Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Ultimately he will be the base of that diamond, with Delph to the left of him and Westwood to the right behind Cleverley.

Yeah that is exactly how I think we will line up.

Its an awful line up unless we want to contain and try and nick a goal.

Once Benteke is back I want us with two wingers, which means one of Sanchez/Delph/Cleverley/Westwood won't play.

-----DM-----

--CM-CM---

W----------W

-----FW-----

I agree that in no way is a place guaranteed for Sanchez in the starting eleven. Competition will be hard, which is great for us. Edited by AVTuco

Wonder how Sanchez feels about sitting on the bench or is it merely been given time to settle?

PATIENCE.

The bloke is in a new league, new culture and the midfield is playing bloody well atm so no he shouldn't walk right in. I think he'll be a good player for us in time but he looked a little off the pace to me v Hull, did o.k last night.

I love it on here when we have decent players on the bench and yet people get worried and think they're all going to start in handing in transfer requests because they aren't starting games, it's almost as if people don't want us to have a squad and would rather just have youth teamers on the bench.

Seriously don't understand why it's even a topic, Sanchez will be a starter in time but I'm happy to go with the same midfield for Arsenal. He might be needed for the Chelsea game though I reckon.

I've a feeling he was just wondering aloud. Something I myself have wondered often about various players.

It seems clear to me though that he is being eased in, correctly. Whether he claims a spot long term or not is up to those who already have the shirt. Not a single one of them deserves dropping right now, long may that continue.

Amazed and delighted that our midfield has become a strength.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Once Benteke is back I want us with two wingers, which means one of Sanchez/Delph/Cleverley/Westwood won't play.

Then I think you are going to be disappointed.

Well then I think most of the fans will be as well, we won't get results all season long playing like this. I hate to sound critical after such a good start to the season but apart from the first half against Hull we have been pretty bad at creating chances/attacking in general. Defending not a problem, which makes a change.

A 4-5-1 with 4 CMs sounds depressing as hell to me, how are we going to create anything? 

Well then I think most of the fans will be as well, we won't get results all season long playing like this. I hate to sound critical after such a good start to the season but apart from the first half against Hull we have been pretty bad at creating chances/attacking in general. Defending not a problem, which makes a change.

A 4-5-1 with 4 CMs sounds depressing as hell to me, how are we going to create anything? 

I've got to be honest, I don't share this obsession some have with wanting to see two wingers in the side.

We used to have two under O'Neill and that formation had its limitations then even with some excellent wingers. These days playing with two wingers would be even more limited in its success due to the regularity of midfields with more than two central players. I'm also damn certain we don't have wingers of the same quality as Young, Downing and Milner any more and that we don't have the money to buy them.

So I don't think its going to happen and I've no desire to see it happen to be honest especially with the players we have available.

While I agree that the side hasn't been particularly good at creating chances I'm not unhappy with the way we are playing or having a solid base to try and win games with a goal or two.

We will I believe become a better side going forward with the return of Benteke and as the season progresses. Irrespective of if that happens or not I think its pretty safe to say after 2 years under Lambert that we aren't suddenly going to be lining up in a 4-4-2 with wingers.

We created plenty v Hull, plenty of teams in this league with a poorer defence than them.

Yes I'd like more creativity in the team but when things click we can create regardless with the pace and power upfront. With a stronger midfield and the passing improved that helps aswell.

I've got to be honest, I don't share this obsession some have with wanting to see two wingers in the side.

We used to have two under O'Neill and that formation had its limitations then even with some excellent wingers. These days playing with two wingers would be even more limited in its success due to the regularity of midfields with more than two central players. I'm also damn certain we don't have wingers of the same quality as Young, Downing and Milner any more and that we don't have the money to buy them.

So I don't think its going to happen and I've no desire to see it happen to be honest especially with the players we have available.

While I agree that the side hasn't been particularly good at creating chances I'm not unhappy with the way we are playing or having a solid base to try and win games with a goal or two.

We will I believe become a better side going forward with the return of Benteke and as the season progresses. Irrespective of if that happens or not I think its pretty safe to say after 2 years under Lambert that we aren't suddenly going to be lining up in a 4-4-2 with wingers.

4-4-2 with 2 wingers against any top team will see you beaten, It would wreck our shape, which is working very well defensively and leave us allowing teams to go straight through the middle at our back line far too easily.

Flat 4-4-2 may have a time and place, against weaker opposition, and then only if you're confident enough that having 2 players int eh middle of the park is going to be enough for you to not be overrun. There's a reason none of the top sides have played it for years.

• Like 2

4-4-2 with 2 wingers against any top team will see you beaten, It would wreck our shape, which is working very well defensively and leave us allowing teams to go straight through the middle at our back line far too easily.

Flat 4-4-2 may have a time and place, against weaker opposition, and then only if you're confident enough that having 2 players int eh middle of the park is going to be enough for you to not be overrun. There's a reason none of the top sides have played it for years.

Its almost like its not 1995 any more. :)

• Like 1

I don't need to see us line up with two wingers but if we are playing Benteke up front Id like to see him have some sort of supply and I think with playing 4 CMs it's going to be hard/limited and we will be easy to defend against. Time will tell on that but we have some hard games so for now our system is okay but I wouldn't want us to be using it every game.

4-4-2 with wingers I wouldn't want to see but if we are playing 4-5-1 system there is no reason to play all 4 of Cleverley, Sanchez, Delph, Westwood IMO.

He links up o.k with CNZ plus obviously him with Gabby and Weimann either side worked a treat last 10 games of 12/13 with plenty of goals scored. And of course Grealish will potentially come into play sooner rather than later.

That's as much width as you're going to get tbh.

4-4-2 with wingers I wouldn't want to see but if we are playing 4-5-1 system there is no reason to play all 4 of Cleverley, Sanchez, Delph, Westwood IMO.

I think we will use that formation at times this season but I don't think it will be with two wingers, its more likely to be with Gabby and/or Weimann. We only have Grealish and N'Zogbia who are wingers and I'm not even sure N'Zogbia really is a winger, can't see both of them starting in the same side.

I think Grealish/Zog are proper attacking wingers, if we want to keep more balance in midfield then use Richardson/Bacuna/Gabby as the wide players as they offer more defensively.

Maybe we will have a new style with the 4 CMs but in the past when we played Delph/KEA/Westwood they rarely got forward at all, we won't find out until we get this hard run out the way.

Wonder how Sanchez feels about sitting on the bench or is it merely been given time to settle?

PATIENCE.

The bloke is in a new league, new culture and the midfield is playing bloody well atm so no he shouldn't walk right in. I think he'll be a good player for us in time but he looked a little off the pace to me v Hull, did o.k last night.

I love it on here when we have decent players on the bench and yet people get worried and think they're all going to start in handing in transfer requests because they aren't starting games, it's almost as if people don't want us to have a squad and would rather just have youth teamers on the bench.

Seriously don't understand why it's even a topic, Sanchez will be a starter in time but I'm happy to go with the same midfield for Arsenal. He might be needed for the Chelsea game though I reckon.

I've a feeling he was just wondering aloud. Something I myself have wondered often about various players.

It seems clear to me though that he is being eased in, correctly. Whether he claims a spot long term or not is up to those who already have the shirt. Not a single one of them deserves dropping right now, long may that continue.

Amazed and delighted that our midfield has become a strength.

Yep I was merely wondering and I wish people wouldn't second guess that as worrying.

I am happy, thanks.

I think we will see Lambert's diamond with 4 central midfielders and 2 strikers a number of times but I don't think we will be abandoning the 4-3-3, playing a central striker and two wide forwards, either. In fact I think we might see both in the same game at times.

Lambert has tried both formations a number of times but this is the first time he has enough quality in the squad to properly deploy both options.

• Like 1

Yes, it's fallen out of fashion. Lots of things have fallen out of fashion, only to be rescued later. Inside forwards seemed quaint 20 years ago. People love going on about 442, but it's just a formation. If you have the right players for that formation then it can work. Same goes for any other formation. 

To be clear, we don't have the players for 442. I just get annoyed sometimes when people seem to be trying to claim that 442 is a uniquely useless formation, because it isn't. 

• Like 1

I think we will see Lambert's diamond with 4 central midfielders and 2 strikers a number of times but I don't think we will be abandoning the 4-3-3, playing a central striker and two wide forwards, either. In fact I think we might see both in the same game at times.

Lambert has tried both formations a number of times but this is the first time he has enough quality in the squad to properly deploy both options.

Totally agree.

Yes, it's fallen out of fashion. Lots of things have fallen out of fashion, only to be rescued later. Inside forwards seemed quaint 20 years ago. People love going on about 442, but it's just a formation. If you have the right players for that formation then it can work. Same goes for any other formation.

To be clear, we don't have the players for 442. I just get annoyed sometimes when people seem to be trying to claim that 442 is a uniquely useless formation, because it isn't.

Only nobody has said or suggested it is 'uniquely useless' but the fact is no clubs are using it the PL right now and there is a reason for that.

Â