Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

30 minutes ago, Chine said:

Yeah , I know they’ve got strikes going on but there is nothing I can do to get them what they want yet I’m the one stuck with a problem 

Who would send time critical stuff using a strike impacted service? It's not a monopoly.

On 16/10/2021 at 10:32, bickster said:

Google "Are collective nouns singular or plural"

You might be dismayed at some of the answers, especially those from American dictionaries / grammar websites. An ancient BBC answer way down the first page of results gave the best answer imo

This again. The thing is, these 'singularists' get tripped up by their own inconsistency. I just saw this comment on a YouTube vid: 

Wishbone Ash was so underrated! They were a GREAT band!! If you've never heard their music before, check out their song TIME WAS off their ARGUS album. 
I wonder where they are today? 

Totally plural (they were/their music), apart from that egregious 'was' in the opening sentence. If that is correct, and Wishbone Ash is a 'singular' band, then the whole thing should read: 

Wishbone Ash was so underrated! It was a GREAT band!! If you've never heard its music before, check out its song TIME WAS off its ARGUS album. 
I wonder where it is today? 

😠

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This again. The thing is, these 'singularists' get tripped up by their own inconsistency. I just saw this comment on a YouTube vid: 

Totally plural (they were/their music), apart from that egregious 'was' in the opening sentence. If that is correct, and Wishbone Ash is a 'singular' band, then the whole thing should read: 

Wishbone Ash was so underrated! It was a GREAT band!! If you've never heard its music before, check out its song TIME WAS off its ARGUS album. 
I wonder where it is today? 

😠

Historically "they" was also used as a singular. Just like "you" was always plural ("thou" was the singular).

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Work man in the house at the moment, he listens to radio x and Jesus, it’s dog shit. Mainstream late 90s and 2000s “indie” absolutely painful to listen to. 

Wow. Sounds great.  I'm off to speak to Alexa. 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Work man in the house at the moment, he listens to radio x and Jesus, it’s dog shit. Mainstream late 90s and 2000s “indie” absolutely painful to listen to. 

Think yourself lucky it's not Heart FM

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Think yourself lucky it's not Heart FM

We had a guy do our Patio a few months ago and what he had on was far worse than Heart. Is there one called Magic? The cheesiest hits from the 70s, 80s and 90s. 

Orrible. 

Heart is bearable, Capital is the worst of the lot.  Absolute ear rape.  My old job played it all the time, this job is better though some clearing in the woods has just turned the TV over to a western rather than stick the football on.  I **** hate westerns.

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Heart is bearable, Capital is the worst of the lot.  Absolute ear rape.  My old job played it all the time, this job is better though some clearing in the woods has just turned the TV over to a western rather than stick the football on.  I **** hate westerns.

I quite like the Kemp breakfast show, I tell a lie, I quite like the mega hard super quiet on it

12 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I used to listen to it, the Jonny Vaughan drivetime show was decent. Music got repetitive though! Same few songs.

• Like 1

I used to like listening to BRMB, when it was a local station. Now, I think most are just broadcast from London.

I always have the radio on at home when i'm working - Absolute 90s is my current choice. Sometimes i'll switch to 80s. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xela said:

I used to like listening to BRMB, when it was a local station. Now, I think most are just broadcast from London.

I always have the radio on at home when i'm working - Absolute 90s is my current choice. Sometimes i'll switch to 80s. 

Tims confessions was excellent, used to listen most nights while playing on my dreamcast.

• Like 1

Â