Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Well then I think most of the fans will be as well, we won't get results all season long playing like this. I hate to sound critical after such a good start to the season but apart from the first half against Hull we have been pretty bad at creating chances/attacking in general. Defending not a problem, which makes a change.

A 4-5-1 with 4 CMs sounds depressing as hell to me, how are we going to create anything?

I've got to be honest, I don't share this obsession some have with wanting to see two wingers in the side.

We used to have two under O'Neill and that formation had its limitations then even with some excellent wingers. These days playing with two wingers would be even more limited in its success due to the regularity of midfields with more than two central players. I'm also damn certain we don't have wingers of the same quality as Young, Downing and Milner any more and that we don't have the money to buy them.

So I don't think its going to happen and I've no desire to see it happen to be honest especially with the players we have available.

While I agree that the side hasn't been particularly good at creating chances I'm not unhappy with the way we are playing or having a solid base to try and win games with a goal or two.

We will I believe become a better side going forward with the return of Benteke and as the season progresses. Irrespective of if that happens or not I think its pretty safe to say after 2 years under Lambert that we aren't suddenly going to be lining up in a 4-4-2 with wingers.

4-4-2 with 2 wingers against any top team will see you beaten, It would wreck our shape, which is working very well defensively and leave us allowing teams to go straight through the middle at our back line far too easily.

Flat 4-4-2 may have a time and place, against weaker opposition, and then only if you're confident enough that having 2 players int eh middle of the park is going to be enough for you to not be overrun. There's a reason none of the top sides have played it for years.

Yes, it's fallen out of fashion. Lots of things have fallen out of fashion, only to be rescued later. Inside forwards seemed quaint 20 years ago. People love going on about 442, but it's just a formation. If you have the right players for that formation then it can work. Same goes for any other formation.

To be clear, we don't have the players for 442. I just get annoyed sometimes when people seem to be trying to claim that 442 is a uniquely useless formation, because it isn't.

Only nobody has said or suggested it is 'uniquely useless' but the fact is no clubs are using it the PL right now and there is a reason for that.

The traditional flat 4-4-2 was said to have been killed off many a time, most notably by the 3-5-2. But it is by far the hardiest of all the formations, or at least it stuck around longer than any other. For almost 40 years it was the go to formation in this country.

I've no idea if/when it will return any time soon. It'll certainly never be as "flat" as it was. I've a feeling if it does come back into fashion then it will be with two holding centre mids, maybe erring towards a 4-2-4.

I often wonder if a large part of the issue is discipline. Sanchez certainly doesn't seem to have enough of it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, football is simply a different beast to what it was even 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I am slightly concerned that after all the excitement of signing this guy, he is just gonna fade away and never really make an impact. I was expecting him to be our big summer signing and a definite starter but its not turning out like that.

I'm sure it's just because of our good start to the season that he hasn't played and I'm being pessimistic.

If we'd lost a couple then he may have started.

I'd still like to see him start against Arsenal regardless of our good start.

I am slightly concerned that after all the excitement of signing this guy, he is just gonna fade away and never really make an impact. I was expecting him to be our big summer signing and a definite starter but its not turning out like that.

I'm sure it's just because of our good start to the season that he hasn't played and I'm being pessimistic.

Big summer signing?

He turns 29 in February and he was signed from Elche, having spent most of his years at Valenciennes. Not exactly Arturo Vidal we are talking about here is it.

I have faith in him and hope he is a good enforcer, but nothing suggests he will be an automatic starter yet. We have played well and gotten points on the board, that's why he is not playing at the moment. Also, Lambo got the chance to sign Cleverley on loan - who knows if Sanchez would have been signed if he knew that the opportunity existed earlier?

Again he's been here 5 minutes, PATIENCE my friend.

• Like 1

I think everyone was assuming that he was going to be such an obvious step up from what we've had the last couple of season that he'd walk right into the side.   He's shown that he needs a bit more time to come to grips with the Premier League but, more importantly, we've brought in Richardson and Cleverley who seem to have hit the ground running.   With Delph(ino) and Westy(wood) continuing where they left off, Sanchez needs to earn a place or wait for one of the others to lose theirs with a dropoff in form.   It's good that there will be less pressure on him initially and he can have time settle in.   In the foreseeable future, I think we'll see him mostly as a sub or when Lambert is looking for something a little different tactically.

Doesn't really matter if we go on getting decent results with the first-selected squad. I'm very happy for him to prove himself if he can from the bench. I was always concerned that far too much hope was being placed in an unknown quantity who has an awful lot to learn about premier league football so I'm happy with how things are panning out.

He'll be rotated in and out as and when we need him, I imagine. He's also got to get used to the league and there's no reason to chuck him in at the deep end if we don't need to. I imagine that he'll be a starter against Chelsea, to keep Oscar and co. quiet.

He will get better as time goes on. Its glaringly obvious that he isn't up to the pace of the league yet, you can see the game pass him by a bit, but that will come. 3-6mobths he will look like a different player imo once he's settled down.

Bit worrying that his positioning was poor and Westwood had to show him where to be when he came on but since he's settling in I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Shock horror

Player who's been here for a few weeks gets directed by player who's been here for a few years

• Like 1

To be fair, I can't see him starting a game until we lose one. I think, at the minute, Lambert is wanting to stick with a certain formation and doesn't want to tinker too much with a team that's winning games. Obviously, you can see why he doesn't want to change anything if it's getting results, but like I've said before, you pick teams to counter other teams and choose certain players formations to exploit weaknesses. I do want to see him get some games though, as I was hugely excited by Sanchez's arrival and the added steel he'll give us in the middle of the park against the more physical sides.

Took Angel a while to settle in.

Different pace to midfield in the Premiership to other countries, so he needs to get used to that so he doesnt look rash.

Also came late in the summer so might need some time to bed and settle down with his new teammates.

Hopefully he is taking a masterclass off Roy on how to scare the brown stuff out of the opposing midfield

Â