Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

I watched this one last night. Spent some time with him in the very early part of his career and it was desperately sad to watch. 

I doubt most will have heard from him but Andy Irons was two times world champion, struggled with addiction and bipolar disorder and died of a heart attack a couple of years ago as a result of his drug use. 

35F5D3B0-68FF-464B-B946-8ED3804E9F90.jpeg

Nice! I'll have to check that one out.

On a similar theme but moving to skateboard the Vice documentary on Ali Boulala in the Epicly Later'd series is really good.

All 4 parts is on the VICE Youtube channel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Nice! I'll have to check that one out.

On a similar theme but moving to skateboard the Vice documentary on Ali Boulala in the Epicly Later'd series is really good.

All 4 parts is on the VICE Youtube channel

The Boulala story is horrific. I watched a documentary on him a few years ago. Will check that one out too. 

• Like 1

Mad to me that you're chatting surfing in here when I've spent time watching a surfing documentary today.

Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable.

Not having any balance at all, these things have always amazed me from afar.

As for her amazing story, well worth a watch.

• Like 1

Finished that CRISPR stuff. 

Jebus. I was aware of it, and having had the honour of knowing someone who suffered from muscular dystrophy I am sold on the benefits to medicine being able to offer those who suffer from genetic conditions some semblance of respite.

Having said that, the bio-hackers as they dub themselves were a bunch of scary weirdos (and this is me talking) and they don't seem to grasp the possible consequences of their actions. 

Stop the world.

Anyone watched planet of the humans? 

I'm wary of Moore, he has a couple of incredible docs in him but is also so far up his own ass that he can be hard to watch, him seemingly promoting this film using negative publicity doesn't help

How to fix a drug scandal. 

Late to the party on this one but Jebus 3 episodes in and despite being a little padded out it's utterly riveting. 

People looking for the cheapest option... again. Seems to be a common problem in our world eh? And the deference to authority.

Mental.

Ah well, it's only people's lives :(

Makes me wonder even more about the randox scandal over here. 

On 07/05/2020 at 13:43, villa4europe said:

I'm wary of Moore, he has a couple of incredible docs in him but is also so far up his own ass that he can be hard to watch, him seemingly promoting this film using negative publicity doesn't help

Yes ive watched it and i think it's brilliant, a bit long but well worth the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Secrets of Valley of the kings on CH 4 is quite good ... yeah it’s yet another show about Egypt and archeology but it’s quite in-depth with the work they are still doing without finding another tomb like Tut..... can’t wait for the new Cairo museum to open I’m long overdue another visit to Egypt .... suspect I’m too old but if the business doesn’t survive Covid I might see if I can volunteer to work on a dig , even if it’s just carrying buckets of rubble 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 12:43, villa4europe said:

He's put money in (executive producer).

He's not in it at all fwiw.

@Ikantcpell is right. Worth it.

Moved on to climbing and binged Meru, Valley Uprising and Free Solo.

All really good and made within a few years of each other.

They all tie together in that some of the same people appear and if you have not watched Free Solo I strongly recommend watching Valley Uprising first because it shows the birth and development in climbing in Yosemite and shows just how bonkers the feat Alex does in Free Solo.

And if you have watched Free Solo then Valley Uprising is a really nice bit of background to the people who went before him. Valley Uprising is probably my favorite out of the 3 but they are all good.

Free SoloMeruValley Uprising

Edited by sne

I watched the 2009 documentary The Cove, on Sunday. It was made by Rick O'Barry, the man that was responsible for capturing the five dolphins that played the part of Flipper. Once he realised that keeping dolphins in captivity is cruel, he changed his ways and embarked on a 35 year battle to stop the capture and mistreatment of dolphins. The Cove is in Taiji in Japan, a small fishing port where from September to March every year they routinely slaughter thousands of dolphins. It's pretty horrific watching but he pulls a team together with the Oceanic Preservation Society to investigate what happens there. It really is disgusting what goes on, but the work they did to film is quite remarkable. 

They show the International Whaling Convention meetings and the poor Caribbean countries that were paid off to vote in favour of Japan's right to kill dolphins. Even though these dolphins contain crazily high levels of mercury, they still feed the meat to their children. Japan withdrew from the IWC last year, they were still hunting whales for food but now they can hunt and kill as many as they want without repercussion. 

There's another documentary made by the OPS called Racing Extinction that looks equally as horrendous, but worth watching if you want to educate yourself with what's happening to our planet. There's one clip in the trailer where they're in a warehouse in China, and every endangered species on the planet is vac packed for human consumption.

Both are on Amazon Prime but not free. Is it just me that thinks these sort of documentaries should be free to watch so more people are aware? How else can things change. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2020 at 00:04, tonyh29 said:

Secrets of Valley of the kings on CH 4 is quite good ... yeah it’s yet another show about Egypt and archeology but it’s quite in-depth with the work they are still doing without finding another tomb like Tut..... can’t wait for the new Cairo museum to open I’m long overdue another visit to Egypt .... suspect I’m too old but if the business doesn’t survive Covid I might see if I can volunteer to work on a dig , even if it’s just carrying buckets of rubble 

Mrsvm loves a bit of pyramids and ancient civilisations stuff, so I tracked this down on 4oD. Obviously realised there's a first series so we started there and watching some Spanish bods moving a model boat. 

This has been here over 4000 years they said

Well leave it there then you grave robbing bar stewards I couldn't help thinking!

Also, completely off topic, but they were the first advertisement breaks we've been subjected to for a number of years now and we both had a weird reaction to them. Here's a load of colours now give me your money. Mental.

(The virgin one made me outwardly curse Branson. Clap for carers indeed you nhs service contract buying and then dumping when you realised it's a bit too complicated to deliver on hypocritical word removed)

But yeah we'll probably watch the rest even though the narrator lady was getting under mrsvm's skin.

"This one wasn't a kings tomb, because it was for a lady"

"I think you mean Queen, not lady"

Etc.

40 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Mrsvm loves a bit of pyramids and ancient civilisations stuff, so I tracked this down on 4oD. Obviously realised there's a first series so we started there and watching some Spanish bods moving a model boat. 

This has been here over 4000 years they said

Well leave it there then you grave robbing bar stewards I couldn't help thinking!

Also, completely off topic, but they were the first advertisement breaks we've been subjected to for a number of years now and we both had a weird reaction to them. Here's a load of colours now give me your money. Mental.

(The virgin one made me outwardly curse Branson. Clap for carers indeed you nhs service contract buying and then dumping when you realised it's a bit too complicated to deliver on hypocritical word removed)

But yeah we'll probably watch the rest even though the narrator lady was getting under mrsvm's skin.

"This one wasn't a kings tomb, because it was for a lady"

"I think you mean Queen, not lady"

Etc.

yeah some relics they find lack the appeal of a golden face mask but It’s the kinda detective work element that I find interesting , from an object found in the rubble at a grave site valley to verifying it against a monument elsewhere  ...

there could still be one big find in Egypt , I can imagine everytime someone uncovers a new grave they must be thinking “is this the one “.. only to find it’s completely empty when they open it ... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah some relics they find lack the appeal of a golden face mask but It’s the kinda detective work element that I find interesting , from an object found in the rubble at a grave site valley to verifying it against a monument elsewhere  ...

there could still be one big find in Egypt , I can imagine everytime someone uncovers a new grave they must be thinking “is this the one “.. only to find it’s completely empty when they open it ... 

Yeah, all joking aside it's fascinating.

Those American professors in period costume though 😅

• 2 weeks later...
Â