Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'll agree that it's debatable but it's still an every 15 minute service and it does share links with the NRN (They share platforms at Sunderland). It's also run on mostly old NRN lines

The trains do run on some NRN lines and therefore the rolling stock has to have a TOPS classification (Class 599 - the new trains will be Class 555)

"Several conurbations have their own metro or tram systems, most of which are not part of National Rail. These include the London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, London Tramlink, Blackpool Tramway, Glasgow Subway, Tyne and Wear Metro, Manchester Metrolink, Sheffield Supertram, West Midlands Metro and Nottingham Express Transit. On the other hand, the largely self-contained Merseyrail system is part of the National Rail network, and urban rail networks around Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow and West Yorkshire consist entirely of National Rail services."

(link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rail#:~:text=Several conurbations have their own,not part of National Rail.)

I mean, if Wiki says it...

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

The Newcastle Metro is good. 

Network Rail look after the green line after the split towards Sunderland.

Newcastle_metro_map_(subway)-2803486590.png.7c77336835f65fc832927a8101a3a8ed.png

One of my fondest memories of growing up and seeing my grandparents in Newcastle was dragging my Grandma on the Metro.  Not to go anywhere, just... round the Metro :D

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ferroequinologist IF YOU DON'T MIND!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1227834639/vintage-english-paper-ephemera-railway?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=railway+ephemera&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1

Vintage English paper ephemera, railway ephemera, junk journal, 12 double sided pages, British rail timetables, journaling, scrapbooking

Fill your boots 👍

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

One of my fondest memories of growing up and seeing my grandparents in Newcastle was dragging my Grandma on the Metro.  Not to go anywhere, just... round the Metro :D

After being distinctly underwhelmed by many of the northern English cities, a spell in Newcastle was a proper surprise. Great fun. Really enjoyed it.

That was pre 2008 though.

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

thought it was bollocks but one of those non facts that stays with you, like Bob Holness doing the sax on Baker Street and Van Damme being the 'Predator' 

Van Damme WAS originally the Predator though.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

"Several conurbations have their own metro or tram systems, most of which are not part of National Rail. These include the London Underground, Docklands Light Railway, London Tramlink, Blackpool Tramway, Glasgow Subway, Tyne and Wear Metro, Manchester Metrolink, Sheffield Supertram, West Midlands Metro and Nottingham Express Transit. On the other hand, the largely self-contained Merseyrail system is part of the National Rail network, and urban rail networks around Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow and West Yorkshire consist entirely of National Rail services."

(link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rail#:~:text=Several conurbations have their own,not part of National Rail.)

I mean, if Wiki says it...

That isn't what we're talking about though, we're talking about contained Metro systems, Metro systems are heavy rail not light. Metro systems also have a high frequency of services (12-15 minutes per service isn't high frequency)

Anyway public transport systems in the UK outside of London are generally poor, I think we can all agree on that

Some spunktrumpet revving their car up very loudly outside. Looks like a Ferrari or McLaren (can't tell the difference with the moderns).

I hope your engine blows up pal. 

The thing is, for the cost of The Elizabeth line they could have built comprehensive tram systems in numerous UK Cities which would have benefit the whole of the UK far more.

If they had done that there would have been huge enquiries and questions over the spend yet no one bat's an eyelid at the ridiculous cost of it and only mild complaint about the enormous overspend and delays. 

Whereas HS2 is under ferocious forensic scrutiny from every man and his dog. If it was the same cost for London alone there would be whooping and joy all round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The thing is, for the cost of The Elizabeth line they could have built comprehensive tram systems in numerous UK Cities which would have benefit the whole of the UK far more.

If they had done that there would have been huge enquiries and questions over the spend yet no one bat's an eyelid at the ridiculous cost of it and only mild complaint about the enormous overspend and delays. 

Whereas HS2 is under ferocious forensic scrutiny from every man and his dog. If it was the same cost for London alone there would be whooping and joy all round. 

I've been working on some Transport for London buildings and have learnt a few things;

They consolidated a load of offices under Ken Livingstone into new, plush office spaces (mostly, not all).

A lot of the TfL staff will get final salary pensions 

In some office's, the rent is about £10m+ a year.

The buildings they are in often don't work and contracts mean they can do nothing.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

That isn't what we're talking about though, we're talking about contained Metro systems, Metro systems are heavy rail not light. Metro systems also have a high frequency of services (12-15 minutes per service isn't high frequency)

Anyway public transport systems in the UK outside of London are generally poor, I think we can all agree on that

Probably... but also, I don't know.  The buses and trams here (Nottingham) are really good and I don't need the ability to catch one every 3 minutes or whatever.  Every 10-15 minutes is fine!

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Probably... but also, I don't know.  The buses and trams here (Nottingham) are really good and I don't need the ability to catch one every 3 minutes or whatever.  Every 10-15 minutes is fine!

We've got the benefit of the major bus company being owned by the council rather than some national company paying their shareholders with the profits. 

Not a huge fan of the trams, but the bus network is probably the best outside of London. 

It's almost like privatising infrastructure is a **** stupid idea.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â