Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

On 25/01/2019 at 10:44, Xela said:

The term "side hustle" that I keep seeing. Even on the BBC website. Its not a side hustle, its a second job you words removed and is nothing new. People have been supplementing their income for years. 

Up there with "life hacks"

After this discussion I was amused to see that side hustle is one of the answers in the New York Times crossword tomorrow.  The clue is "extra job in the gig economy."

I watched Dragon's Den last night for the first time in ages. Some dark-haired Dragon on it said she didn't want to invest in a business because the two chaps selling it had other businesses too. That's a bit hypocritical, innit? I'm sure she has hundreds of businesses that she butts her oar into.

3 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I watched Dragon's Den last night for the first time in ages. Some dark-haired Dragon on it said she didn't want to invest in a business because the two chaps selling it had other businesses too. That's a bit hypocritical, innit? I'm sure she has hundreds of businesses that she butts her oar into.

They're looking for an easy ride, they want to get shit loads of equity for hardly any investment and want the person they're investing in to work round the clock in order to 'deliver'. If someone has multiple business it means the particular firm they want investment for is just one part of their portfolio, therefore it may receive less attention and there's potentially a lot less on the line should it not work out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I can't believe that programme is still going, the format got tired a long time ago a bit like The Apprentice.

• Like 3

Don't whether this belongs in here, 'Don't Get', or the musicians thread, but... decals on guitars. Can't stand to see - say - a nice Telecaster with anarchy symbols, CND logos, skull and crossbones, etc. plastered on them. I blame Joe Strummer and his ilk (yeah, yeah, Woody Guthrie, I know). 

I don't expect them to be polished and pristine, mind. Road wear is fine - provided it's genuine, and not one of these brand-new, ready-distressed jobs. That's just embarrassing. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Don't whether this belongs in here, 'Don't Get', or the musicians thread, but... decals on guitars. Can't stand to see - say - a nice Telecaster with anarchy symbols, CND logos, skull and crossbones, etc. plastered on them. I blame Joe Strummer and his ilk (yeah, yeah, Woody Guthrie, I know). 

I don't expect them to be polished and pristine, mind. Road wear is fine - provided it's genuine, and not one of these brand-new, ready-distressed jobs. That's just embarrassing. 

don't let it worry you. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have a similar antipathy to cars and vans (it's always vans) that are covered in stickers. Not just "Fat Willy's Surf Shack" and the like but the daft ones of the Nurburgring on a vauxhall nova. Why would you do it? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

fender actually released a joe strummer special edition

041455C-768x1104.jpg

Oh, but I had a really catchy slogan sticker on my teenage guitar 'animal based cancer research is a fraud'.

I used to carry it around without a case.

Who'd have thought it now that back then I used to be a douche!

Moving house so called our internet providers to arrange a switch. Told me that they don’t cover the area and that BT have purchased exclusive rights to provision there (new build estate). Contact BT who quote me several prices far higher than what I’m currently paying. Tell them repeatedly that I don’t need superfast fibre before they decide to let me know that that’s all they’re able to provide in that location.

It’s really **** me off. I want to refuse their services out of principle but if I do that then I get no internet at home. I’m being forced to pay for a service I don’t want from a company I don’t want to use. Housing developers are greedy, greedy words removed. Such practices shouldn’t be legal.

36 minutes ago, JB said:

Moving house so called our internet providers to arrange a switch. Told me that they don’t cover the area and that BT have purchased exclusive rights to provision there (new build estate). Contact BT who quote me several prices far higher than what I’m currently paying. Tell them repeatedly that I don’t need superfast fibre before they decide to let me know that that’s all they’re able to provide in that location.

It’s really **** me off. I want to refuse their services out of principle but if I do that then I get no internet at home. I’m being forced to pay for a service I don’t want from a company I don’t want to use. Housing developers are greedy, greedy words removed. Such practices shouldn’t be legal.

I'm presuming you want Sky TV here, but if you did then surely you can have their broadband, via a dish ? I realise it'll mean lining rupert murdoch's pockets but at least it could provide an alternative choice to BT ?

42 minutes ago, JB said:

BT have purchased exclusive rights to provision there (new build estate).

:snip:

Such practices shouldn’t be legal.

Surely the monopolies commission would be interested in that arrangement.  It's as anti-competition as you can get, and precisely why there must be competition.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JB said:

BT have purchased exclusive rights to provision there

Purchased how and from whom?

Is it maybe that as it's a new build and BT have put in the infrastructure that other companies don't see it as a live address yet and thus don't offer a service?

Â