Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Tbh, I'd still take a look at Walters, even at 34. He seems like the type of 'wise head' that we've been missing. Him (or someone like him) plus an experienced centre midfielder like Gareth Barry (or someone more realistic) could have a big impact in our team.

I'd also be tempted to look at a current Prem backup keeper, who we could maybe tempt to drop down to the Championship in the hope that they'll be our first choice keeper when (if) we come back up. Someone like Myhill, Vorm or Hennessey. (Though I know the latter two may not come as Vorm is probably on decent money at Spurs and Hennessey has become first choice at Palace. But they were just the first names I could think of).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Gareth Barry would be an amazing signing for us at Championship Level.

Unfortunately I think he's got a couple of years in the prem still left in him.

Is Barry's contract up? He still has big connections here so if there's any chance we should get him. Exactly the type of leader we need. We should've got him when he went to Everton. He'd be ideal for becoming player coach over time. 

Gareth Barry would be an amazing signing for us at Championship Level.

Unfortunately I think he's got a couple of years in the prem still left in him.

Maybe he'd see it as a way of building some bridges with the fans of the club he apparently still holds close to his heart?

/optimism

3 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Is Barry's contract up? He still has big connections here so if there's any chance we should get him. Exactly the type of leader we need. We should've got him when he went to Everton. He'd be ideal for becoming player coach over time. 

One year left I think but I can see Everton willing to let him go.

Starting to struggle with the tempo, yellow card almost every game.

Having Barry instead of Westwood would be an massive improvement for us, we need calmer heads in midfield

• Like 2

Keeper - David Marshall at Cardiff or Tom Heaton at Burnley would be my choices. A centre half is a must because Richards and possibly Lescott will go.  Lewis Dunk I like or a possible Premiership loan to keep costs down (Fonte, Chester, Caulker)?  We desperately need a change or two in midfield, Jedinak, Bridcutt, Osman, Britton, Charlie Adam, Bradley Johnson, are gettable targets in my opinion but agree with previous posts, Barry would be amazing!  Unlikely signing though, too good for where we will be and too much in salary.  Offensively, I would keep Gestede but think we will loose Ayew.  Would rather Agbonlahor and Sinclair go too, so along with integrating Sellars, Robinson and Hepburn possibly we will need someone else.  Dwight Gayle, Shane Long, Nahki Wells, Joe Lolley and even Jon Walters is a good shout for a season.  A winger who can cross would be good too but can't think of one right now?

Shane Long was linked with Liverpool in January and on a decent contract at Southampton, not a chance he is coming to Villa and even if he was mad and wanted to join we couldnt afford him

Edited by Zatman

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just want some decent players who give a shit. I've got such a hatred of most of our team I want some new players to get behind...

said Adam Johnson about Sunderland girls team...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just want some decent players who give a shit. I've got such a hatred of most of our team I want some new players to get behind. 

Agreed. On the last home game of the season they all need to get absolute dogs abuse, especially on the lap of 'dishonor'. They are all pathetic, spineless words removed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sne said:

One year left I think but I can see Everton willing to let him go.

Starting to struggle with the tempo, yellow card almost every game.

Having Barry instead of Westwood would be an massive improvement for us, we need calmer heads in midfield

He's had a far better season this year than last year when he was off the pace and Goodison was starting to get on his back, think AG would confirm this.

Don't forget aswell he's I think 20 games off beating the late Gary Speed's all time premier league appearence record so doubt he'll be dropping down to the championship anytime soon.

Would love him back though, can move Westwood to cleaning his boots.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's had a far better season this year than last year when he was off the pace and Goodison was starting to get on his back, think AG would confirm this.

Don't forget aswell he's I think 20 games off beating the late Gary Speed's all time premier league appearence record so doubt he'll be dropping down to the championship anytime soon.

Would love him back though, can move Westwood to cleaning his boots.

According to wiki he's third (573) in the list behind Lampard (609) and Giggs (634). For the record, Speed is fifth behind David James.

Regardless of all that I think if there was the remotest chance of getting him it would be a no brainer. Perfect captain for us, experience and knows Villa. But it isn't going to happen, he's still far too good for the Championship. Watching him versus us a few weeks back and he'd still easily replace any of our first eleven... although perhaps that isn't much of an endorsement...

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Barry is the same as every footballer, if you offer him a deal that prolongs his professional life he'll sign it, he's got one year left, if we offered him a 3 year deal he'd be tempted

Otherwise known as a 'Shay Given special'. 

Darren Randolph has impressed me a lot in his games for ireland and did well for west ham in the cup vs Liverpool when I watched it, get him signed up, he woukd be cheap and eager for first team football I reckon.