Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

It's actually a bit mental the level of transfer business that goes on in the championship - nearly every team swapping a third of their squads, and most net spends between 0 and 10 mill. Fulham with 23 players out, Sheffield Weds with 20 coming in. Us talking about 10 out and 10 in, well that's the norm down there and usually for minimum net spend. We will be the Man City of the division. 

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Championship-transfers-did-club-spend-summer/story-27741795-detail/story.html

6 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

While I'd like to get rid of almost everyone, realistically we simply won't be able to sign 25 new players in the summer which means we'll have to keep hold of a few more. Going with a guess of needing to keep 10 players, I'd keep:

1. Bunn - preferably as back up
  2. Baker - had a season in the Championship and at least has a bit of fight
  3. Amavi - looked like he had potential in the games he played
  4. Gardner - has plenty of Championship experience. If he hasn't nailed down a starting spot by January then it will be time to let him go.
  5. Grealish - attitude sucks but young enough and has potential
  6. Gana - there is a half decent player in there
  7. Veretout - ditto Gana
  8. Adama - we haven't really seen him yet and I still want to
  9. Ayew - occasionally looks like a Premier League player
  10. Gestede - has scored goals at Championship level. Goes without saying that if we are ever promoted he needs to be shipped out.

Whoever is still here needs to be given a clean slate from the fans, and the chance to try and redeem themselves.

Agreed. Also, I would suggest, Okore and Clark.

Add in Lyden, Green, and a couple more of the youngsters.

And, of course, as we all know, a new striker, a strong midfielder, and a new keeper are a must.  

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Agreed. Also, I would suggest, Okore and Clark.

Add in Lyden, Green, and a couple more of the youngsters.

And, of course, as we all know, a new striker, a strong midfielder, and a new keeper are a must.  

Not convinced about Okore or Clark, but if they'll still here next season then as far as I'm concerned they'll be given a chance to redeem themselves. And the youngsters should be exempt from any purge for now.

Ultimately we need a new spine. Last season we sold Vlaar, Delph and Benteke, and while some of the replacements looked ok on paper, they didn't have what it took to form the spine of a new team. Get the spine right, and some of the players around them might suddenly start to look decent.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's actually a bit mental the level of transfer business that goes on in the championship - nearly every team swapping a third of their squads, and most net spends between 0 and 10 mill. Fulham with 23 players out, Sheffield Weds with 20 coming in. Us talking about 10 out and 10 in, well that's the norm down there and usually for minimum net spend. We will be the Man City of the division. 

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Championship-transfers-did-club-spend-summer/story-27741795-detail/story.html

Interesting, and something I hadn't really considered. The difference for Villa may be how difficult it will be to offload some our players, given their poor performance and relatively high wages.

Do we have any idea what sort of (if any) relegation clauses most of our current squad have?

It's tough deciding who I'd keep in our squad (assuming we could keep "everyone").

I think I'd want to keep Ayew, Traore, Amavi and Gueye.

I think there's enough potential in Veretout, Okore, Gil and Grealish to keep them.

I think Clark, Westwood, Gardner and Gestede would do as squad players.

The rest to be shifted on and replaced please (excluding youth players such as Lyden, who will hopefully stay and be decent).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Interesting, and something I hadn't really considered. The difference for Villa may be how difficult it will be to offload some our players, given their poor performance and relatively high wages.

Do we have any idea what sort of (if any) relegation clauses most of our current squad have?

Clauses apparently in all new contracts or extensions of the last couple of seasons. Nzogbia expired also, we can pay the wages of about 4 championship players right there. Like you said earlier, get rid of the poison players (could even just buy Gabby out) and replace with 3 or 4 leaders and I agree, we'll see improvement accross the squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Clauses apparently in all new contracts or extensions of the last couple of seasons. Nzogbia expired also, we can pay the wages of about 4 championship players right there. Like you said earlier, get rid of the poison players (could even just buy Gabby out) and replace with 3 or 4 leaders and I agree, we'll see improvement accross the squad.

The team might still not be good enough, but at least we might get some pleasure watching them.

Going from what we have now I'd like to see something like this next season

New GK

New RB       New CB       New CB       Amavi

Gardner       Gana       Veretout

Adama                                            Grealish

Ayew

No doubt a few of these players will look to get a move away from here, but atm it's what I'd have.

Obviously I'd love some better quality in midfield and a more prolific striker, but not sure we'll have the money for it.

This would mean almost an entire new back 5, but what we have is crap, expensive crap. Keeping the likes of Baker & Clark as back ups is too steep for a Championship team Imo, or at least money that could be better invested. I'd probably keep Okore, but I think he'll be off.

As for getting rid of the really expensive ones, who knows, but if we can't sell em' I rather we loaned out the likes of Gabby, Sinclair, Richards, Bacuna, Lescott... than have them poisoning the dressing room. Whoever the new manager is he should not have to handle this lot.

Won't drag on and make this a saga, but in "short" this is my thinking atm

Edited by sne

Don't disagree with the back, but if we don't sign a decent forward we'll carry on plummeting.  Goal scorers win you games - and despite all the problems with our keepers and defence, if we'd been scoring, we'd be a lot closer to safety.  Number one priority for me.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

New GK

Ayew

No doubt a few of these players will look to get a move away from here, but atm it's what I'd have.

Obviously I'd love some better quality in midfield and a more prolific striker, but not sure we'll have the money for it.

This would mean almost an entire new back 5, but what we have is crap, expensive crap. Keeping the likes of Baker & Clark as back ups is too steep for a Championship team Imo, or at least money that could be better invested. I'd probably keep Okore, but I think he'll be off.

As for getting rid of the really expensive ones, who knows, but if we can't sell em' I rather we loaned out the likes of Gabby, Sinclair, Richards, Bacuna, Lescott... than have them poisoning the dressing room. Whoever the new manager is he should not have to handle this lot.

I agree totally with those 4 positions as priority with a new striker, but i'd also add getting a centre mid with a huge pair of bollocks. I'd also keep Okore if possible, but with his contract running out it's not as easy to force him to stay - which I would do with Adama, Amavi, Ayew, Gana and Veretout release clause permitting.

Priority for me would be wingers and a right back. Wingers so that we finally have some attacking way of playing. We will never win a lot of matches without wingers. Grealish is better when playing just behind the striker and Adama to injury prone. Hutton is our weakest player and too blame for too many goals this season to count, so has to be replaced. Another priority we have to look at is we HAVE to stop playing with three deep lying central midfielders, we've done it for ages and it is not working (hence no other decent team in the premier league does it) 

27 minutes ago, sne said:

New GK

Ayew

Which is why I disagree with this, Gardner is excelling as a deep lying midfielder, Gana is a ball winner and nearly useless when going past the midfield and Veretout offers nothing when going forward, he would suit the Carrick role the best. We can not keep on using three non threatening central midfielders. If we are going to use an attacking midfielder it must be someone like Grealish, who concentrates on the attacking aspect and offers threats (be it through dribbling or whatever) or finally giving Gil an opportunity there. Veretout always ends back deep in the midfield. Otherwise I do agree with most of the team, keeping Ayew could be crucial as I do see potential in him. Though he might need a strike partner, as he seems to perform better deeper and when going on runs from the wings. 

So the most important points for me, get in proper wingers. Easiest and most effective way of attacking, hence almost all the teams in the world except us use them. would also take pressure of our fullbacks and let them defend instead of seeing Hutton trying to cross.and to STOP playing three deep lying midfielders. 

12 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Priority for me would be wingers and a right back. Wingers so that we finally have some attacking way of playing. We will never win a lot of matches without wingers. Grealish is better when playing just behind the striker and Adama to injury prone. Hutton is our weakest player and too blame for too many goals this season to count, so has to be replaced. Another priority we have to look at is we HAVE to stop playing with three deep lying central midfielders, we've done it for ages and it is not working (hence no other decent team in the premier league does it) 

Which is why I disagree with this, Gardner is excelling as a deep lying midfielder, Gana is a ball winner and nearly useless when going past the midfield and Veretout offers nothing when going forward, he would suit the Carrick role the best. We can not keep on using three non threatening central midfielders. If we are going to use an attacking midfielder it must be someone like Grealish, who concentrates on the attacking aspect and offers threats (be it through dribbling or whatever) or finally giving Gil an opportunity there. Veretout always ends back deep in the midfield. Otherwise I do agree with most of the team, keeping Ayew could be crucial as I do see potential in him. Though he might need a strike partner, as he seems to perform better deeper and when going on runs from the wings. 

So the most important points for me, get in proper wingers. Easiest and most effective way of attacking, hence almost all the teams in the world except us use them. would also take pressure of our fullbacks and let them defend instead of seeing Hutton trying to cross.and to STOP playing three deep lying midfielders. 

Well yeah the team I listed is far from perfect, but somewhat realistic I think.

I think Veretout could work in a more forward role, more like he played for Nantes but that team would still lack creativity and  if we could get a quality winger in and play Grealish more central I'm all for it.

Same with Ayew, he had his best season when played as a striker at Lorient, saw him a few time on telly for then and he did well.

Adama I think IF he stays will do well, don't think he's more injury prone than other players although always a risk with explosive players like him.

Maybe a 4-4-2 diamond formation would do well for us.

I know it's a bit too offensive but having Ayew linked up with another solid incoming striker would work.

But I doubt Ayew will stay. I think he will go to another low midtable PL site or back to the Ligue 1.

Get Dwight Gayle in and maybe the NG'Bakoto guy from Ligue 2. (Only a suggestion).

Than we have Grealish in the number 10 role and a defensive minded CDM behind him.

On the right side I would keep Adama, as he can be very explosive.

On the left side I would like to see an incoming, although we still have Sinclair.

I know he has been very poor this season, but 2010/2011 he has proven himself on Championship level.

As a backup he would be expensive but usefull maybe. But I wouldn't be sad if he leaves.

We surely need a new Right Back. I don't know who. I have suggested Bardsley earlier.

In the Central Defense I would keep both Clark and Okore, and buy 2 new ones, and Donacien as the 5th one.

Left Back I would definatly keep Amavi, and I would give Kinsella his chance as a backup.

For the Goalkeeper I would only keep Steer as a backup, and bring Bentley or anyone else with potential or experience in. Bunn can go.

Here's my current transfer thoughts, based on the criteria of 'experienced, inexpensive with PASSION' (I refuse to use the popular incorrect spelling of this word!)

GK - Myhill

RW - Jonathan Walters

CM - Charlie Adam

LW/ST - Jason Puncheon

.... reading those players back.... Aston Cloggers FC

1 hour ago, nnock1984 said:

Jerome Sinclair wants to leave Plop for regular game time - I reckon we could be in with a shout if we go for him! 

No chance. He signed pre-contract with Watford last month and will move there in July 

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Here's my current transfer thoughts, based on the criteria of 'experienced, inexpensive with PASSION' (I refuse to use the popular incorrect spelling of this word!)

GK - Myhill

RW - Jonathan Walters

CM - Charlie Adam

LW/ST - Jason Puncheon

.... reading those players back.... Aston Cloggers FC

and worryingly all 4 would stroll into the current team 

• Like 1