Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Watched two decent docs tonight on Netflix 

Hired Gun about session musicians (Billy Joel and a few others don’t come out of it well!) and The Dawn Wall about two guys who attempt to free climb the Dawn Wall on El Capitan in Yosemite national park.

really decent viewing 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/12/2018 at 21:17, AvfcRigo82 said:

I read loads on Zeitgeist years ago not long after all the 9/11 atrocities and watched a few of their things.

Will be giving this one a watch this week for sure.  

Just thought I'd give you a heads up, this is out for private viewing now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Off to see Diego Maradonna next week. Made by the same team that did Senna. 

Senna was a great watch. Hopefully the Maradonna show is as good, I mean both pioneering talents of their craft, if not the greatest.

• Like 1

Watched Icarus last night - that doc did not go in the direction it was intended!!!

amazing, if not fortunate to stumble across the main man in charge of he Russian doping scandal. 

Really interesting doc and utterly amazing how a country like Russia could cheat at a national level...  

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

What an awful piece of shit.

Woah! Live text of someone else watching a documentary. Is this a format that is common on the internet or have you just invented it? If you have, monetise it quickly, it’s brilliant! (Try to give me some warning before the next one though because I have a feeling being high is going to heighten the experience!) 

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 25/06/2019 at 18:55, Chindie said:

Netflix has a Bob Lazar documentary up, which I'm watching as I type this. It's been on 5 minutes and already this is either going to be a recommendation to avoid the thing like the plague or to watch it as a comedy. For reference Bob Lazar is a guy who got 'big' in 90s after claiming to have worked on UFOs at Area 51. He alleges the US had acquired a number of UFOs and he worked on reverse engineering one

Highlights so far... An opening monologue and credits sequence that looks like a bad film school project by the kid whose dad bought him a high end Mac.

An apparently spontaneous text showing Bob getting raided by the FBI.

Narration by Mickey Rourke, a man who can barely talk intelligibly, wittering on about bollocks. For some reason they've made this horrible voiceover even worse by occasionally distorting it, like it's an old cassette Rourke recorded that they've discovered.

An interview with a US reporter from the 80s who originally broke the Bob  UFOs Lazar story I believe, who for some reason they decided to interview next to his very echoey indoor pool.

Old footage of the original interview with Lazar which they've added really cack handed errors to. Ugh.

Interview with Lazar's neighbour. Why are we talking to Bob's neighbour? Bob's neighbour has provided no insight beyond the fact he carried an Uzi because he felt threatened around him in case something happened. Ok...

Interview with Bob's mom. Bob was a kid who tinkered with stuff. His mom doesn't care if you believe him. Subtle zoom when she says things slightly ominous. Ugh.

Interview with his wife. She doesn't believe Bob is a liar. In other news, woman finds husband to be a good man.

Bob runs a business where people awkwardly wearing lab coats put mercury in vials. Also he wants to make a modern version of a kids radioactive lab toy. Also he burns and measures chemicals on kitchen roll. He has always 'done science'. Bob compares sending back a nuclear reactor to Victorian times to us investigating advanced tech. He claims to have worked on a reactor that repulsed things like a magnet.

The filmmaker is annoying. He is faking having a conversation on the phone with the 80s reporter in the most awkward way. 2 shots he cuts between of him sitting at a table in his living room, alone, looking at his phone mixed with some stock footage.

Bob claimed in his original revelations that the area 51 site he worked at had a bizarre security system that seemed to measure your hand to gain access. The host has found photos that show workers at the stealth bomber research facility had a similar thing. Shown the photos, remarkably he reckons they're the same.

Lazar claims to have worked at various places like Los Alamos, these places deny he did, but old footage confirms he did work there via news clippings and phone directories. This is literally the first compelling thing they've shown, and even that relies on us believing that these places actively covered up him working there and not that, for instance, that they just forgot he did. There's also issues with his educational background.

The Rourke voiceover is getting worse. The accompanying stock footage for some reason has Concorde stock footage alongside aliens. Eh. Also the CGI is dreadful.

Bob may or may not have seen a couple of scientists chatting with an alien. It was either a doll or an alien. It was probably a doll. Probably. He only saw it quickly. They were testing it for seating in the craft.

Bob claims that science doesn't know what gravity is, but they were working on an engine that seemed to be able create gravity. The engine was able to generate a distortion in gravity that dragged the craft forward. This is completely unlike any form of locomotion humanity has made. There must be aliens with an understanding of science or physics that is beyond ours. But Bob Lazar took this reactor apart.

Old footage shows Lazar saying he actually saw alien bodies, which were small, and the seats in the craft were small, so they were clearly related.

Bob went through hypnosis to try to recall more details of what he'd seen, as it seems he can't recall many specifics of all this crazy stuff he alleges to have been involved with.

They have footage of his hypnosis, and weirdly they've got the actual hypnotist to do a dramatic reading of his hypnosis technique. With a crap effect over the top. They're going through Bob's hypnosis notes, apparently, and so far we've learnt that Bob can draw a standard 1950s B movie UFO.

Bob did some polygraph tests that were agreed to show that he appeared not to be lying. He also is alleged to have known about things that were not publicly known until far later (he knew about a specific area of Area 51, he knew about an element that wasn't recognised until many years later, although the discussion of this is laughably vague). He also had video footage of UFO test flights. Riiiiiight.

Bob's drawing UFOs again. Straight out of the Twilight Zone circa 1954. Allegedly they fly via turning belly up and pointing 3 gravity distorters forwards. They can also 'slide', classic movie style, by using 2 to hover and 1 to pull them forwards.

Bob got raided. This was just a conversation with his wife in the kitchen while she holds a paper clipping. Ok. Er?

Incredibly contrived secret meeting with Bob. They... put their phones on the ground nearby because...? It seems they want to have some private conversation as insurance but it's so private the documentary shows exactly what its about - he nicked some of the secret element.

Then he got raided. Allegedly. And they cited the secret conversation. Allegedly. Bob has been stood by a door he's about to open for 3 minutes talking. THE DOOR HAS A CAT BEHIND IT. Call the cops!

Bob has some strange aerospace material. To make it look stranger they reverse him pouring the pellets through his hands. Ooooeeeoooooo.

Bob's employee is on board. Good for him. Brown nosing gets you everywhere.

Filmmaker is acting like he's trying to get tougher with Bob by pushing the idea he has some of this secret material. Bob having none of it (...he will by the end. Calling it). Filmmaker is incredibly insincere.

THEY FOUND A TAPE! THIS IS IMPORTANT!...? The tape shows what appears to be a hockey puck with a wire and some green chewing gum, and some smoke with a light on it. This proves he had some of this element that warps gravity, apparently. It looks like something from a children's spooky horror play. Ludicrous.

Bob's drawing again. He describes this new element being formed into a cone. Zepellins shown in a montage for some reason. I feel like the filmmaker paid for some stock footage of the history of aviation and he'll be damned if he's not using all of it. Apparently if you don't make the cone of this fake element right it doesn't work.

Bob makes fireworks. Shrug. He also doesn't like people looking for flaws in what he says. I wonder why.

The people that know Bob best don't think he's a liar... In unrelated news, the family and friends of most serial killers don't think dad has a collection of prostitutes heads in the shed.

**** this Rourke voiceover is dreadful.

Ah shit he didn't reveal he had the fake material.

Haha it has a cast list. Bob Lazar as THE SCIENTIST. Joy White as THE WIFE.

The Rogan podcast interview is worth a listen to get more of a feel for the guy.

It's becoming a current cultural thing in a way... a local apartment building here had the following sign outside their rental office yesterday "Come in and storm our offices, instead of Area-51"!

Thatcher a British revolution was a pretty interesting documentary about  one of the great Prime Ministers and players on the modern world stage 

a bit rose tinted at times but interesting and worth a watch on iPlayer if you’ve got the time 

On 10/07/2018 at 17:49, A'Villan said:

Thanks for posting this. Baldwin is highly intelligent and wonderfully articulate.

To give a brief review, I found it to be slow and not very entertaining. It was about sending a message and provoking thought, whilst telling a story.

Here's an example of the message sent, quite profound, I thought:

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing is changed until it is faced."

"The question you got to ask yourself, the white population of this country has got to ask itself, is why it was necessary to have a n****r in the first place.
'Cause I'm not a n****r, I'm a man. But if you think I'm a n****r, means you need it, and you gotta find out why. The future of the country depends on that."

You gotta love Baldwin. As brave as they come. Wonderful writer too.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 00:15, theboyangel said:

Watched two decent docs tonight on Netflix 

Hired Gun about session musicians (Billy Joel and a few others don’t come out of it well!) and The Dawn Wall about two guys who attempt to free climb the Dawn Wall on El Capitan in Yosemite national park.

really decent viewing 

I thought the Dawn Wall was surprisingly brilliant. Although it did seem a little contrived in parts. 

• Like 1

Three Identical Strangers was decent. A really interesting story that kinda didn't end up going anywhere but it's real life so you can't manufacture an end. 

On 25/06/2019 at 23:55, Chindie said:

Netflix has a Bob Lazar documentary up, which I'm watching as I type this. It's been on 5 minutes and already this is either going to be a recommendation to avoid the thing like the plague or to watch it as a comedy. For reference Bob Lazar is a guy who got 'big' in 90s after claiming to have worked on UFOs at Area 51. He alleges the US had acquired a number of UFOs and he worked on reverse engineering one

Highlights so far... An opening monologue and credits sequence that looks like a bad film school project by the kid whose dad bought him a high end Mac.

An apparently spontaneous text showing Bob getting raided by the FBI.

Narration by Mickey Rourke, a man who can barely talk intelligibly, wittering on about bollocks. For some reason they've made this horrible voiceover even worse by occasionally distorting it, like it's an old cassette Rourke recorded that they've discovered.

An interview with a US reporter from the 80s who originally broke the Bob  UFOs Lazar story I believe, who for some reason they decided to interview next to his very echoey indoor pool.

Old footage of the original interview with Lazar which they've added really cack handed errors to. Ugh.

Interview with Lazar's neighbour. Why are we talking to Bob's neighbour? Bob's neighbour has provided no insight beyond the fact he carried an Uzi because he felt threatened around him in case something happened. Ok...

Interview with Bob's mom. Bob was a kid who tinkered with stuff. His mom doesn't care if you believe him. Subtle zoom when she says things slightly ominous. Ugh.

Interview with his wife. She doesn't believe Bob is a liar. In other news, woman finds husband to be a good man.

Bob runs a business where people awkwardly wearing lab coats put mercury in vials. Also he wants to make a modern version of a kids radioactive lab toy. Also he burns and measures chemicals on kitchen roll. He has always 'done science'. Bob compares sending back a nuclear reactor to Victorian times to us investigating advanced tech. He claims to have worked on a reactor that repulsed things like a magnet.

The filmmaker is annoying. He is faking having a conversation on the phone with the 80s reporter in the most awkward way. 2 shots he cuts between of him sitting at a table in his living room, alone, looking at his phone mixed with some stock footage.

Bob claimed in his original revelations that the area 51 site he worked at had a bizarre security system that seemed to measure your hand to gain access. The host has found photos that show workers at the stealth bomber research facility had a similar thing. Shown the photos, remarkably he reckons they're the same.

Lazar claims to have worked at various places like Los Alamos, these places deny he did, but old footage confirms he did work there via news clippings and phone directories. This is literally the first compelling thing they've shown, and even that relies on us believing that these places actively covered up him working there and not that, for instance, that they just forgot he did. There's also issues with his educational background.

The Rourke voiceover is getting worse. The accompanying stock footage for some reason has Concorde stock footage alongside aliens. Eh. Also the CGI is dreadful.

Bob may or may not have seen a couple of scientists chatting with an alien. It was either a doll or an alien. It was probably a doll. Probably. He only saw it quickly. They were testing it for seating in the craft.

Bob claims that science doesn't know what gravity is, but they were working on an engine that seemed to be able create gravity. The engine was able to generate a distortion in gravity that dragged the craft forward. This is completely unlike any form of locomotion humanity has made. There must be aliens with an understanding of science or physics that is beyond ours. But Bob Lazar took this reactor apart.

Old footage shows Lazar saying he actually saw alien bodies, which were small, and the seats in the craft were small, so they were clearly related.

Bob went through hypnosis to try to recall more details of what he'd seen, as it seems he can't recall many specifics of all this crazy stuff he alleges to have been involved with.

They have footage of his hypnosis, and weirdly they've got the actual hypnotist to do a dramatic reading of his hypnosis technique. With a crap effect over the top. They're going through Bob's hypnosis notes, apparently, and so far we've learnt that Bob can draw a standard 1950s B movie UFO.

Bob did some polygraph tests that were agreed to show that he appeared not to be lying. He also is alleged to have known about things that were not publicly known until far later (he knew about a specific area of Area 51, he knew about an element that wasn't recognised until many years later, although the discussion of this is laughably vague). He also had video footage of UFO test flights. Riiiiiight.

Bob's drawing UFOs again. Straight out of the Twilight Zone circa 1954. Allegedly they fly via turning belly up and pointing 3 gravity distorters forwards. They can also 'slide', classic movie style, by using 2 to hover and 1 to pull them forwards.

Bob got raided. This was just a conversation with his wife in the kitchen while she holds a paper clipping. Ok. Er?

Incredibly contrived secret meeting with Bob. They... put their phones on the ground nearby because...? It seems they want to have some private conversation as insurance but it's so private the documentary shows exactly what its about - he nicked some of the secret element.

Then he got raided. Allegedly. And they cited the secret conversation. Allegedly. Bob has been stood by a door he's about to open for 3 minutes talking. THE DOOR HAS A CAT BEHIND IT. Call the cops!

Bob has some strange aerospace material. To make it look stranger they reverse him pouring the pellets through his hands. Ooooeeeoooooo.

Bob's employee is on board. Good for him. Brown nosing gets you everywhere.

Filmmaker is acting like he's trying to get tougher with Bob by pushing the idea he has some of this secret material. Bob having none of it (...he will by the end. Calling it). Filmmaker is incredibly insincere.

THEY FOUND A TAPE! THIS IS IMPORTANT!...? The tape shows what appears to be a hockey puck with a wire and some green chewing gum, and some smoke with a light on it. This proves he had some of this element that warps gravity, apparently. It looks like something from a children's spooky horror play. Ludicrous.

Bob's drawing again. He describes this new element being formed into a cone. Zepellins shown in a montage for some reason. I feel like the filmmaker paid for some stock footage of the history of aviation and he'll be damned if he's not using all of it. Apparently if you don't make the cone of this fake element right it doesn't work.

Bob makes fireworks. Shrug. He also doesn't like people looking for flaws in what he says. I wonder why.

The people that know Bob best don't think he's a liar... In unrelated news, the family and friends of most serial killers don't think dad has a collection of prostitutes heads in the shed.

**** this Rourke voiceover is dreadful.

Ah shit he didn't reveal he had the fake material.

Haha it has a cast list. Bob Lazar as THE SCIENTIST. Joy White as THE WIFE.

Absolutely nailed it.

I've got halfway through and I'm not sure I can take anymore :D

Â