Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 15/01/2020 at 09:13, PauloBarnesi said:

Just finished watching the two part Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle on BBC 4 Storyville. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000d27r/storyville-jonestown-terror-in-the-jungle-episode-1

If you aren’t aware of this story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

The brief synopsis is religious cult decamps to Guyana led by Jim Jones, their leader. It turns gradually into a nightmare, and leads to a US senator visiting to seeing what is happening. As he leaves he is murdered, and Jones then orders his following to commit suicide. 918, including 304 children die. Some ‘willingly’, but many forced. Its grim viewing. Has some parallels with the Waco documentary that was on Storyville last year.

Last Podcast on the Left did a 5 part series on Jim Jones and Jonestown a couple of years ago which is a very interesting listen. I knew the story of the end of Jonestown (and it's more horrific than it appears in many cases - mothers poisoning their children etc) but the story of the years leading up to that point are as fascinating.

Finally got round to watching "Hitman Hart, Wrestling with Shadows" last night.

Lovely behind the scenes doc of Bret Hart's last years in the WWF. I knew most of the stories in there anyway given it was 20 odd years ago, but it's well worth a watch

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Finally got round to watching "Hitman Hart, Wrestling with Shadows" last night.

Lovely behind the scenes doc of Bret Hart's last years in the WWF. I knew most of the stories in there anyway given it was 20 odd years ago, but it's well worth a watch

The doc makers certainly picked a good year to follow him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The doc makers certainly picked a good year to follow him.

Absolutely.

Not sure they went into enough detail about how bitter the rivalry (behind the scenes) got between Hart and Michaels. And also felt they glossed over a bit of trouble that Hart was causing (about being so outspoken about how he didn't like where thew WWF was going)

On 01/02/2020 at 07:07, Seat68 said:

Watching the new Taylor Swift NetflIx documentary, Miss Americana. Really good insight. Didn't think I could like her more. 

Loved that. She came across so well. Lovely human being from the looks of it. 

• Like 1

Yeah I thought the Taylor Swift doc was pretty good as well.

It makes you realise that when you strip back all the makeup, stage clothes and all the glitz and glamour there is generally just a normal person there, shes had a bit of a hard time from the media for "going through men" but she just seemed like a normal girl to me, dare I say it quite plain really.

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

It makes you realise that when you strip back all the makeup, stage clothes and all the glitz and glamour there is generally just a normal person there, shes had a bit of a hard time from the media for "going through men" but she just seemed like a normal girl to me, dare I say it quite plain really.

Hush your mouth!

High Quality Gon GIF

• Like 1

For those of us who have such heritage, there is an interesting documentary on BBC 4 iplayer called Birmingham Irish I am, presented by Angela Moran (she of Father Teds band) who is 3rd gen irish.

A lot of it is shot around Digbeth naturally, but it rang a lot of bells for those of us whose parents came over in the 50's.

On 04/02/2020 at 10:48, AVFCDAN said:

I enjoyed it too, the way the media target people is incredible really 

So was the election stuff

Who killed Malcolm X? on Netflix is looking pretty good. I’m four episodes in and so far haven’t learnt much that I didn’t already know but it’s a really good recap of events. 

On 11/11/2019 at 02:15, TheAuthority said:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the Maradona documentary is brilliant. If like me you grew up football mad in the 80's & 90's it's particularly fascinating.

My biggest take away was that this guy was basically famous from the age of 15/16 and all he wanted to do was buy his mom and dad a house. There is a really touching scene near the beginning with him and his parents (he's about 16) that humanizes Maradona completely.

Obviously I grew up hating him when he scored that cheat goal against us in '86 and I ended up getting sent to bed by my dad for 'getting too upset about a bloody football match.' But this doc definitely softens him. There is even footage of the Argentina camp off the field during the '86 world cup which is very interesting. (It's all home video footage from the players & coaches I believe.)

Have you seen the Pele film. Dramatisation rather Documentary but he came up through very humble background and suffered tragedy as a child. 

Making a Murderer - Netflix

Just finished series 1, 10 episodes of an hour each.

Intriguing, gripping, remarkable, incredible and unbelievable tale of American justice.

A must If you like your real life crime, murder, court room stories.

Just moving on to series 2 now and another 10 episodes.

Binged my way through Evil Genius on Netflix yesterday.  Only a 4-parter but it was totally gripping.

Like the Hernandez one it leaves more questions than it answers, but it was a case I'd never heard about so it was all new to me.

Marjorie Diehl-Anderson, a brainiac in the 70s and quite fit too, ended up in with a crowd of fellow oddballs with mental health and addiction issues in the 2000s.

Suddenly there are a couple of dead bodies, including one pizza delivery guy who robbed a bank and was caught immediately after by police with a bomb still strapped to his neck and claiming that he'd been forced into it by some black men, and the oddballs are all pointing the finger at each other.

Definitely one of those that you couldn't make up.

• Like 3

Â