Keinan Davis

a-k

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Loan him to someone like Albion or Sheffield United with the caveat "as long as he gets some miles on the clock" 

loan him to "Uber" then.

17 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t understand why doesn’t he play more? 

Because Martinez is a better goalkeeper and Mings/Konsa are better defenders. 

Obviously i wouldn't play him as a striker because he can't score goals. 

• Like 1

Don't want to see Davis in a Villa shirt ever again, though I know I will.

We need better options up front. At the moment Dean seems to be happy with Watkins + Davis for support, patiently waiting for some distant future when Wesley Moraes is able to run with a ball again (if he ever could). Also patiently hoping that 17 y.o. Louie Barry will be as good as everyone hopes.

That's not good enough. Missing out on Callum Wilson has, in hindsight, cost us points. And what that proves and underlines is that we need to buy another striker if we want to do as well as we can do this season. 

Edited by est1874
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We need better options up front. At the moment Dean seems to be happy with Watkins + Davis for support, patiently waiting for some distant future when Wesley Moraes is able to run with a ball again (if he ever could). Also patiently hoping that 17 y.o. Louie Barry will be as good as everyone hopes.

That's not good enough. Missing out on Callum Wilson has, in hindsight, cost us points. And what that proves and underlines is that we need to buy another striker if we want to do as well as we can do this season. 

I too would like another quality striker. That's easier said than done this time of year but if Watkins picks up an injury i dread to think. I havent written off Davis, just don't think he's striker material! He could play as a forward in behind though.

I think other areas of the pitch we're in pretty good shape. 

13 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Yep, not signing a striker who has scored only once from open play (and twice overall) in the past two months has cost us points.

• Like 1

Let's loan him out to the B-lose to replace the ineffective Hogan.

Win win .... if he scores we get to see his capability and we can either bring him back or sell him (maybe even to them and then he stops scoring like Agent Hogan) and if he doesn't then B-lose are completely stuffed and may get relegated!!

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

He's got 8 goals and 3 assists in 14 games. Behave 🙄

Ollie: 5 + 1 pen, 2 assists in 15 games

Wilson: 4 + 4 pens, 3 assists in 14 games

Is there really that drastic of a difference? This also discounts all the other things Ollie brings to the table that makes our team better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a-k said:

Ollie: 5 + 1 pen, 2 assists in 15 games

Wilson: 4 + 4 pens, 3 assists in 14 games

Is there really that drastic of a difference? This also discounts all the other things Ollie brings to the table that makes our team better.

I never positioned it as Ollie vs Wilson, that's all you.

Quite the opposite - my point is that to be a successful club we need more than one idea upfront. Unless of course your one idea happens to be world-class, but few clubs can boast that when it comes to striking options, and certainly not us.

Having the likes of a Wilson or similar as an alternative to Ollie would have obviously made us stronger. I don't get why it has to be one or the other, particularly when an injury to Watkins could leave us horribly exposed. Again.

The bottom line is that Davis is essentially useless as a back-up, and we need to invest in better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Quite the opposite - my point is that to be a successful club we need more than one idea upfront. Unless of course your one idea happens to be world-class, but few clubs can boast that when it comes to striking options, and certainly not us.

Having the likes of a Wilson or similar as an alternative to Ollie would have obviously made us stronger. I don't get why it has to be one or the other, particularly when an injury to Watkins could leave us horribly exposed. Again.

The bottom line is that Davis is essentially useless as a back-up, and we need to invest in better.

The reason that I positioned it as one vs the other is because we did not have the funds to sign two strikers capable of being in the first XI, nor would it have made sense in Deano's single striker formation. That's all. If FFP did not exist, it is highly likely we would have signed another striker.

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

I would never refer to Keinan as useless.

Frustratingly limited at scoring goals, but useless?......not for me.

I endorse your suggestion at getting another stiker in, but the highlighted bit is a bit profound for me.

Ps I think we need to improve, just a case of when?......but none of our players are useless inc Taylor.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

On 02/01/2021 at 11:58, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

We need better to move on FKM . I like his attitude, but hes like Connor, not good enough at this level.

You may well be right. But I’m afraid I have gone too far out on this Keinan Davis limb – promising people there is rich fruit at the end – to consider turning back now.

I remember texting people after seeing him come on against Brighton in the last game of our first Championship season. (“THIS guy! Kelvin Davies! Remember the name!”). Goal kicks were being taken on the chest à la Benteke, wild passes killed dead with telescopic legs, gnarly old 30-something defenders bouncing off this kid in all directions. The internet still had him at 5’9”, but he was clearly a 6ft-plus unit. 

Then, of course, there was his magnum opus in the 4-2 against Norwich the following season. A display of authority beyond his years. I suppose, looking back, it was perhaps telling that he did “everything but score.”

Later, towards the end of that one long run in the team under Bruce, he was clearly flagging. Those long balls weren’t being pulled out of the sky like before, nothing was quite sticking, he looked jaded, trying too hard. And then the injuries. Then more injuries. And, ever since, just these glimpses of what might have been (all accompanied by an almost inexplicable number of fingertip saves!).

So, yep, I know I have long since drifted into the territory of “blinkered” faith. And, along the way, I have had to concede that there seems to be little killer instinct. No fox-in-the-box devil. But I wouldn’t quite call it “blind” faith. There’s something there, I tell you, gosh darn it. Something!!! 

And this weekend? Perfect hat-trick coming up. This time I can feel it my bones! Left foot, right foot, header. Boom. Yes, Keinan. Yes!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

You may well be right. But I’m afraid I have gone too far out on this Keinan Davis limb – promising people there is rich fruit at the end – to consider turning back now.

I remember texting people after seeing him come on against Brighton in the last game of our first Championship season. (“THIS guy! Kelvin Davies! Remember the name!”). Goal kicks were being taken on the chest à la Benteke, wild passes killed dead with telescopic legs, gnarly old 30-something defenders bouncing off this kid in all directions. The internet still had him at 5’9”, but he was clearly a 6ft-plus unit. 

Then, of course, there was his magnum opus in the 4-2 against Norwich the following season. A display of authority beyond his years. I suppose, looking back, it was perhaps telling that he did “everything but score.”

Later, towards the end of that one long run in the team under Bruce, he was clearly flagging. Those long balls weren’t being pulled out of the sky like before, nothing was quite sticking, he looked jaded, trying too hard. And then the injuries. Then more injuries. And, ever since, just these glimpses of what might have been (all accompanied by an almost inexplicable number of fingertip saves!).

So, yep, I know I have long since drifted into the territory of “blinkered” faith. And, along the way, I have had to concede that there seems to be little killer instinct. No fox-in-the-box devil. But I wouldn’t quite call it “blind” faith. There’s something there, I tell you, gosh darn it. Something!!! 

And this weekend? Perfect hat-trick coming up. This time I can feel it my bones! Left foot, right foot, header. Boom. Yes, Keinan. Yes!!!

Oooo I say.....

carry on teacher GIF

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I would never refer to Keinan as useless.

Frustratingly limited at scoring goals, but useless?......not for me.

I endorse your suggestion at getting another stiker in, but the highlighted bit is a bit profound for me.

Ps I think we need to improve, just a case of when?......but none of our players are useless inc Taylor.

Profound? Not sure that's the word you wanted, judging by everything else you wrote.

I stand by my assessment on the basis of mounds of evidence.

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Apparently in talks with Stoke about a loan move for rest of the season 

Hopefully means we are looking to bring somebody in because Wes looks to be still a fair bit away from first team football given he’s only just started non-contact with the first team squad.

14 hours ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

This is where I am too 😁

Happy for him to go out on loan getting game time in the Championship if we can bring in a better backup striker first. He'll still have a (brighter) future here afterwards.

• Like 2

Â