Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Some pop star (no idea) on The One Show, saying "I did a vinyl". 

Surely the crime here is in watching The One  Show  ? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

There was a lovely blue sky, I thought I’ll clean the car and the garden path.

Shower, dressed… now it’s pissing down.

It's just god saying shy away from hard work and take it easy 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

There was a lovely blue sky, I thought I’ll clean the car and the garden path.

Shower, dressed… now it’s pissing down.

A pal of mine was saying the Tamworth FC game was live on TNT Sports 3 at 12;30?

I feel like Keenan! 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I want everything in grams for baking, even the eggs ideally. Cups are for morons 😛

Yes and no

I've bought the little plastic cups and life is easy 

My mother in laws got a fancy one of these, got measures set out for cup, pounds, grams, ounces for different bakery products, it's smart 

7118_1_18059c62-0458-4c68-849a-e6be2ee8aaa7_340x340.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yes and no

I've bought the little plastic cups and life is easy 

My mother in laws got a fancy one of these, got measures set out for cup, pounds, grams, ounces for different bakery products, it's smart 

7118_1_18059c62-0458-4c68-849a-e6be2ee8aaa7_340x340.jpg

This is smarter: 

Screenshot_2024-03-24-09-02-17-66_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

• Like 2

I use a set of cups for those simple little recipes that are just easier with cups. Just something simple like, for instance, porridge. Getting the proportion of oats to milk correct is super fast and super easy using cups. Idiot proof every time. 

The whole point of cups is you can just scoop to the top and you're done. If you've got to faff around only filling up to a specific line, levelling it within the container, putting a bit more in or taking some out, it's kind of pointless, just use the grams and weigh it properly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I use a set of cups for those simple little recipes that are just easier with cups. Just something simple like, for instance, porridge. Getting the proportion of oats to milk correct is super fast and super easy using cups. Idiot proof every time. 

Yeah, that one is fair enough. I use the scoop that comes with Flahavan's oats. It happens to be right for one bowl. But I have mo idea how it relates to 'standardized' cups in American recipes. 

Not that it affects me, I hate cooking, and leave it to the missus. But she curses US 'cup' measurements. 

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The whole point of cups is you can just scoop to the top and you're done. If you've got to faff around only filling up to a specific line, levelling it within the container, putting a bit more in or taking some out, it's kind of pointless, just use the grams and weigh it properly

Yep, that’s where our cups are super easy, all colour coded. A blue cup of ‘x’ and a yellow cup of ‘y’.

As you say, no measuring no adding and subtracting small amounts, just scoop, tap, go. 

I've got some cocktail recipes where I just converted all the measurements to "1 part this to x parts that" so I can make any volume  I wish from 1 glass to 1 gallon. 

Could easily call that cups. Or buckets if you're in the mood for a party. 

It does make sense. It just depends on the size of the cup as to what size of cake you're making or whatever. 

I guess if you're cups are oversized (KW) you may have eg far too much cake mixture to fit into a cake tin.  Or if the cups are too small to little mixture for a decent cake.

Im guessing cups are all if not EXACTLY the same size, at least a broadly similar size which wouldn't matter a great deal. 

Electronic scales, zero with your mixing container on and then add the quantities you need, change from grams to ml oz  lbs with the push of a button. It's make cooking so much easier. 

For cooking meat a thermometer is another major benefit at very little cost. Perfect beef every time and chicken as well, not cooked to a dry wood like material for the fear of salmonella.  

• Like 1

Somehow, in the last few weeks, we have absolutely nailed the recipe and cooking of Yorkshire puddings. Now, self assessment is a wonderful thing, but they are genuinely the best.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Somehow, in the last few weeks, we have absolutely nailed the recipe and cooking of Yorkshire puddings. Now, self assessment is a wonderful thing, but they are genuinely the best.

One for the unpopular opinions thread, but I consider Yorkshire puddings to be the most overrated food items ever. They're inoffensive enough, but just... meh. 

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One for the unpopular opinions thread, but I consider Yorkshire puddings to be the most overrated food items ever. They're inoffensive enough, but just... meh. 

A full roast dinner is greater than the sum of its parts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So has my Aunt Bessie... 

Seriously because of the oven needing to be so hot and the fat being done before (which I also do with the potatoes) I find myself cooking Yorkshires first then setting them aside then reheating them, and I'll usually have at least 2 in the tray fail to rise, I'm not convinced the faff is worth it

Â