Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Posted (edited)

I feel like a lot of world cuisines are way overrated -- and many, way underrated. Mexican and Central American food in general, and I might add Colombian cuisine, for example, are all terribly overrated in my opinion. They're a lot less balanced and creative than so many other cuisines I know, and there's just a lot less refinement in how things are done.

East African food, in my opinion, is way underrated. It's far more complex and subtle than I think it sometimes gets credit for, and it's a lot harder to do correctly. A dish such as beyanetu is incredibly challenging because everything is subtly spiced and herbed in separate little operations, and it's just -- hard. And it tastes amazing. 

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I feel like a lot of world cuisines are way overrated -- and many, way underrated. Mexican and Central American food in general, and I might add Colombian cuisine, for example, are all terribly overrated in my opinion. They're a lot less balanced and creative than so many other cuisines I know, and there's just a lot less refinement in how things are done.

East African food, in my opinion, is way underrated. It's far more complex and subtle than I think it sometimes gets credit for, and it's a lot harder to do correctly. A dish such as beyanetu is incredibly challenging because everything is subtly spiced and herbed in separate little operations, and it's just -- hard. And it tastes amazing. 

Most Mexican food here (and in the US) is about as Chinese as what we get in our Chinese takeaways.

I agree about African food in though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colhint said:

Nisa sweet white wine is the finest thing I've found to clear flies from a windscreen.

This got a belly laugh as I wasn't expecting it where I found it :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Any public place where the gents toilets don’t have urinals.

There's a men's toilet in Krakow airport that's worse than that:

There are two cubicles, each with a toilet and a urinal in them. So there's space for two toilet cubicles and two urinals, but if you just need a piss you can't go if two blokes are shitting.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

On 26/03/2024 at 19:42, Marka Ragnos said:

spacer.png

I'm wondering how many days I'd have to go without food before I'd consider eating that  and as starvation finally kicks in  ,  I reckon I'd eat the plate before the contents on it 

I'm sure its amazing  , but not for me ... i like my meals to be meat coloured 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm wondering how many days I'd have to go without food before I'd consider eating that  and as starvation finally kicks in  ,  I reckon I'd eat the plate before the contents on it 

The food looks like those terrifying India street food videos I’ve seen on youtube.

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I've only had it once at an Ethiopian place in Brum; was actually fantastic.

We have a nice East African restaurant nearby. We really liked the staff, beer and experience.

MR's pic is pretty much what you get.

A vast pancake in the middle of the table with different dishes tipped on it, everyone piles in from all sides. Just use hands if you like? It's fun.

We felt it fell down in a couple of places.

The pancake is fermented. I'm ok with fermented foods generally, but it wasn't like kimchi. It was like slightly vinegary carpet underlay.

It's in Tooting, so it's up against quite a lot of cuisines that offer lots of little dishes on one plate.

The thalis and lamprises are better, for me. Roti, paratha, chapathi, naan and puri breads are wonderful, then there's rice too.

There is fusion Indian/African food, it's not a recent fad. Indians settled Africa and got to grips with the local produce.

We had one of these, ran by the Thanki family, that was a top restaurant. Grandma came in at the weekends and made the specials.

These burned bananas in their skins would come to the table. First timers would look on in horror :D They were fooking amazing.

The building they were in was knocked down and the block redeveloped, sadly. You still see people asking the family to return on FB.

Edited by Xann
West? East!
  • Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 02:41, limpid said:

Most Mexican food here (and in the US) is about as Chinese as what we get in our Chinese takeaways.

I agree about African food in though.

Currently in Santa Fe New Mexico. The food is absolutely incredible. (Look away @mjmooney ) but we had a table-side guacamole a few nights ago and I could have just happily eaten that for my meal.

Main course was stuffed sopapilla (with spiced ground beef) smothered in melted cheese, red and green chile, rice, beans and salad. Delicious! (Admittedly more of a southwestern New Mexico dish than Mexican)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Currently in Santa Fe New Mexico. The food is absolutely incredible. (Look away @mjmooney ) but we had a table-side guacamole a few nights ago and I could have just happily eaten that for my meal.

Main course was stuffed sopapilla (with spiced ground beef) smothered in melted cheese, red and green chile, rice, beans and salad. Delicious! (Admittedly more of a southwestern New Mexico dish than Mexican)

There's really not much better than proper, fresh guacamole. I made a huge amount out of four pretty perfect (by European standards) avocados last weekend and the two of us easily demolished it all (on top of all the tacos and nachos).

That Ethiopian place-mat pancake is funny stuff.

• Like 1

My neighbours have Sky Glass on the shared wall that's plasterboard. Drives me insane. They live in an end terrace and could put it on the opposite wall.

I hate them.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

My neighbours have Sky Glass on the shared wall that's plasterboard. Drives me insane. They live in an end terrace and could put it on the opposite wall.

I hate them.

Only solution

aUt7ICP.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I hate them.

Have you mentioned it to them? 

If they ignore you they are words removed. 

Â