Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Same. 

I don't class myself as a luddite, but i've only just discovered cruise control on my car. 

My car has cruise control. I've never used. Frankly, I'm scared of it. 

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

“I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I can’t do that, Dave.”

Bloody Hal.

• Like 1

GF getting a new oven delivered and fitted today; ordered weeks ago, but today was the first day she could fit it in.

Turns out they can't fit it, because the fuse box doesn't have an RCD, so they wouldn't be able to sign it off.

An RCD makes things safer, so it would be an improvement.

So this is a thing that pisses me off that shouldn't.

And no, I don't really know what an RCD is. Something fuse something.

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Got offered corporate tickets for England vs Denmark today 

It's my lads 2nd birthday 

Already turned down normal tickets but a corporate ticket and day out is killing me 

Take him. Nothing can go wrong.

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

GF getting a new oven delivered and fitted today; ordered weeks ago, but today was the first day she could fit it in.

Turns out they can't fit it, because the fuse box doesn't have an RCD, so they wouldn't be able to sign it off.

An RCD makes things safer, so it would be an improvement.

So this is a thing that pisses me off that shouldn't.

And no, I don't really know what an RCD is. Something fuse something.

How old is the fuse board? If it doesn't have RCDs (Residual Current Devices) on the fuse board, it may mean.... new fuse board. In layman's terms, its a circuit breaker and they look like this...

40A 30mA Type A RCD Double Pole RCCB Trip Switch for DIN Rail 2 Module - AC and DC Protection

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

And yes I know I can order online but I don't trust them on picking edible fruit and veg

Thats the bit they generally don't move about :D 

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Supermarkets when they move all of the aisles around just when you have got used to the latest configuration. And yes I know I can order online but I don't trust them on picking edible fruit and veg.

I find the refrigerated stuff the worst when ordering online. They often try and palm off food with only 1-2 days left on the date hoping you won’t notice until after the driver has gone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Supermarkets when they move all of the aisles around just when you have got used to the latest configuration. And yes I know I can order online but I don't trust them on picking edible fruit and veg.

It's deliberate, so that you won't do your usual focused route round, but will have more opportunities to see things you might 'impulse buy'. 

4 hours ago, bickster said:

How old is the fuse board? If it doesn't have RCDs (Residual Current Devices) on the fuse board, it may mean.... new fuse board. In layman's terms, its a circuit breaker and they look like this...

40A 30mA Type A RCD Double Pole RCCB Trip Switch for DIN Rail 2 Module - AC and DC Protection

It doesn't have those unfortunately. Old style melty fuses.

9 minutes ago, Anthony said:

It doesn't have those unfortunately. Old style melty fuses.

Definitely time for an upgrade. 

• Like 2

On 09/04/2024 at 17:08, chrisp65 said:

I have a version in my car. I now have voice recognition, gesture control, steering wheel buttons all to do something that I could also just reach across and press a button for.

It was a novelty for a week to announce ‘play Baxter Dury’ but I’ve sort of reverted back to just pressing the button now.

Voice recognition in cars is actually one of the only places it’s truly useful

20 hours ago, Genie said:

I find the refrigerated stuff the worst when ordering online. They often try and palm off food with only 1-2 days left on the date hoping you won’t notice until after the driver has gone. 

For my part, I use Ocado. They price match brands, so it's not as expensive as perception, but the main reason is it's easy to get refunds, especially for short dated stuff. Go into your receipt on the website, two or three clicks and it's done. Never had them argue the toss once.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think using cruise control should be part of the learning to drive process nowadays, assuming of course that it’s not.

If folks used cruise control more often we’d have less traffic problems on motorways, it’s an absolute godsend in my opinion, in particular during the 50mph zones etc.

I've a few responses here :) Should cruise control be a part of learning? Not for me, although I've no strong feelings on it either way.  It's a feature, and by no means essential to actually driving a car. Personally, I like to know what gadgets my car has at my disposal, so I'll go and seek it out and experiment. But that doesn't mean it needs to be on a state course to get a licence.

As for the second point about fewer traffic problems on motorways. Maybe I'm inferring incorrectly here that there's some element of added safety to cruise control? If that's not what you're saying then fair enough, I've picked you up wrong and you can stop reading. But if someone was saying that cruise control was in some way safer than not using cruise control then I would disagree with that. Cruise control, even to a tiny degree (and I'd argue it's not a tiny degree at all, but for argument's sake let's say a tiny degree...) requires an element of detachment by the driver from what is going on at their feet. That's kinda the point of cruise control. Leave it to the car. Now if something happens in front of you on the motorway requiring immediate action - as plenty of things in front of you often do on a motorway - then the driver who does not have cruise control on, is more engaged with their driving than the cruise control driver is. Even for a split second if it's to get your feet back into position or they're in position and need to find the pedals and apply them. For me, cruise control is less safe than not using it. After all, it's you doing less driving and having less control. Even in a miniscule way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BOF said:

As for the second point about fewer traffic problems on motorways. Maybe I'm inferring incorrectly here that there's some element of added safety to cruise control? If that's not what you're saying then fair enough, I've picked you up wrong and you can stop reading. But if someone was saying that cruise control was in some way safer than not using cruise control then I would disagree with that. Cruise control, even to a tiny degree (and I'd argue it's not a tiny degree at all, but for argument's sake let's say a tiny degree...) requires an element of detachment by the driver from what is going on at their feet. That's kinda the point of cruise control. Leave it to the car. Now if something happens in front of you on the motorway requiring immediate action - as plenty of things in front of you often do on a motorway - then the driver who does not have cruise control on, is more engaged with their driving than the cruise control driver is. Even for a split second if it's to get your feet back into position or they're in position and need to find the pedals and apply them. For me, cruise control is less safe than not using it. After all, it's you doing less driving and having less control. Even in a miniscule way.

Most of the cars I've had in the last few years have had adaptive cruise control. Ally that with emergency braking and for me, it makes it safer. I've avoided one prang in the past when the car reacted quicker than I would have but then again, that might be because I was slightly detached, as you say. 

• Like 1

Â