The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

On 02/03/2016 at 22:24, Stevo985 said:

I think I might vomit if Nigel Pearson is our next manager.

Is is so important that we have to like the manager! Remi seems a very nice decent person but thats makes no difference at all to me. Saunders wasn't a nice guy but he was a winner.

• Like 1

That telegraph story could have just been rehashed from the Houllier era - with Dunne and Collins replaced by Lescott and Richards, and Gabby the common denominator. You have to wonder were Gabby get the balls to do this - it's not like he can draw on his experience of winning titles to stand up and saying the manager's doing it all wrong. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Sorry guys, it can't be the manager again. The club is F****ing toxic full of people who know F**** all about football, an we try to blame the only person who has the experience. Give it up chaps, until we get proper football people in at board level, we are never gonna be a club with a winning mentality.

Remi and his staff know how to manage a squad of players. Its just most of the players are shite, an it shows every time they step onto that pitch, showing us they can't even manage the basics. There is just no disipline, this has been a fact now for at least 4 years at this club. Mourinho couldn't manage Chelsea this season. the managers fault? No chance, it was the players decision to give up on the manager, there is nothing you can do about that, but it don't make him a shite manager.

But your analysis does actually support the idea that Garde should be sacked, however good he is.

To use the Mourinho comparison, look what happened with exactly the same squad of players when they got Hiddink in. suddenly it all became much better. If the squad won't play for a manager, the manager has to go - it's a harsh fact of managerial life but one that I guess even most top managers accept.

Edited by briny_ear
Sp.

Just now, briny_ear said:

But your analysis does actually support the idea that Garde should be sacked, however good he is.

To use the Mourinho comparison, look what happened with exactly the same squad of players when they got Hiddink in. suddenly it all became much better. If the squad won't play for a manager, the manager has to go - it's a harsh fact of managerial life but one that I guess even most top managers accept.

That's not really a sustainable fix is it though. We're at the mercy of the same group when they decide they don't fancy the next manager. I'd definitely rather clear the slate and have a clear hierarchy of authority. The players need to know that the club that employs them will not tolerate them not doing what their manager asks no matter who it is.

Players having the power to decide if they fancy playing for a manager shows a squad that's utterly rotten IMHO.

• Like 2

Is is so important that we have to like the manager! Remi seems a very nice decent person but thats makes no difference at all to me. Saunders wasn't a nice guy but he was a winner.

I don't care if I don't like the manager. I didn't like Sherwood but I was happy with him here last season.

Person, however, is another level

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The difference being that Chelsea's squad (and the powerful players within it) are good enough to win the league, so keeping them and binning the manager works.  Ours are shite.  Keeping them and binning the manager won't improve us.  Keeping the manager and binning the players might (if he is allowed to bring in the right replacements...big if).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Pearson is not Saunders.

If he was, you could let it slide. So yes, it is important. Pearson is a word removed. Don't want him anywhere near us.

Rémi is our manager anyway, it's a difficult time for him but I want him to have the opportunity to start from scratch.

If some players can't be bothered to play at their best because they think we're relegated already then they should be the first out the door. I don't think it's fair to suggest any other manager would have been able to convince them to start playing, it's a unique scenario. Sherwood had their belief in their own ability at rock bottom, they were cut adrift already and lacked any kind of organisation or preparation or harmony. I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes, or done things I don't agree with, but that's always the case with any manager at the top or bottom.

Many seem to be suggesting he'd be a good manager if the pressure is off in mid-table. Well when we are relegated I think there will almost be a collective sigh of relief, we will be able to start again in the championship with players who would be very good at that level (if we keep them) so I don't know why you would want to get in a loud-mouthed arsehole in that situation? We have the calm, collected, thoughtful manager already, that for me is what we need come August.

• Like 1

Of the players listed as complaining Gabby Agbonlahor, Alan Hutton, Leandro Bacuna, Ciaran Clark, Brad Guzan, Mark Bunn, Joleon Lescott and Micah Richards I would miss none.  I feel they are all as culpable as each other for the disastrous position we find ourselves in.  In the pro RG camp there is Jordan Ayew.  Never mind the others Ayew is one of the few who has actually tried and shown some quality this season.  I would get rid of all 9 of those "senior" players to keep him.  Sod it, I'd get rid of all 9 of those players if he left.  All 9 of them have failed to perform under at least 2 managers and most of them it is more. Sooner or later they will  have to take a look in the mirror to find where the blame should lie (glass backed with silver, not the red top newspaper).  If this is a real revolt and these retched impressions of professional football players are able to exert genuine influence in the direction of the club it really is a case of the lunatics in charge of the asylum.

• Like 3

I am starting to have mixed feelings about Garde. I think he comes across very well in interviews and somewhat enjoy his calm nature.

His playing style seems decient although hard to tell sometimes due to how poor we have been. I also like the fact he is not scared to succumb to some of the so called "big" names by dropping them.

But I'm starting to think maybe the best thing is for him to leave at the end of the season.

My reason is quite a simple oneI, I simply cannot see our board investing heavily enough in the squad to allow Garde an overhall and if there is anything in the news of a split in the dressing room ,then it will only continue into next season with practically the same players.

I do think Garde has the potential to change things at Villa and even get us promoted given the funds to do so but seeing as you can sack a manager with a few mil but cannot  sack practically half the squad and as I say funds will be limited then the only choice is a managerial change in the hope that the mentality in some change and they start trying that little bit harder.

I just watched it. He was actually ushered out by the press officer who lost his cool rather than Guard as he was being pressed on "was he lied to before taking over" 

Reading between the lines ofRemi's answer it defiantly comes across that there were some things he was not aware of.

Oh and no ostrich.

Edited by dounavilla

He'll leave this summer, almost certainly, he'd be a madman not to. I think he will, however, join a rarefied group of managers who left Villa Park and went on to succeed. Usually they leave and the career tumbles down but I'm pretty sure he'll go on to be successful somewhere else.

In respect of the press conference walk out, if that's what actually occurred, I'm not that surprised. Whilst he's always been very measured and professional with the press, he is known to have a temper and had a reputation as an authoritarian, it's not a shock that his professional side might slip under the pressures at the moment.

Incidentally, if when he goes we are stupid enough to hire Pearson, we could at least have a weekly game of 'which person is he going to throttle this week?'. Probably be more entertaining than the football itself. Or embarrassing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He'll leave this summer, almost certainly, he'd be a madman not to. I think he will, however, join a rarefied group of managers who left Villa Park and went on to succeed. Usually they leave and the career tumbles down but I'm pretty sure he'll go on to be successful somewhere else.

In respect of the press conference walk out, if that's what actually occurred, I'm not that surprised. Whilst he's always been very measured and professional with the press, he is known to have a temper and had a reputation as an authoritarian, it's not a shock that his professional side might slip under the pressures at the moment.

I think he'll struggle to get a job. If he leaves in the summer he will go with one of the worst records any Villa manager has ever had. But I guess if he still has a decent reputation in France he could always get a job there.

if Pearson takes over the only positive is he wont take any nonsense, he would probably kick the shit out of some of the players on the pitch which will probably win the fans over straight away

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think he'll struggle to get a job. If he leaves in the summer he will go with one of the worst records any Villa manager has ever had. But I guess if he still has a decent reputation in France he could always get a job there.

depends if the hiring club can understand circumstance or not.

• Like 4

I don't at all.

He'll still have a very good reputation in France, which will have some draw for him across the continent. I wouldn't rule out a job in the Prem either. Not one of the top jobs, but a midtable side I could see taking him on. I think the narrative (correctly in my view) of Villa being such a mess will take away from his actual results, as will his conduct.

He'll do alright, provided we've not burnt him so much he jacks it in entirely.

Edited by Chindie

Â