Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

On Topic.   :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. I’ve not been the best Villa fan lately. 

I spotted your joke and gave it a like. It is surprising that On Topic can’t quickly recall the film catalogue of a 20th century Soviet film director :)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. I’ve not been the best Villa fan lately. 

I spotted your joke and gave it a like. It is surprising that On Topic can’t quickly recall the film catalogue of a 20th century Soviet film director :)

I considered suggesting we sign the little known Russian midfielder Andrei Rublev, but thought better of it. 

Couldn't manage to work Solaris in anywhere. 

Edited by mjmooney

On 22/05/2022 at 21:58, Genie said:

It’s possibly all the apps you have installed need to be updated following an update or the operating system (Android).

Out of all those updates,I checked the "contacts" update and if I install this update I can include birthdays in my contacts.That will be very handy to have.I will be able to include the doctors birthday,our car mechanics birthday and Fred,the guy that mows our lawn once a month.Makes me wonder how people got on before they were able to add birthdays to their contacts.

4 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Out of all those updates,I checked the "contacts" update and if I install this update I can include birthdays in my contacts.That will be very handy to have.I will be able to include the doctors birthday,our car mechanics birthday and Fred,the guy that mows our lawn once a month.Makes me wonder how people got on before they were able to add birthdays to their contacts.

Duh. They put them in the calendar app.

Just now, BOF said:

Duh. They put them in the calendar app.

Well on my new P600 smartphone they are on the contacts.Irrespective of where they are.Do you really need to know your doctors,car mechanic,lawnmower guy birthday ?

A word removed I used to work with (I have moved departments and said WR still works at our place) signs emails by using Dr instead of first name/last name as is usual.

The farcical thing is the doctorate is in studying marine or pondlife and has absolutely no relevance or clout to the world of I.T.

Did I also say that the person is a word removed ?

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

A word removed I used to work with (I have moved departments and said WR still works at our place) signs emails by using Dr instead of first name/last name as is usual.

The farcical thing is the doctorate is in studying marine or pondlife and has absolutely no relevance or clout to the world of I.T.

Did I also that person is a word removed ?

I worked with a Dr at the HMRC in Telford and an MBE, they made sure that their signatures in their emails let people know. words removed. 

• Like 1

Just now, mottaloo said:

What about,in old TV shows people of about 80 years of age are called Major,Cournal ?!

• Confused 1

Using military rank in a civilian context - bellend.

Using Dr as a prefix in day to day life, unless you are what would commonly be considered a doctor, i.e. a suitably qualified medical practitioner - bellend.

Listing undergrad qualifications as part of signature in day to day life or as part of an unrelated fields correspondence - bellend (increasingly extends to Masters too).

And so on.

• Like 4

One of the things that used to happen a lot, now less so, is people (usually managers) signing off their emails with the first letter of their name.

G

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

Similar to this, email signatures, or more specifically when people write their **** CV at the bottom of them. Some people at my place display all of their letters, no matter how minor, followed with a load of diatribe that lists what they’re responsible for or good at. 

We don’t care! This isn’t LinkedIn. **** off.

• Like 2

I'd have no problem with someone sticking Dr at the start of their signature tbh, if you've worked for a doctorate, show it off, I bloody would. Asking people to *call* you Dr so and so would qualify you for the word removed of the year championships, but just signing off with it? Fair game in my book.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

One of the things that used to happen a lot, now less so, is people (usually managers) signing off their enable with the first letter of their name.

G

Yep. Quite often the more senior the position, the more brevity on show. It’s almost like a c-suite exec doesn’t need to waste their valuable time on insignificant underlings. 

When I left school I had o level english language, o level art and o level commerce. 

I had to get a degree when one of my main Clients decided they wouldn’t give work to people that weren’t degree educated as a minimum. 

So I got the degree with Hons, and put my fees up 25% for them for the privilege. Same work, by the same person.

As of this week, I got some more letters too, just a sort of trade body thing.

I don’t use either set of letters in my email sig, it all feels a bit poncey. 

I was just on the train from work in one of the 4-seat sections, and sat opposite me was an annoying little chav girl, probably mid-teens who spent the whole 20 minutes filming herself doing gang-signs while she played some rap music for the whole carriage to… enjoy.

I was tempted to get off at an earlier stop, it was that annoying 😂 I couldn’t even concentrate on the podcast I was listening to, so had to blast my own music (in headphones, of course!) instead.

The arrogance of youth!

• Like 3

Â