Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is a 'product un-boxing' exactly what it sounds like?

Never heard of it before. 

It's somebody unboxing a product, usually electronics.

It's usually a review of what you get in the box, what the product looks like and how easy or difficult it is to set up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's somebody unboxing a product, usually electronics.

It's usually a review of what you get in the box, what the product looks like and how easy or difficult it is to set up.

Thanks. 

Can't say it interests me, but live and let live I guess. 

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Thanks. 

Can't say it interests me, but live and let live I guess. 

It's actually usually a douchbag unboxing something a company has sent them in what is effectively a paid for advertising video. Sure there's some good review channels out there, but most of the 'unboxing' videos you get among the most highly subscribed youtubers is nothing more than an advert.

• Like 1

Product unboxing:

"I've ordered this fifty dollar mystery box of wrestling shite, let's see what I've got:

ohh, a Slammer Slim Trevor keyring, last year's Wrestle Tastic Tour Tee-shirt, a bobble head Big Daddy. an A5 wall poster of Coffin Colin.

I've done well there."

But each to there own, eh.

46114012682_b725ff3052_z.jpg

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is a 'product un-boxing' exactly what it sounds like?

Never heard of it before. 

I've watched one where someone ordered a random box off the dark web and opened it without knowing what was inside before.  Now that was quite interesting.  I didn't know it was an actual thing that people can make a living off.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Product unboxing:

"I've ordered this fifty dollar mystery box of wrestling shite, let's see what I've got:

ohh, a Slammer Slim Trevor keyring, last year's Wrestle Tastic Tour Tee-shirt, a bobble head Big Daddy. an A5 wall poster of Coffin Colin.

I've done well there."

But each to there own, eh.

46114012682_b725ff3052_z.jpg

A Product unboxing is usually say, a TV or Record player and some "expert" showing you how to take the product out of the package and turn it on, this usually involves putting the plug in the socket and pressing the power button. You'd have to be incredibly inept to even need it

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of variations. I have a friend (no, really), who does the monthly subscription 'gift' boxes and I have to say, that strikes me as something I will not get in to if I live to be 3,000.

I think i'm probably hung up on paying out good money for a mystery 'gift'.

Saying that, they mostly appear to be aimed at people that like wrestling and batman. So I think maybe I'm not the absolute centre of their target market.

All nice enough guys, but I sort of drift out of the loop at the footy when talk goes to action figures and grapple quotes.

I guess I could do similar with my Ocado order? 

'...and what's this next out of the box? A courgette! That'll go nice with the 'hand creme' I unpacked earlier.'

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

A Product unboxing is usually say, a TV or Record player and some "expert" showing you how to take the product out of the package and turn it on, this usually involves putting the plug in the socket and pressing the power button. You'd have to be incredibly inept to even need it

That's not what people "need" them for.

Nobody is watching an unboxing video because they don't know how to turn on a bit of kit they've just bought.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

That's not what people "need" them for.

Nobody is watching an unboxing video because they don't know how to turn on a bit of kit they've just bought.

enlighten me, why else would you watch it, genuinely baffled

Just now, bickster said:

enlighten me, why else would you watch it, genuinely baffled

Like I said above, it's usually a review of what the product looks like in the flesh (away from the promotional enhanced photos that are often the only images you can get of products), what you get in the box, how it's packaged, the ease of setting up the product if that's relevant etc. They're often paired with proper reviews as well after the product has been used for a while.

It varies depending on the product but I think they're most prevalent around tech items so I think that applies to the majority.

I'm also sure that there's an element of anticipation that attracts people to them. If you're desperately waiting for that new phone you've ordered then there's something exciting about seeing it unboxed like that. I've not done that personally, but I have, for example, watched someone do a "tour" of a new car I'd bought (not the exact one, just the same model). I'd already made the purchase so it wasn't influencing my decision but I did take some excitement from seeing what my car was going to look like when I picked it up.

I have watched unboxing videos for bits of tech I was thinking of buying. I used one when I bought a phone online, for example, to make a decision on what colour I'd buy because it gave you an idea of what the colour actually looked like as opposed to what it looks like on the nice photoshopped promotional images of the phone.

I'm sure they're not for everyone, which is fine, each to their own... but nobody watches an unboxing video because they don't know how to turn on the TV they've just bought. Anyone that technology illiterate wouldn't even know what youtube was, let alone be watching gadget unboxing videos on there.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Unboxing videos are popular in the lots of geeky hobbies, particularly for things where how an item is packaged matters, like collectables, or where the product need to be assembled, like model kits. Pretty much any review of anything in that kind of field is going to have an unboxing section, if not a separate unboxing video entirely.

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Unboxing videos are popular in the lots of geeky hobbies, particularly for things where how an item is packaged matters, like collectables, or where the product need to be assembled, like model kits. Pretty much any review of anything in that kind of field is going to have an unboxing section, if not a separate unboxing video entirely.

I thought collectables were more desirable if you keep it in the original box.  Do they have keeping-things-in-the-box videos on YouTube as well?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought collectables were more desirable if you keep it in the original box.  Do they have keeping-things-in-the-box videos on YouTube as well?

Stuff like old school action figures are more important completely 'boxed' because they would usually be sold on a cardboard backing which would be destroyed when opening it. So things like Star Wars will be be noted as MOC, or Mint on Card. A lot of other stuff will come in boxes that are 'collector friendly', so you can put everything back in place with no issues.

Saying that, there's people now that put a value in the box that the box came in. You'll see a lot of high end stuff on eBay sold as 'with shipper'.

• Confused 1

Call me a fence  sitter, but while I can get on board with unboxing videos (I've watched a few for phones when I was almost set one a certain  model), the idea of 'collectables'  baffles me. There's a guy at work that's hugely into collecting wrestling figures, and is gleeful about making a few quid a month, which doesn't seem worth it when it comes at the price of having a house full of cheap plastic tat in their boxes.

As for keeping their thing in the shipping boxes...That's a step the wrong side of mental illness, isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As for keeping their thing in the shipping boxes...That's a step the wrong side of mental illness, isn't it?

Arguably.

I think the idea is that if something is sold as 'with shipper', you firstly know it's going to be sent to you in decent packaging, and secondly if someone bothered to keep the shipping box they've probably kept the thing itself in good condition.

Â