The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To say Ranieri has done a "great job" is a massive, massive understatement. If they win the league it is one of the greatest managerial achievements in history. All time. Yes, Pearson gave them a major kick up the arse from March last season, but to continue that run under a new manager for a further 28 games after a summer break is nothing short of phenomenal. 

It's too late fro Pearson now. We are long gone. But next summer? I probably would take him yes. Because poor Remi is done for, absolutely no question. He's just waiting for the axe. 

I wish him all the best for the future. I think there's a good manager in there. 

I think you are being disingenuous towards Pearson.....It's essentially his team.

A similar parallel could be drawn against Saunders and Barton......was it Saunders team the won the coveted prize.

just being devils advocate.

I'd say that the current Leicester style is more down to Ranieri (and the form of Mardy and Mahrez) than Pearson. They struck lucky, and all the more power to them. I'm not talking about Villa mirroring Barcelona. I'm talking about taking the first steps towards Villa being an upper table PL team again. You cannot just throw money at it anymore. You need to have a plan, build a squad, have a defined playing style so you don't have to scrap half your squad every season as you bring in a new manager - oh, and you also need a bit of luck :-) 

15 minutes ago, mwj said:

FFS STOP TALKING ABOUT NIGEL PEARSON

He has gotten one club promoted once in 10+ years of management, and he's about as mental as a Vinnie Jones character in a Guy Richie film.

No. Just no.

It's a forum, it's about opinions.....what is it with this unequivocal certainty you have that he would fail.

you have tempted my gills with a Vinnie Jones, type character.....I love them.

many folk are talking about him because it's plausible and that due to the circumstances we are in and Remi leaves, we could appoint him.

I don't think there would be many raised eyebrows.....well yours of course would be one set.....and perhaps a few others who share your disdain for him.

anyway, Remi is still the man for now, so it's just pure speculation.

.....relax.

Ps I would swap our lot for the "Crazy Gang" any day.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think you are being disingenuous towards Pearson.....It's essentially his team.

A similar parallel could be drawn against Saunders and Barton......was it Saunders team the won the coveted prize.

Sorry but Pearson should get no credit at all. Leicester should be in a relegation battle yet they are probable league winners. Ranieri (I actually thought he was a poor manager) should get huge, huge credit for what he's done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TB said:

When at Lyon, keeping them close to the top of the league table despite the board selling their top players, he offered to resign there and then if the board chose to sell a player he saw as a crucial cog in his 1st 11. They backed down. 

I certainly don't think he lacks balls, and if he chooses to walk we might hear an interesting tale. If he's fired, I think he's too honourable to tell any tales. I don't believe any payoff clauses would be a factor.

but he didnt do the same thing when he was promised investment in January here and was took from him

5 hours ago, mwj said:

FFS STOP TALKING ABOUT NIGEL PEARSON

He has gotten one club promoted once in 10+ years of management, and he's about as mental as a Vinnie Jones character in a Guy Richie film.

No. Just no.

He got Leicester promoted twice

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Strangely enough I agree with you both ( makes a change Doug) however I do lean towards TRO as I personally don't feel Pearson is getting enough credit for what's happening over in the East Mids. A lot of people have  acknowledged that he hasn't needed to change much and lest not forget when Ranieri  came to Leicester he was almost labelled untouchable in some quarters and many people were dumbfounded that he'd got the job. I think we all like his affable approach to the game and want Leicester to do it, but I think deep down he knows that he owes a huge amount of gratitude towards Nigel Pearson in my humble opinion.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

but he didnt do the same thing when he was promised investment in January here and was took from him

He hardly had investment took from him, we had a deal for a much needed keeper ruined by the fa and players chose other clubs over us instead. 

9 hours ago, bose said:

Sorry but Pearson should get no credit at all. Leicester should be in a relegation battle yet they are probable league winners. Ranieri (I actually thought he was a poor manager) should get huge, huge credit for what he's done. 

You are being very very harsh on Pearson in my opinion, I see very little between the swashbuckling team that ended last season and the swashbuckling team that have carried over into this season

• Like 1

I wouldn't be 100% sure Pearson built that team single handed, some of the people responsible for the player recruitment for pearson will be the same that found mahrez and kante etc. this summer. It's not 100% true to call it Pearson's team last year, just the same as it isn't 100% true to call it Ranieri's this year.

What you can say is we missed a trick not trying to get Ranieri when we went for Sherwood, I would have been getting him on the phone as I probably said when McLeish left and when Lambert left. He's always been a class act. 

Back on the Garde thing, I really hope the reshuffle with Fox possibly going and some others will mean we get some support around Garde, it's pretty depressing seeing him struggle so badly, he has been treated very very badly, it's a shit situation all round.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Who ever come's in only has to beat Two wins in seventeen  premiership games.

with a squad of players who have totally given up. it's all hypothetical but no manager is getting a rise out of these players. I almost don't care if we lose the next 10 games 3-0, preparation for a long championship season with a reasoned manager is my priority, not getting in a kick them up the arse win a few games by shouting loud type for a few pointless matches.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TB said:

I'd say that the current Leicester style is more down to Ranieri (and the form of Mardy and Mahrez) than Pearson. They struck lucky, and all the more power to them. I'm not talking about Villa mirroring Barcelona. I'm talking about taking the first steps towards Villa being an upper table PL team again. You cannot just throw money at it anymore. You need to have a plan, build a squad, have a defined playing style so you don't have to scrap half your squad every season as you bring in a new manager - oh, and you also need a bit of luck :-) 

mirroring Barcelona was just a throw away line, to highlight the trend for some fans to clamour for European managers.....some we have never heard of and the conditions are much different in those countries.....the standards also differ.

It seems we seem to over value the Unknown.

for all the good Foreign managers, their are plenty of duds, like Pepe mel etc.

We are in a position where all the old fashioned British values in a team are missing.

you can't keep buying desserts to eat.....when you need a roast dinner.

We need to get back to basics.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

mirroring Barcelona was just a throw away line, to highlight the trend for some fans to clamour for European managers.....some we have never heard of and the conditions are much different in those countries.....the standards also differ.

It seems we seem to over value the Unknown.

for all the good Foreign managers, their are plenty of duds, like Pepe mel etc.

We are in a position where all the old fashioned British values in a team are missing.

you can't keep buying desserts to eat.....when you need a roast dinner.

We need to get back to basics.

Ranieiri is and always has been about doing the basics well, being compact and organised in defence and counter attack quickly when you can, otherwise keep hold of the ball when you can't and be patient. It's the Italian ABC of football, it's not flashy and continental it's just about knowing your job in the team, it being well defined, obeying orders, having enough of a decent technique to be able to do that. It's abotu discipline and hard work. These are not uniquely British characteristics.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ranieiri is and always has been about doing the basics well, being compact and organised in defence and counter attack quickly when you can, otherwise keep hold of the ball when you can't and be patient. It's the Italian ABC of football, it's not flashy and continental it's just about knowing your job in the team, it being well defined, obeying orders, having enough of a decent technique to be able to do that. It's abotu discipline and hard work. These are not uniquely British characteristics.

Fair comment, not exclusive to Britain

but you got my point, I think we as supporters harp on about the technical side too much and baulk/ dismiss the points you are making.

Edited by TRO

52 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I wouldn't be 100% sure Pearson built that team single handed, some of the people responsible for the player recruitment for pearson will be the same that found mahrez and kante etc. this summer. It's not 100% true to call it Pearson's team last year, just the same as it isn't 100% true to call it Ranieri's this year.

What you can say is we missed a trick not trying to get Ranieri when we went for Sherwood, I would have been getting him on the phone as I probably said when McLeish left and when Lambert left. He's always been a class act. 

Back on the Garde thing, I really hope the reshuffle with Fox possibly going and some others will mean we get some support around Garde, it's pretty depressing seeing him struggle so badly, he has been treated very very badly, it's a shit situation all round.

You are right.....Steve Walsh is the chief Scout.

but on same parallel Ron Saunders didn't do it all on his own Tony Barton was a massive contribution as was Peter Taylor with Clough.

On a similar basis Randy is not to blame it's the people who work for him.

Presumably all the football Scouts at Leicester reported to Pearson?

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

You are right.....Steve Walsh is the chief Scout.

but on same parallel Ron Saunders didn't do it all on his own Tony Barton was a massive contribution as was Peter Taylor with Clough.

On a similar basis Randy is not to blame it's the people who work for him.

Presumably all the football Scouts at Leicester reported to Pearson?

Yeah it's never a one man band, even in the british game where managers are supposed to be the boss of everything it's never been that way. Taylor and Clough being a prime example, Clough never had success with anyone else. 

I bet it was more Pearson and the scouts working together, as it was with them and Ranieri last summer. You would hope the head coach/manager has last word on signings though, whether there's a soprting director or director of football or whatever or not.

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah it's never a one man band, even in the british game where managers are supposed to be the boss of everything it's never been that way. Taylor and Clough being a prime example, Clough never had success with anyone else. 

I bet it was more Pearson and the scouts working together, as it was with them and Ranieri last summer. You would hope the head coach/manager has last word on signings though, whether there's a soprting director or director of football or whatever or not.

The manager has to have control over his own destiny....otherwise it has little chance of working IMO.

I see the fors and againsts......but I think it has to be that way.

Edited by TRO

Â