turns 23 next month, he’s not a kid anymore.

Edited by nick76

Has to get game time out on loan. You can't really judge him on 10-15 minute run outs. We need to bring in another forward in Jan and send him on loan to a championship club. It's a bit frustrating to watch Davies as he has all the attributes for a big forward, apart from goal scoring. 

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think it’s that hard to understand. Smith plays 1 striker so he needs 3 strikers in his squad.

Our aim this season was a mid table finish, and he’s signed players good enough to achieve that (even if Watkins gets injured).

Next summer we’ll no doubt add some talent and Davis will be moved on.

I don’t really like the stick Davis gets though. I think he’ll be a useful player at Championship level (or even lower half PL) with a manager who plays a front 2.

That chance today was well defended and plenty of strikers would have done f all with it.

quite right too.....it was well blocked.....but it also higlights the quickness of thought as this level, you have to be really sharp in the thinking dep't.

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Hold up link up play is decent but just don’t see anything to make me think he can score those goals at this level. 

What I'd give for his scoring record to be like Shane Long. Then that link up hold up is useful.

53 minutes ago, nick76 said:

People keep saying 5-10 goals but where is this coming from?

Honestly I know I’m biased but he never looks like scoring and more importantly doesn’t actually score but suddenly he’s going to score.  

Even more bizarre that as rotational player as you mention, let’s say 50% of PL games which is 19 games, means at 9 or 10 goals......so a 1 in 2 ratio scoring.  It makes no sense in comparison to reality or history.  

In 2,250 minutes of his career in Championship and PL league football he has scored 2 goals and they were both in the Championship.  He turns 23 next month, he’s not a kid anymore.

I like Keinan, but I don't think he will fit in with what we are planning and how we are playing.....He has presence and a target, but its not enough.

We need a prolific scorer, one who is sharp in the box, a quick thinker and quick mover, one who can take and give out the physical rigours of the game.....an Ings or Vardy type.....even our own Dean Saunders.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â