Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, BOF said:

As for the second point about fewer traffic problems on motorways. Maybe I'm inferring incorrectly here that there's some element of added safety to cruise control? If that's not what you're saying then fair enough, I've picked you up wrong and you can stop reading. But if someone was saying that cruise control was in some way safer than not using cruise control then I would disagree with that. Cruise control, even to a tiny degree (and I'd argue it's not a tiny degree at all, but for argument's sake let's say a tiny degree...) requires an element of detachment by the driver from what is going on at their feet. That's kinda the point of cruise control. Leave it to the car. Now if something happens in front of you on the motorway requiring immediate action - as plenty of things in front of you often do on a motorway - then the driver who does not have cruise control on, is more engaged with their driving than the cruise control driver is. Even for a split second if it's to get your feet back into position or they're in position and need to find the pedals and apply them. For me, cruise control is less safe than not using it. After all, it's you doing less driving and having less control. Even in a miniscule way.

Most newer cruise control will auto-brake if the car in front you brakes or slows down. So makes it very hard to crash into the car in front of you. It will then speed up again to your desired speed as the car in front speeds up again. 

So if you set it at 80mph and the car in front stays at 75mph, then your cruse control will also keep you at 75mph and maintain the distance to the car in front. 

Then if that car in front suddenly brakes to 50, then so will your car. As the car in front speeds back up then so will your car, up to maximum of 80 (because that's what you set it at).

Edited by ender4
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

For my part, I use Ocado. They price match brands, so it's not as expensive as perception, but the main reason is it's easy to get refunds, especially for short dated stuff. Go into your receipt on the website, two or three clicks and it's done. Never had them argue the toss once.

I couldn't recommend Ocado enough, but that's basically because I had pretty much free groceries several times the last time I lived In the UK.

37 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Most newer cruise control will auto-brake if the car in front you brakes or slows down. So makes it very hard to crash into the car in front of you. It will then speed up again to your desired speed as the car in front speeds up again. 

So if you set it at 80mph and the car in front stays at 75mph, then your cruse control will also keep you at 75mph and maintain the distance to the car in front. 

Then if that car in front suddenly brakes to 50, then so will your car. As the car in front speeds back up then so will your car, up to maximum of 80 (because that's what you set it at).

The wife'#s car has this, I find it very annoying.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yep, adaptive cruise control. 

Some cars use a forward facing camera and some use radar. 

You can usually set the distance to the car in front you want it to apply to. Not sure it goes down to the Audi driver’s preferred 1cm or not. 

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You'd rather crash into the car in front of you? 😛

**** yeah :)

• Haha 1

EVRI parcel delivery (delivery used in its loosest terms).

Why people use these clowns I do not know.

Parcel expected today, then I get an email saying it will be delivered between 1.00pm and 2.00pm.

At 1.58pm I get an email saying my parcel cannot be delivered today.

Considering there are about four working hours of the day left, how about a **** explanation as to why "delivered by 2pm" has suddenly turned into "not delivered at all".

Useless **** minge-dribbles.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

EVRI parcel delivery (delivery used in its loosest terms).

Why people use these clowns I do not know.

Second worst (after Yodl), in my experience. 

For us locally Evri is a very friendly and pleasant chap who always delivers on time. I think he’s self employed but does an excellent job. 

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

For us locally Evri is a very friendly and pleasant chap who always delivers on time. I think he’s self employed but does an excellent job. 

At least this time they didn't blatantly lie and say "we attempted to deliver your parcel at 6.27pm" when I was actually standing outside the door at that time.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

At least this time they didn't blatantly lie and say "we attempted to deliver your parcel at 6.27pm" when I was actually standing outside the door at that time.

or the proof of Amazon delivery picture with your parcel sitting at some random house door that is not yours 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

I couldn't recommend Ocado enough, but that's basically because I had pretty much free groceries several times the last time I lived In the UK.

on the subject of Ocado  ...

I'm running a project next week for Vegan burgers ( yeah I know , but just smile and take the money) 

the order I placed for delivery today of 96 packets of vegan burgers has come up short , so they are substituting around half of it !!    

Bit of a huge problem , as i can't use the substitute product  so I'm online trying to find some more of these particular products when I get a phone call from Ocado  .. basically saying Sorry we let you down , we've sourced some more to fulfil your order added them to your online shopping cart for delivery at 09:30 tomorrow all you need to do is logon and click the button if you still want them 

so ..take a bow Ocado 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

or the proof of Amazon delivery picture with your parcel sitting at some random house door that is not yours 

We get so many of these on the local fb group.

I do laugh at the ones where people are kicking off because their takeaway has been delivered to someone else. Imagine opening the door and some bloke hands you a curry or a chinese. 

“thanks mate”

It’s my lucky day. Free take-away roulette.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I got one of those when it actually arrived...it wasn't my house.

Best one I had was during the first lockdown, when I was doing the rounds of all the delivery options. Asda were due at 10pm. At 1030pm it was marked as delivered. I thought maybe the driver was outside unloading, but no. Nowhere to be seen. Tried to call to find out what was going on, but the helpline was closed. Multiple calls to their outsourced help centre over the next 36 hours where they insisted it had been delivered. 2 days later I leave the flat for the first time to find it had been left on my doorstep. Groceries. For 2 days. Delivery driver hadn't even knocked. Multiple long calls back and forth to their contact centre resulted in them doubling down to say it had been delivered and they wouldn't talk to me any more. I got in touch via Twitter, which is run from the UK head office. 10 mins later I had a full refund and apology.

Absolute wankspanners.

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

Best one I had was during the first lockdown, when I was doing the rounds of all the delivery options. Asda were due at 10pm. At 1030pm it was marked as delivered. I thought maybe the driver was outside unloading, but no. Nowhere to be seen. Tried to call to find out what was going on, but the helpline was closed. Multiple calls to their outsourced help centre over the next 36 hours where they insisted it had been delivered. 2 days later I leave the flat for the first time to find it had been left on my doorstep. Groceries. For 2 days. Delivery driver hadn't even knocked. Multiple long calls back and forth to their contact centre resulted in them doubling down to say it had been delivered and they wouldn't talk to me any more. I got in touch via Twitter, which is run from the UK head office. 10 mins later I had a full refund and apology.

Absolute wankspanners.

I think I would have opened the door...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

Absolute wankspanners.

An ex-neighbour told me of a hack he realised early on in the pandemic. The supermarket delivery drivers wouldn’t take stuff back, but would refund it if you changed your mind.

So he was ordering bottles of gin and vodka then when it arrived he’d say to the driver he changed his mind and didn’t want it. 
They’d say they’ll do the refund but aren’t allowed to take it back now he’s touched it so he can just dispose of it.

Quite a cheeky move, but he was a prick so…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I think I would have opened the door...

I did. I reckon they delivered it after I'd gone to bed. Didn't hear a thing.

Â