Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

12 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

Know it alls.

There's a VT member on here, who after anybody starts a new thread or replies to an existing thread will make out like they're an expert on that particular subject. Honestly, give it a rest.

So yeah. Know it alls....and that particular VT member.

Yeah. I know exactly who you mean. I knew it the day he signed up. I’m insightful like that. Pretty much nothing you can teach me about that kind of thing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah sounds like you do something similar to me.

I keep a record of every snippet of personal info.. I’ve got a wall in the house with everyone on it, the data I’ve collected, and then strings connecting to the people they are obviously buddies with so I can work out who’s got a little gang, who’s connected to the mods.

Two or three posters, I’ve got a snip of hair or a used coffee cup. Just little momento, nothing creepy.

i pretended not to notice at the time but can I have my  Charles and Diana coffee mug  back 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i pretended not to notice at the time but can I have my  Charles and Diana coffee mug  back 

I’ll have to give it a bleach clean first.

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Working my notice period.  It's agonising.

Just think of the dough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Sharky works at a bakers, doesn’t he? 

Little bits of poster’s information stay with me and I’m convinced this is one of them. I feel the knead (oh yes) to openly guess/state it to feel a bit of self validation.

Sharky will now come back and confirm he works in landscape gardening and I’ll wonder how the hell I’ve assigned him a baking vocation in my head.

Yes that's right, I actually only (k)needed to do a week's notice but my training at the new job doesn't start til the 21st June so decided to stick around til the 16th to keep earning.  I've got the bank holidays and 3 days away in Slovakia so at least I'm in single figures for actual working days.  It's torturous but I could do with the dosh.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes that's right, I actually only (k)needed to do a week's notice but my training at the new job doesn't start til the 21st June so decided to stick around til the 16th to keep earning.  I've got the bank holidays and 3 days away in Slovakia so at least I'm in single figures for actual working days.  It's torturous but I could do with the dosh.

So you're staying on longer than you knead to in order to make some extra bread?

20 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Ben Foster.

I don't mind him having a hobby. Doing a YouTube. Footballers have loads of spare time and it's no issue...

But this guys short videos keep popping up on my YT and I can't help watching them because he's fascinating. I suppose I should be pissed off at myself.

He's such an absolute gimp. 40 year old man child. Always positive. Always chirpy. So excitable all the time. Like mate, just calm the **** down.

Imagine having to work with this bellend.

And for the people without twitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Well the worst they can do is sue for breach of contract. More likely, if references haven't been sought yet, they could give quite a poor yet factual reference.

It also burns that bridge, so unless it was a hellhole he never wants to go back to under any circumstances...

You are correct. And if they win, they will be compensated for accrued loss. Bearing in mind that they would have to be able to operate in the event of sickness, losses would likely be nil and costs are rarely awarded to employers in such cases. Anyone can self certify for 7 days without evidence. Escalations for extended sick leave always take time to come into effect. The employer can terminate the contract in the event of a material breach for non-attendance, but that's what the employee wants to happen in the first place.

Any company (cf personal) reference must be based on your entire employment, not just the last few days. Otherwise an employer risks a defamation charge (awards would be limited to lost earnings of the injured party so could be heard at Small Claims). This is why most company references nowadays don't say any more than start date, finish date and job title. They can't even disclose the number of absences / sick days as that might constitute sensitive category data. The new employer cannot ask for this anyway as it may prejudice against the applicant on health / ability grounds.

I agree with your second paragraph, it was what my first question was alluding too, but more generally about the OP's sector.

(I'm not a solicitor, obviously. I have just had lunch with my barrister and we were discussing something similar. It's likely that it's not directly analogous and that I haven't remembered it all correctly. You'd be amazed how little employment law is understood by HR departments. Many people still think that they can sign away their statutory rights by signing a contract.)

The six months between my notifying my employers I planned to retire and actually finishing were great. The best bit was the arsehole line manager who tried to put me on a disciplinary for supposedly taking a week's leave without authorisation (entirely his fault). I went to see his boss and said hey, go ahead, give me a formal warning, waste HR's time, see if I care. She agreed he was being a tit and told him so. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's having fun and not hurting anyone, don't see the problem.

It's not a problem, I just think he looks ridiculous 😃

• Like 3

Â