Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I'm with @bobzy on this one. I never listen to radio, can't stand any of it. I can choose my own selection of music, thank you very much. And without inane chat. 

As I speak, Mrs M is doing some decorating in the dining room, with Radio 2 on. I'm staying well away, lest I feel the urge to smash the radio. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As I speak, Mrs M is doing some decorating in the dining room, with Radio 2 on. I'm staying well away, lest I feel the urge to smash the radio. 

Will she leave it on when she exits said room?

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm with @bobzy on this one. I never listen to radio, can't stand any of it. I can choose my own selection of music, thank you very much. And without inane chat. 

Similar tale here and it sounds like we will be having some armchair experts telling us why its wrong for the Royal Mail to go on strike.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Much easier on Spotify tbh - just pick a mix list of music and off you go (edit: obviously you don't get the entertaining DJ waffle though).  Will bring in some songs you've never heard, but will be "within" what you like in terms of genres.  The car will just automatically register that my phone is connected and will start playing whatever I last had on Spotify; less faf than picking a radio station or changing because the current song is bad or whatever.

Similarly, if you listen to podcasts, you know what you like so can just pop one on and off you go.

The radio just has so much waffle/adverts/crap music that it isn't worth my time at all.  It's almost like "unlimited texts" in a phone package - it exists, but it's just outdated and ignored :D 

Is this the wrong place to admit that I still text? I know that puts me in a caveman luddite minority.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I like a bit of talking from an entertaining DJ mixed in with my music. 

So you're who they're catering to. There has never been a time than the presenter has been talking that I've thought "this is some really good chat, and a nice break from the music". Horses for courses, I guess. I'd rather drive in silence than listen to the radio.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Is this the wrong place to admit that I still text? I know that puts me in a caveman luddite minority.

Oh no, I still text - texting is normal.  It's just the contracts which have "unlimited texts" stated; I don't think I've seen one recently that just says "300 texts a month" or whatever.  It's always unlimited and stating it as a benefit seems outdated.  It merely exists, everywhere.

Edited by bobzy

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So you're who they're catering to. There has never been a time than the presenter has been talking that I've thought "this is some really good chat, and a nice break from the music". Horses for courses, I guess. I'd rather drive in silence than listen to the radio.

Yes, well me and the other million or 2 they are broadcasting to.

Discarded rubbish, i must be getting old , it's doing my head seeing plastic bottles , takeaway packaging just thrown all over the verges of the road.

I watch with admiration the volunteer litter pickers cleaning a road only to feel frustrated when the rubbish starts building up almost immediately. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Will she leave it on when she exits said room?

Without a shadow of a doubt. 

EDIT: She did. And then she went into the kitchen to get a coffee, switched on Radio 4, and left that on. 

Hanging's too good. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

SPotify's alogos are shite for picking music you might like.

It might seem like an obvious question, but have you found the competitors algorithms any better?

Whamageddon.

I'm being a scrooge as it's just people having fun, but I could not less if you accidently heard Last Christmas and now you're no longer in some imaginary, daft game.

"I got WHAMMED at the shop, only on day 2! 😢 I'm out. Good luck the rest of you xx"

4a4880510541ca00d5db42c5fffbf63c.gif

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, limpid said:

It might seem like an obvious question, but have you found the competitors algorithms any better?

I find their competitors interfaces to be not to my liking and that is a worse issue so I've never paid for the other's services

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Genuinely shocks me that people still listen to the radio with the amount of podcasts/Spotify and the like out there.

Its more background noise for when i'm working. No point having podcasts/audiobooks playing as i'd miss half of it due to phone calls etc. I listen to Spotify in my car and in my own time, but its the radio for work time. 

Problem is I won't pay for Spotify. My subscription bill is eye watering currently. 

Maybe when I get the kids to pay for their own shit (which will be soon) I'll splash out on Spotify to simplify music listening. 

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

There are few things worse in life than radio dj co-host banter. Absolutely soul destroying.

I only listen to NPR.

Other than that, Spotify.

Same here - NPR, and the local classical station is pretty good depending on the time of day, and other than that Villa podcasts.

I have always tried to make my life involve as a little time as possible in the car. I am lucky that I've succeeded to some extent!

7 hours ago, bickster said:

I find their competitors interfaces to be not to my liking and that is a worse issue so I've never paid for the other's services

Not sure on the Algo debate but Tidal's UI is basically a copy of Spotify's. 

(From my experience, Spotify algo is better for finding music I'd like than Tidal. But it also has a bigger sample size)

Edited by PieFacE

Â