Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's fair enough.

Is the 25m purely from what you think we'll bring in on sales Richard?

I think the thing people need to remember is it isn't the premier league anymore, you don't need to spend the small GDP of an African country to be competitive in the championship. Our neighbours down the road, Cardiff and Brighton are all teams in the top 8 who spent hardly anything in the summer.

Burnley used most of their budget on Gray and then added a free transfer like Barton and a 1m Lowton....

How much we spend after last summer dosen't bother me....we need players of the right character and bottle. Having some pace aswell would help.

The thing is those teams just bought to supplement , we will need virtually a complete new team

• Like 1

Change too much and we risk having a complete imbalance again....

we're in a really difficult situation here, could go horribly wrong again next season. 

Edited by Tayls

If Richard is right, and we have about £25m to spend, which sounds plausible, we'll need to spend about half of that on a genuinely quality striker. We're bad at the back but we're even worse going forward. The going rate now for a Championship striker is only a bit shy of £15m. 

I agree it's all about building a new "promotion strength" spine. I think we'll have enough elsewhere one way or another but the spine is shocking and the reason we are where we are. Awful mistake ridden keepers & central defence (not helped by the ridiculous and constant changes), weak & inconsistent defensive midfielders, and absolutely shocking strikers! If we can sort that little lot out we have a great chance in my opinion with the right manager.

Of course we need a bit more than that but that would make a huge difference for starters.

• Like 1

----------------New GK ----------------

New RB--Okore--New CB*--Amavi

--------Westwood--Sanchez --------

Ayew-------------Gil --------- New winger

---------------New striker ---------------

*Clark might be ok if him and Okore can work well together as they have done in the past.

Obviously it's not a perfect team but if we're looking for minimal squad upheaval then I think that team could do well in the Championship provided the poisonous influences are all sold or isolated. I do fear though that the club will try and shift the foreign players first. This isn't based on anything other than the ludicrous British manager requirement but I get the impression that there are people within the club who think the influx of foreign players in the summer is one of the main reasons for our bad season and that more British players will somehow improve the situation.

Of the senior players I'd keep Gana, Amavi, Grealish, Adama, Ayew, Baker and Clark. The rest can go swivel. The rest are either not good enough at that level or have been an utter disgrace. I'd rather start 2 men down every week than watch Lescott and Richards amble around the pitch for us again.

25 mill laughable

3 quarters of the team needs replacing and people mentioning that cardiff and burnley have done alright spending very little well they are already established championship sides with players who know the division

If we see the likes of Gil Westwood next season were going to get destroyed

Edited by AshVilla

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Of the senior players I'd keep Gana, Amavi, Grealish, Adama, Ayew, Baker and Clark. The rest can go swivel. The rest are either not good enough at that level or have been an utter disgrace. I'd rather start 2 men down every week than watch Lescott and Richards amble around the pitch for us again.

I'd remove Baker and Clark from your list and add in Veretout and Gestede. They've been more or less shit this season, but I think they'll do ok in the Championship.

And whilst I wouldn't say I want them, I think Westwood and Gil will be here next season and again will probably do ok at that level.

But yeah, everyone else can **** off.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd remove Baker and Clark from your list and add in Veretout and Gestede. They've been more or less shit this season, but I think they'll do ok in the Championship.

And whilst I wouldn't say I want them, I think Westwood and Gil will be here next season and again will probably do ok at that level.

But yeah, everyone else can **** off.

There's no point getting rid of Baker, surely the entire advantage of loaning him to the Championship is that he's got a year of experience at that level. Was playing pretty well as well the last time I checked (which was a month or two ago admittedly). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's no point getting rid of Baker, surely the entire advantage of loaning him to the Championship is that he's got a year of experience at that level. Was playing pretty well as well the last time I checked (which was a month or two ago admittedly). 

After a 5minute research into what Bristol City fans think of Baker on their forum, its sounds like he's the same as he was here.

General gist, is occasional good player but you're always waiting for the inevitable huge mistake 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's the shittest of our centrebacks, who are all completely shit.

I'd get rid of the lot of them.

Okore would be the one I'd want to hold onto, but even he's blown it in recent weeks both on and off the pitch.

Edited by Stevo985

So if we sell just these players at a loss of a couple of mill per head on average, I make that 27 mill from 4 players alone.

Gana - 7mill

Veretout - 7

Amavi - 7

Traore - 6

Throw in Richards - 4 mill, Gabby - 1 mill (with luck), Guzan - 1 mill,  Sanchez - 3 mill, Ayew - 6 mill - That's a total budget from player sales alone of 42 mill. Add Lerner's usual budget per summer, but halve it and say he adds £10 mill - We have a £52 million budget - all on championship wages. And that's taking losses on all our new recruits.

Am I being unrealistic here?

14 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Am I being unrealistic here?

Yes. To sell players you have to have somone who's willing to buy them. I can't imagine there will be many teams wanting to buy any of our players, especially not at the prices you have quoted. We have seen in the past how hard it is to sell players, e.g. the bomb squad.

Just now, villa89 said:

Yes. To sell players you have to have somone who's willing to buy them. I can't imagine there will be many teams wanting to buy any of our players, especially not at the prices you have quoted. We have seen in the past how hard it is to sell players, e.g. the bomb squad.

The foreign recruits will still be wanted this summer as they were last summer. The others still have a value and there will be managers on limited budgets in the bottom of the prem who will have them. I don't think that is unrealistic at all.

Add to that what championship clubs spent last season - highest spenders were Derby at £25 mill then teams like small heath who barely spent 1 million. 8 points seperates them in the top half of the table. If getting promotion was all about money spent - we'll be fine. If it's not, at least we will have the best budget in the league to attract a decent manager.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The foreign recruits will still be wanted this summer as they were last summer.

Some of them (Veretout and Traore) we know were wanted last summer. Now both have shown they aren't good enough to play week in week out and perform well for the worst team in the league. Do you think Leicester or Stoke are still going to want either player? No chance. All the foreign players we signed were "risks" and all have failed with the possible exception of Amavi although my personal opinion of him is that he too failed as his defending is an abomination.

Just now, villa89 said:

Some of them (Veretout and Traore) we know were wanted last summer. Now both have shown they aren't good enough to play week in week out and perform well for the worst team in the league. Do you think Leicester or Stoke are still going to want either player? No chance. All the foreign players we signed were "risks" and all have failed with the possible exception of Amavi although my personal opinion of him is that he too failed as his defending is an abomination.

Well yes actually, everything that has happened at the club in terms of how it has been run could easily be used to excuse individual players who only last season were coveted by many teams. Like Garde, a short bad spell in England does not wipe out their careers up until that point - hence Marseille wanting Gana for 8 mill. It's not the premiership teams who will be after them necessarily. And anyway, if the likes of Amavi and Traore stay, then good.