Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

44 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

What will get us out of the Championship then?

Mid to late twenties - what when players usually come into their prime? 

Players who have actually acheived something.

Yes, players come into their prime at 27 I agree. If you're a player who has spent most of his career playing in league one then that 'prime' isn't going to be up to much. It tells me he isn't a very good footballer.

I don't understand why some seem to think we need to find players who have experience in the championship.  We have several on loan there now.  We have many more who have played there somewhere along the way.  The goal frame is the same size.

I'm not saying I would count championship experience against a potential new signing, but I certainly wouldn't count it as a standard of the search.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yes, players come into their prime at 27 I agree. If you're a player who has spent most of his career playing in league one then that 'prime' isn't going to be up to much. It tells me he isn't a very good footballer.

In general you're correct but there's always the exceptions. Jamie Vardy for one and a lot of the Swansea squad that came up with them played through the divisions with them. Judge the player on ability not the standard they're playing. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Depends what you mean by "achieved something". 

52 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I don't understand why some seem to think we need to find players who have experience in the championship.  We have several on loan there now.  We have many more who have played there somewhere along the way.  The goal frame is the same size.

I'm not saying I would count championship experience against a potential new signing, but I certainly wouldn't count it as a standard of the search.  

I agree to an extent. For me I like the idea of players with experience at that level because we get a good idea of what they've performed like in the past. Signing players from abroad can sometimes be a masterstroke and you can find real gems like Mahrez but they can also take their time to adapt. Moving house, new culture, new language (possibly) all can take its toll. So I think players who have played here and have proven themsleves would be favourable signings because they should be able to hit the ground running. So a higher % of these types of players for me and a lower % of more unpredictable signings for me. We could look at good League 1 players too IMO, such as Tom Bradshaw who I definitely think could step up a division. 

Surely if you buy players for the Championship you get a Championship side? Burnley are flying because they kept the majority of their squad together and then added quality to it. I think we have enough players either at the club or on loan to have enough experience. We just need to get a properly balanced squad with players bought to fit the system the manager wants to play. Hopefully we can revive Kalinic deal then we need a RB some muscle in CM and a goalscorer. Then it'll be a case of replacing who goes. Is there a squad limit? 

• Like 1

if we're keeping Gestede then we should invest in wingers to play to his strength at least. new striker, new RB, CM that can provide defensive support, replacements for the gap left by the ones that will leave/be released. can't say I'll be expecting much from next season considering we'll need to overhaul the majority of the squad, kind of like we did this season.

Lower leagues are littered with talent we should be pursuing. Rico Henry should be a priority and a sign of intent of the clubs ambitions Alongside Bradshaw from Walsall.  Hause & Iorfa from Wolves are worth looking at. You have Jordan cousins from Charlton & Billing at Huddersfield, Roofe from Oxford All young & up and coming attainable players who could add to our squad immensely.  If Garde stays a gem or two from the French league. We have our own academy players plus whomever we decide to retain from this years abysmal squad we could/should have a very strong squad that could grow together. 

The future could be bright or dark only time will tell. 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

;)

stream_img.jpg

• Like 4

Mark Bunn

Gestede

Lowton

Bennett

Bowery

Westwood

Excuse me if I don't sound excited at the prospect of signing middling lower league players.
Can anybody tell me the last time we signed a player from the lower leagues that was a success? Delph?

I think people are kidding themselves if they expect us to sign average journeymen like Alan Judge and mount a promotion push.

I'm not so much concerned about where they have played previously.  It's much more important the type of player they are, the role they fit, and the success they have had.  I don't just mean position, I mean the way they play that position.  

I think too often in the past we have looked for good players we could get at a bargain (a business model seeing players as financial assets that can appreciate).  Instead we need a football model of looking for players who can be a solid defensive fullback with good positioning and speed but who can also bomb forward and lay in a nice cross... (or not depending on the tactics the manager wants to employ).  The football people list 5-15 who can do that, then let the business people see the top one on the list that can be done within reasonable business considerations.  (actually, Hollis sort of said this, which is why I liked his most recent statement)

In my thinking, we really can't pick players until we have a manager and a system in mind.  I hope that's what Garde, Bernstein, and Little are doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Mark Bunn

Gestede

Lowton

Bennett

Bowery

Westwood

Excuse me if I don't sound excited at the prospect of signing middling lower league players.
Can anybody tell me the last time we signed a player from the lower leagues that was a success? Delph?

I think people are kidding themselves if they expect us to sign average journeymen like Alan Judge and mount a promotion push.

We have done poorly in the past no denying but where else are we going to get players from given the fact we will gone down as one of the worst Prem teams ever ? 

As I said we have done it in a bad for sure. But for every shit lower league we have signed other clubs have unearthed gems. 

For every Bennett there is a Cresswell and so on. 

Edited by thabucks
Got my facts wrong

3 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Surely if you buy players for the Championship you get a Championship side? Burnley are flying because they kept the majority of their squad together and then added quality to it. I think we have enough players either at the club or on loan to have enough experience. We just need to get a properly balanced squad with players bought to fit the system the manager wants to play. Hopefully we can revive Kalinic deal then we need a RB some muscle in CM and a goalscorer. Then it'll be a case of replacing who goes. Is there a squad limit? 

Added quality yes - from the Championship.... Andre Gray their main signing was a Championship player. 

Anyone take Odemwingie?

Bit old now but he was scoring quite regularly for Stoke and also West Brom in the prem not so long ago. On loan at Bristol City for rest of the season.

Stoke have already said he's going on a free transfer end of season so would imagine being local he'll be on our radar.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone take Odemwingie?

Bit old now but he was scoring quite regularly for Stoke and also West Brom in the prem not so long ago. On loan at Bristol City for rest of the season.

Stoke have already said he's going on a free transfer end of season so would imagine being local he'll be on our radar.

Would think he would want too much wages per week! he's on about £35k a week at Stoke and won't he be about 35 in summer? and be after his last big pay packet!

Pity we didn't sign Odemwingie when he was on trial with us under O'Leary around 2002! could have signed him for just 200k when he was 22 :)

Rather we went for a promising younger striker!

Edited by Villan4Life

9 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Would think he would want too much wages per week! he's on about £35k a week at Stoke and won't he be about 35 in summer? and be after his last big pay packet!

Pity we didn't sign Odemwingie when he was on trial with us under O'Leary around 2002! could have signed him for just 200k when he was 22 :)

Rather we went for a promising younger striker!

Fair enough....Dwight Gayle it is! ;)

• Like 1