Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

See above. Firms are already moving to Brum from London. 

2 new bank head offices in the last 2 years, and more to follow. 

Major Banks already have big offices and Hubs all over and outside London. I could name a dozen sites in places like Manchester, Leeds, Halifax, Birmingham, Bristol etc. Doesn't mean top level staff are actually there and not in London and it's these sites which are usually empty as people WFH. Hopefully you're right and it's a boost for the regions but everything I've seen says people will follow the money and it won't be a drain on London, like all things it will be a boost to London and drain on the regions. I could easily get a 40% payrise by having a London based role but HS2 will let me stay in Cheshire. 

The reason the London media is pushing back is the potential impact it will have on the London property market. I have colleagues on my team who are the grade below me but get paid more as they're London based. They can't afford a house in London but suddenly Birmingham and South Cheshire are accessible and they can afford a very healthy budget there. These areas will become (expensive) satellite areas for London in a similar way that places like Reading and Essex already are. 

Edited by Rds1983

If HS2 was genuinely going to benefit the regions and not London it would have been axed.

Just like the eastern branch of HS2 was and HS3 between Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Hull already have been. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The thing about HS2 isn't that it gets people to London 13 minutes earlier. It's that it releases huge amounts of capacity on existing lines to allow far more and new local services and diagrams and also it allows huge growth in freight trains taking millions of car and lorry journeys off the roads. 

Plus as has been said huge investment in Brum city centre, many firms have moved head office functions out of London on the back of it and many more will in future.  Lots of well paid local jobs created that otherwise would stay in London. 

This is probably the main reason why London press keep saying it's controversial. 

You aren't a digger salesman are you? My mate is one and this is part of his patter.

I live in a house where I don't have any feelings towards HS2 where as my wife is one of those lie in front of a digger types. 

10 hours ago, Genie said:

UK government partying and lying about it whilst the country was in lockdown.

Millions detained in Chinese concentration camps for being the wrong race.

14 kids and their teacher murdered in America

A 14 year old boy guilty of murdering a 12 year old girl in Liverpool.

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine causes many thousands of deaths, millions homeless and millions will starve and/or freeze as a result.

All in 1 news bulletin.

The world is a **** mess. An absolute **** mess.

You're in the wrong thread. ☹️

• Like 2

Right you lot. It's not just you lot, it's everyone, but... 

London is not your enemy. 

The arseholes in power, who are making these decisions are your enemy. Politicians use the 'London is your enemy' bullshit to divide and rule. Even Andy Burnham, a person who otherwise has my respect, does it. 

Don't fall for it. Don't fall for the 'London media' bullshit. They serve no one but themselves. They just happen to be need in London. An awful lot of the country needs help, but it isn't by geographical area. Johnson and his 'levelling up' bullshit is simply buying votes. That's it. He knows that London has generally seen through his shit and no longer vote for him, so Londoners are disposed of, as they are no more use to him. 

Over the years London has had too big a slice of the investment pie, but don't blame the London people. Infrastructure investment can help bring general wealth up, but it is no magic bullet to cure poverty, just a part of it. 

When you want to complain about 'London', take a moment to think who the real enemy is. You have been warned and I will be very impolite if you don't. 

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

The arseholes in power, who are making these decisions are your enemy. Politicians use the 'London is your enemy' bullshit to divide and rule. Even Andy Burnham, a person who otherwise has my respect, does it. 

Don't fall for it. Don't fall for the 'London media' bullshit. They serve no one but themselves. They just happen to be need in London. An awful lot of the country needs help, but it isn't by geographical area. Johnson and his 'levelling up' bullshit is simply buying votes. That's it. He knows that London has generally seen through his shit and no longer vote for him, so Londoners are disposed of, as they are no more use to him. 

Over the years London has had too big a slice of the investment pie, but don't blame the London people. Infrastructure investment can help bring general wealth up, but it is no magic bullet to cure poverty, just a part of it. 

When you want to complain about 'London', take a moment to think who the real enemy is. You have been warned and I will be very impolite if you don't. 

Spoken like a true cocker nee ;)

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Sounds like the sort of thing a Londoner might say. 

• Like 1

The privatised rail network is expensive and shit. If they really wanted to improve services? You nationalise it and reinvest profits into the regional networks.

We've got a cost of living crisis and the country's skint after been robbed blind by the Tory filth, but let's see how billions and billions poured into a train line to serve people with bottomless expense accounts makes it any better? Especially when it's handed to a private company to run for its shareholders.

I wouldn't have bothered with the Elizabeth line either, but it does pull the rug from under the eyewateringly expensive non TFL service, the Heathrow Express.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Hons? Mike I am very disappointed. 

You haven't had a real university experience unless you got a Desmond. Some even argue a Richard is more appropriate.

What Rubbish, you haven't had the full University experience until you have a BSc (Ordinary) that you achieved through the means of a computer error.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s not all unrelenting bad news.

London just got its 17th public transport line.

Sorely needed if its to level up with the rest of us.

Overpriced and too infrequent no doubt

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Alternatively it will just be a further talent drain of people working in London but living in the Midlands. If I could stay in my current house (not that far from Crewe) but get London wages I could easily afford an annual pass on HS2 with the payrise it would bring. 

This is the likely reality. I expect the jobs gained to be hairdressers and garden centres in Solihull. Especially with remote working, HS2 will just make eastern Birmingham have about a similar commuting time as the outer stops on the tube like Amersham, so if you only have to go into the office once or twice a week, why not buy a house with a bigger garden in Warwickshire?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is the likely reality. I expect the jobs gained to be hairdressers and garden centres in Solihull. Especially with remote working, HS2 will just make eastern Birmingham have about a similar commuting time as the outer stops on the tube like Amersham, so if you only have to go into the office once or twice a week, why not buy a house with a bigger garden in Warwickshire?

Has London seen a dip in house prices? A lot of people have left New York for example and have decided to WFH in less urban areas.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Has London seen a dip in house prices? A lot of people have left New York for example and have decided to WFH in less urban areas.

Probably now the Russians can't buy them and rent them out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said for a while they need to redefine "young" player of the season.

As good as Foden is, he shouldn't be picking up young player of the year at the same time he's picking up his FOURTH Premier League winner's medal.

It should be some sort of rookie of the year award.

Breakthrough, dont define it by age define it by who went from making 4 sub appearances last year to being an established PL player this year or stepped up in massive way, Ramsey, Gallagher, Elanga maybe kulusevski

Its not even that foden won it  he was up against TAA, Mount, saka, they're all established PL players, TAA has 160 games for liverpool

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It should be some sort of rookie of the year award.

Nail on head. 

I.E. ineligible for the award if played X amount of PL games and above Y years, so for example only players 25 or younger with fewer than a full season’s worth of PL games played before the start of the season qualify.

Edited by El Zen

Â