The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

3 minutes ago, Barney_avfc said:

Telegraph story is a load of BS if you ask me. Is Mark Bunn a long serving player is he? Why would Bunn have any beef with Garde? He gave him a run in the side ffs. Sam Wallace is a pal of Sherwood too. 

Agreed. I think it is yet another bullshit article.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

There was no spark when lambert and sherwood arrived either.

we don't get the new manager spark because the football club is toxic. It's fundamentally **** from top to bottom.

I think after 3 or 4 games  Sherwood got a response from the players and had us playing some of the best attacking football since MON which isn't as impressive as it sounds, without doing a great deal to be honest just choosing the right formation and team.

• Like 1

Managerial bounce? I have always felt that this was a bit of a myth. Sure, some teams gain by changing their manager, but some don't. 

"...only 47 per cent of managers that have been appointed during the season going on to improve upon the position that they inherited.

Indeed, the 86 teams to replace their managers during the season throughout Premier League history have only enjoyed an average positional improvement of just one single place in the league table."

https://blog.betway.com/football/premier-league/time-for-the-p45-the-remarkable-numbers-behind-the-premier-league-sack-race/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Govember

Might be right, might be wrong. I know I have seen similar stats elsewhere, and also similar stats in other leagues. 47 per cent is basically a coin toss. Some managerial changes work out, some just don't. Luck of the draw, I guess. Sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it doesn't.

A club might have a quality squad that's just bereft of confidence. Then a strong leader could be able to inspire and put on the right track - or they might have a team where the senior players have had the bit between their teeth for several seasons (and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience) - in which case, you need a acknowledged world-class manager (or a total squad clearout) in order to turn it around.

I don't think Garde is world class. But I do hope he'll be able to set the bit to its proper position.

• Like 1

That article is pathetic and reads like something from the metro.  Remi is well and truly being dragged through the mud by Lerner and his puppets.  A large amount of the players attitudes stink and we need a clear out, Remi knows this and is right to treat them like shit if that's true because imo the performances and effort from some players has been an insult to the people who have payed to watch them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TB said:

Managerial bounce? I have always felt that this was a bit of a myth. Sure, some teams gain by changing their manager, but some don't. 

"...only 47 per cent of managers that have been appointed during the season going on to improve upon the position that they inherited.

Indeed, the 86 teams to replace their managers during the season throughout Premier League history have only enjoyed an average positional improvement of just one single place in the league table."

https://blog.betway.com/football/premier-league/time-for-the-p45-the-remarkable-numbers-behind-the-premier-league-sack-race/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Govember

Might be right, might be wrong. I know I have seen similar stats elsewhere, and also similar stats in other leagues. 47 per cent is basically a coin toss. Some managerial changes work out, some just don't. Luck of the draw, I guess. Sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it doesn't.

A club might have a quality squad that's just bereft of confidence. Then a strong leader could be able to inspire and put on the right track - or they might have a team where the senior players have had the bit between their teeth for several seasons (and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience) - in which case, you need a acknowledged world-class manager (or a total squad clearout) in order to turn it around.

I don't think Garde is world class. But I do hope he'll be able to set the bit to its proper position.

Across all football, it is a myth. It mostly represents 'regression to the mean', ie. clubs sack managers when the team appears to be underperforming its' real level, so all things being equal the team will return to the level expected, and the arrival of a new manager may be coincidental. 

But obviously that doesn't mean that certain individuals can't have a real impact (eg Pulis, to pick an obvious example). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uppernorthstander said:

Your right I don't think he has, normally a new manger will give a team an up lift in results or performances but from day 1 of his appointment it has been completely flat! Time to go... I don't want him here now yet alone next season. Sorry Remi you seem like a damn nice guy but, bye!

For me it says more about the dressing room than Garde. we've had too much of this shit for too long, lambert tried to sort it and still some of the bomb squad are around drawing a wage. the time to sort it was backing lambert with more cash at the end of the first season and the following Jan. that way we would have had genuine options instead of these dicks and they would have been more motivated to **** off.

11 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

If he doesn't want to stay, then good riddance. His attitude of publicly announcing things like he doesn't have the quality in the team and he does not have the team motivated. How is that going to help? It may be true but it's also a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

We need a Graham Taylor mk1

He could always apply Lambert's 'false narrative' tactic of re enforcing rubbish- 'great group of lads', 'they give it their all' or ' couldn't ask for anymore'. I for one find it reassuring that the one responsible ultimately for the team sees what is blatantly in front of his eyes. To my knowledge remi has not been overly critical of individuals, hasn't publically blamed individual errors or said anything that isn't true. Its painful to hear but it's the truth. As a club we have for too long accepted (publically at least) mediocrity from players capable and paid to deliver better. 

If there's any truth in the new bomb squad chat, I'd be happy to see the lot of them dropped.  Play the players who are still with the manager + any youngsters who look like they have the talent and balls to fight.  We're not going to stay up so at least see a team that wants to play for club and for Remi.  Chelsea have shown the difference when a team are playing for a manager vs when he's lost the dressing room. They may be 'better' players, but if they're not going to follow the manager there's no point in having them on the pitch.

I wonder is Remi's reluctance to go with youth to supposedly protect them is a good sign that he feels he'll be here for next season? His comments about getting a pre-season with Grealish also suggest he's up for it.

14 hours ago, Pilchard said:

Well they certainly are playing like a team where the manager has lost the dressing room...

He never had the dressing room, the squad was split into two under Sherwood. The majority of the players were behind Sherwood,Wilkins and Robson however many of the new signings particularly the overseas players were not happy under Sherwood, this all comes back round to the recruitment and what actually went on. Sherwood who was actually popular amongst some players was then sacked and Garde without doubt was appointed to try and protect the investment made in the summer and to try and make the new signings happier and to get better performances from them. This has happened to an extent however the problem we have is that the pro Sherwood camp as it was are now all unhappy under Garde whilst the newer signings are more behind Garde. What essentially has happened is nothing at all, we still have a split camp. The camps contain the same people it's just changed around. I imagine now the players behind Garde are worried if he will still be here so it;s impacting them and I think the pro Sherwood camp gave up months ago to be honest.

It's an unbelievable mess and I have no idea how you fix it unless there is another massive turnover of players in the summer. If that happens then we must learn from our mistakes and actually let the manager decide on the signings

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I wonder is Remi's reluctance to go with youth to supposedly protect them is a good sign that he feels he'll be here for next season? His comments about getting a pre-season with Grealish also suggest he's up for it.

Yeah - I saw that comment about a pre-season with Jack - gives me optimism that he's possibly thinking about the next stage. Maybe Hollis and King's potential culling of Fox, Reilly and Almdstadt is what he needs to stay put and build us a proper team.

13 hours ago, Jareth said:

Simple solution to that telegraph story that I am sure we can all get behind - sack the senior players. Feckin gobshites the lot of em.

Agreed, a lot of those senior players have done nothing for us over a variety of managers over a number of seasons. So I would be willing to gamble on trying something new with the new guy (Remi), than keep repeating the same mistakes and relying on the same old people who have shown they are not capable of performing over the years.

We periodically get news of a cliq in the squad whenever we try a different (continental) approach. Which leads me to believe Gabby (Maybe Guzan) is at the forefront of this stuff as he is one of the few who has been here over the various years. These players who cause difficulties need to be the ones cleared out first, they should not be dictating to the club how it is run. They are not good enough to wield that kind of power.

Â