Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

Doesn't really have the position to suit the system. If he works hard to adapt, I've no doubts Smith would give him a go.

A loan until Jan to Luton or something would be great.

• Like 1

Yeah needs to be loaned out, our promotion has changed things for him and probably Green aswell. Just the odd Carling cup game isn't enough for him at this stage of his career now.

He did well at Carlisle so will be plenty of interest.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what the upcoming season has for this lad. A good loan spell last season but fewer games for the first team this year could limit his options. Bench and impact sub or loan out to the Championship for a season? 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I wonder what the upcoming season has for this lad. A good loan spell last season but fewer games for the first team this year could limit his options. Bench and impact sub or loan out to the Championship for a season? 

I would loan him out to a championship team for the season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Really depends on the rest of our activities in this window, ideally I think a loan move back to championship would be great for him but we also need to make sure we don't leave our squad too thin for season ahead

A championship club has to want O'Hare first, and even if they do it's no good to us unless he gets regular football otherwise we'd be better off sending him to a league one side. We're in the EFL cup next season as well, so some of our youngsters will get a chance to play competitve football against lower league opposition via that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a great Minnesota diary entry from Callum O'Hare today on the OS, wise beyond his years. Sounds like a really good lad with a great attitude. Fingers crossed for the next few years of his promising Villa journey. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2019 at 08:13, MaVilla said:

He has 12 months left on his contract.

Need to decide really if he needs to be offered an extension.

He 100% deserves an extension. There's no doubt in my mind. He's one of the most promising players in our U23 set-up, as shown by his decent loan last year at Gillingham (was it?)

A loan to a Championship side would be great. I honestly wouldn't mind him staying in the squad as a rotation player, because his workrate would be valuable in any league, but it would be detrimental to his development so a loan move where he's playing every week would be ideal.

EDIT: Yes, it was Carlisle *

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

He 100% deserves an extension. There's no doubt in my mind. He's one of the most promising players in our U23 set-up, as shown by his decent loan last year at Gillingham (was it?)

A loan to a Championship side would be great. I honestly wouldn't mind him staying in the squad as a rotation player, because his workrate would be valuable in any league, but it would be detrimental to his development so a loan move where he's playing every week would be ideal.

He was on loan at Carlisle, from what I saw of his highlights there he looks very promising, we should continue to invest in him and see what we happens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Steve Bruce/Xia short termism era really did hold this kid back a few years!

Should have been out on loan 18 months before he did to keep him progressing!

• Like 1

I honestly feel he would be a great option to have on the bench now if Grealish tires in games.

Sometimes you’ve got to start having faith and confidence in your own young players when he’s already been sent out on a successful loan period.

• Like 1

Not for me, and I rate the kid. Get him out on loan as soon as possible.

That's what Bruce did, kept him around in the very unlikely scenario that he would need to be used. It was a wrong, selfish decision at the time and it still irks me. It benefits nobody other than protecting the manager against the worst, for the good of the club and the player get them out on bloody loan in pre season.

A game every two months, 20 minutes here and there is not enough.

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

That's what Bruce did, kept him around in the very unlikely scenario that he would need to be used. It was a wrong, selfish decision at the time and it still irks me. It benefits nobody other than protecting the manager against the worst, for the good of the club and the player get them out on bloody loan in pre season.

I tend to agree, but we’re not exactly falling over ourselves with midfielders. It depends how Smith and co see him and of course who else comes in. 

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I agree that he should go out on loan again - sounds like he did okay in League 2, but seemed to have nowhere near the impact Grealish did at County - and Grealish still took a few years to break though properly after that. 

Devil’s advocate, but Pochettino is against loaning out his more promising youngsters (probably why he had no problem sending out Onomah 😜) - Guardian article here. Essentially he says it’s better for their development to train and be around better players.

It’s definitely an interesting antidote to the “play as much football as you can, wherever you end up playing” attitude that is routinely accepted at the moment.

Edited by Cizzler

Â