Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yeah, I think its the spark plugs/ignition coils again. The cold weather will exacerbate the problem if they are older/weak. I had one plug and coil replaced 3 months ago. I'm 99% sure another has gone. Might just get the other 5 done now and be done with it! 

I'm hoping its that anyway! 

Audi, right?   The symptoms sound exactly like what we used to have when our ignition coils went.   Felt like it was going to die on the way to the mechanic's for the emergency cash extraction procedure.  Never had another car that had an ignition coil go bad, but our Audi had it happen several times in the 4 years we owned it.   And you pretty much have to stop driving it immediately until they're replaced.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Yeah, I think its the spark plugs/ignition coils again. The cold weather will exacerbate the problem if they are older/weak. I had one plug and coil replaced 3 months ago. I'm 99% sure another has gone. Might just get the other 5 done now and be done with it! 

I'm hoping its that anyway! 

Ah, a six cylinder showoff.

Is it an Audi with working indicators too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Audi, right?   The symptoms sound exactly like what we used to have when our ignition coils went.   Felt like it was going to die on the way to the mechanic's for the emergency cash extraction procedure.  Never had another car that had an ignition coil go bad, but our Audi had it happen several times in the 4 years we owned it.   And you pretty much have to stop driving it immediately until they're replaced.

We had a Citroen once, coil pack died and I replaced it for £40 from Euro Car Parts and about 15 minutes of my time.

If only all repairs were that cheap and easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

To be fair, I've had it 5 years and not had many issues with it. Its 16 years old now, so things are going to die/break, unfortunately. 

57 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Ah, a six cylinder showoff.

Is it an Audi with working indicators too?

Working what? 🤔

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm going to loose holiday this year. 

Literally not been able to book enough time off. I'm already carrying over the max but I've so many things to do before Xmas even if I did book it off I'd inevitably end up working anyway. 

Just never get quiet periods anymore. It's non stop 52 weeks a year. 

Thats not your problem though, thats your works problem. I was in the same boat - carried max over and wanted to carry over another week, but boss said no. She made me take it and said they'd cope. I get the odd message from the chap covering my work asking for advice/help but thats fine, takes me a minute to reply and can get on with the rest of my holiday (sitting in my joggers, eating Quality Street!)

Get it booked! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

We had a Citroen once, coil pack died and I replaced it for £40 from Euro Car Parts and about 15 minutes of my time.

If only all repairs were that cheap and easy.

I think I could change the coils, but need it diagnosed first as it could be the plugs, or perhaps something else. Trying a new garage as well as my usual one has closed (chap retired) so that is always a worry as well. Its difficult to find a garage you can trust!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I think I could change the coils, but need it diagnosed first as it could be the plugs, or perhaps something else. Trying a new garage as well as my usual one has closed (chap retired) so that is always a worry as well. Its difficult to find a garage you can trust!

I was super lucky. Car was driving like a bag of nails, we got it home and called the AA. 

Chap takes a look and says it’s coil pack and coincidentally he has one on the van. He put it on so I could see how incredibly easy it was, and 100% confirmed it was the part at fault. He said he could leave it on for something like £120.

Seeing how easy it was I quickly checked the spares place and got the same part for about £37. I said thanks but no thanks and he took it off again. Popped to the shop, stuck it on, felt very pleased with myself.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm going to lose holiday this year. 

Literally not been able to book enough time off. I'm already carrying over the max but I've so many things to do before Xmas even if I did book it off I'd inevitably end up working anyway. 

Sounds like your employer needs to employ more people and/or try to pass work to another person/team. Ultimately, the leave is your contractual right to take so would always make sure you take it. 

Always put your health before a company.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just last week I changed the oil. The rocker valves and the coil.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats not your problem though, thats your works problem. I was in the same boat - carried max over and wanted to carry over another week, but boss said no. She made me take it and said they'd cope. I get the odd message from the chap covering my work asking for advice/help but thats fine, takes me a minute to reply and can get on with the rest of my holiday (sitting in my joggers, eating Quality Street!)

Get it booked! 

proud-of-you-dawsons-creek-meme.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just last week I changed the oil. The rocker valves and the coil.  

Great, can you do mine? If you can fit it inbetween your busy work schedule :P 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I'm going to lose holiday this year. 

Are you invested in this company? Do you get a fair share of the profits?

I'm all for going above and beyond in the quality of work I deliver, and putting the extra hours in if there's an emergency, but I'd hand my notice in before I let them write off a single day of my paid leave.

• Like 3

Someone not being able to do maths properly.

This has caused me to spend the last 90 minutes looking at a screen trying to work out if I'm missing something. Then calling a colleague to ask if I've lost it. Then calling the failed maths user to explain how they're wrong and therefore sort it out. Then being told they can't sort it now so can I do it please. Then going back to the screen and trying to work out if the software we use will let me fix it so the failed maths user 'is right'. Then giving up and sending an email to someone who is paid far more than me and has things far more important to do to see if they know how to do what the failed maths user wants to do.

The issue? About £2. I was genuinely embarrassed to send that email. And all the more so when the answer comes back and with the distinct tone of 'you're taking the piss, right?'.

Friday!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Emi may make you cringe. His antics may be cringeworthy, or cringe-inducing. But he cannot be cringe. Nor can his behaviour. Nothing can. Cringe is neither a noun nor an adjective. It's a verb. Cringe is what you do, in response to something. 

Every time I see this misuse, it makes me... 

… be cringe?

Edited by ender4
  • Haha 1

Â