Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Anybody still using any imperial measurements is sub human scum and easily the dumbest person in the room by a country mile.

Come on, its just easier to say pint of beer rather than 0.57 litre of Beer

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Come on, its just easier to say pint of beer rather than 0.57 litre of Beer

Steady on there with your extra 0.02 ml of beer. No wonder the pubs are closing down faster than you can say "pork scratchings".

• Haha 2

Recent conversation with American colleagues went something like this:

"I saw a driving video from UK earlier, they were using miles per hour. I thought you guys were metric?" 

"Driving distance and speed is always miles, but if we're talking about height it can be ft or cm. Other things vary from person to person."

"So what about weight, do you use pounds or kg?" 

"most people use stones" 

"Wtf is that?" 

"I've no idea, I don't think anyone else uses it except us." 

• Like 3

Several years ago we were attempting to collaborate with a U.S. based aero engine company. They were using what they described as metric inches. That is to say, they would tell us a measurement and it would be expressed to 4 decimal places of an inch. So for instance they’d tell us something had to be 393.7008 inches. But when we converted that, it was apparent really quickly that was 10000mm. So we were asking for the original source material, and they always claimed their inches were the original design dims. Like bollocks they were.

• Haha 2

I bought some digital scales off Amazon a few weeks ago, I was a bit confused initially at the weights in stones and realised it wasn’t stones and pounds it was stones and the tenths of a stone. What on earth is that about?

So for example 12.5 wasn’t 12 stone 5 pounds, it was 12 and a half stone (12 stone 7 pounds).

Sent it back.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I bought some digital scales off Amazon a few weeks ago, I was a bit confused initially at the weights in stones and realised it wasn’t stones and pounds it was stones and the tenths of a stone. What on earth is that about?

So for example 12.5 wasn’t 12 stone 5 pounds, it was 12 and a half stone (12 stone 7 pounds).

Sent it back.

I grew up using stone and pounds but to this day honestly don't know how many pounds are in a stone. I just use kg now and it makes a lot more sense to me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Recent conversation with American colleagues went something like this:

"I saw a driving video from UK earlier, they were using miles per hour. I thought you guys were metric?" 

"Driving distance and speed is always miles, but if we're talking about height it can be ft or cm. Other things vary from person to person."

"So what about weight, do you use pounds or kg?" 

"most people use stones" 

"Wtf is that?" 

"I've no idea, I don't think anyone else uses it except us." 

I would probably have just sent him this excellent SNL sketch on the topic from a few months back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

I grew up using stone and pounds but to this day honestly don't know how many pounds are in a stone. I just use kg now and it makes a lot more sense to me. 

Yeah, it’s a mess. Even just straight pounds would be better. It seems like in America they measure in pounds and it makes more sense.

14 pounds in a stone.

I typically have to use imperial for a person’s weight to get a sense of things. Kilograms I always have to take a little longer, I typically associate it when I see a maximum weight a lift can hold and it’s usually, I don’t know, 800Kg or 10 persons, or something.

I also run in miles, well I think of them in miles. Mainly because we calculate speed in miles (not that I’m bothered about my speed) and a marathon is in miles (not that I’m running a marathon).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Missed 'X number of football pitches' for size.

And yards for free kicks. The only example of that measurement I'm aware of.  Shouting "Get your yards" at opposing kids having no **** clue what a yard was. 

Oh, other than a yard of ale. 

Edited by sidcow

Forgot to do my MOT, found out when the letter from Transport Administration dropped in. Car is now considered not fit for the road.

Need to pick my parents today. Called up a service-station to get a time for a new MOT sharpish. Obviously got gouged on the price.

The car passed. The Transport Administrations computer-systems are non functional today so they cant verify that. And because of that the technician had to write the MOT report manually.

So the odds of me being stopped by a policeman today will be astronomically low and I dread the conversation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An now my daughter called and told me she accidentally swallowed her lip-piercing and wants advice.

HOW THE HELL WOULD I KNOW???? I was born in the 70s :rant:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Tegis said:

An now my daughter called and told me she accidentally swallowed her lip-piercing and wants advice.

Respond with this too shall pass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Respond with this too shall pass. 

Her plan was to drink a lot of water and then puke in a bucket. I told her to call a doctor.

50 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

14 pounds in a stone.

I typically have to use imperial for a person’s weight to get a sense of things. Kilograms I always have to take a little longer, I typically associate it when I see a maximum weight a lift can hold and it’s usually, I don’t know, 800Kg or 10 persons, or something.

I also run in miles, well I think of them in miles. Mainly because we calculate speed in miles (not that I’m bothered about my speed) and a marathon is in miles (not that I’m running a marathon).

I started running in England so ran and raced in miles but since moving abroad it's always km and mins per km. Feels faster!

Another branch to add to the flowchart. Are you racing? > Is it a marathon? = miles > Is it a park run, 5km or 10km? = km

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Simple. Don't get a lip piercing.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Marathon is 42.2 km give or take for me because I'm not a psychopath.

Actually hate it when you get a treadmill (could stop here) in imperial, now I have to run at 9.3 miles per hour instead of 15 km per hour to run a 20 min 5k.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â