Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

5 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Binged my way through Evil Genius on Netflix yesterday.  Only a 4-parter but it was totally gripping.

Like the Hernandez one it leaves more questions than it answers, but it was a case I'd never heard about so it was all new to me.

Marjorie Diehl-Anderson, a brainiac in the 70s and quite fit too, ended up in with a crowd of fellow oddballs with mental health and addiction issues in the 2000s.

Suddenly there are a couple of dead bodies, including one pizza delivery guy who robbed a bank and was caught immediately after by police with a bomb still strapped to his neck and claiming that he'd been forced into it by some black men, and the oddballs are all pointing the finger at each other.

Definitely one of those that you couldn't make up.

This is a bat shit crazy story. Has to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 12:40, imavillan said:

Making a Murderer - Netflix

Just finished series 1, 10 episodes of an hour each.

Intriguing, gripping, remarkable, incredible and unbelievable tale of American justice.

A must If you like your real life crime, murder, court room stories.

Just moving on to series 2 now and another 10 episodes.

You are a bit late to the party!

This is the documentary that kick started the true crime boom. Very fascinating.

I'm still undecided if they got the right person/people by the wrong means or not. There's definitely more to it and different suspects that are revealed in the 2nd series but these people seemingly weren't even looked at the first time around because they were so sure they had their man.

19 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

You are a bit late to the party!

This is the documentary that kick started the true crime boom. Very fascinating.

I'm still undecided if they got the right person/people by the wrong means or not. There's definitely more to it and different suspects that are revealed in the 2nd series but these people seemingly weren't even looked at the first time around because they were so sure they had their man.

I'm 100% sure that 

Spoiler

Brendan had nothing to do with it.
Steven I'm not so sure, but the second season did a good job of debunking all the theories people had after the first series of why he was actually guilty

But as I always say with these things, my opinion is based entirely off the documentary. And it's very easy to be swayed by a one sided point of view.

my thoughts on it - 

Spoiler

I don't buy in to the logic of the whole crime

on one hand he is a criminal mastermind who can clean blood from a messy garage and on the other he leaves bones in a fire pit, the whole thing is too scattergun between genius and stupidity and then every time he talks it kind of suggests its not the former

its great entertainment though and really well put together, the woman finding the car thanks to a little help is still probably the maddest thing I've ever heard in a crime documentary 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my thoughts on it - 

Hide contents

I don't buy in to the logic of the whole crime

on one hand he is a criminal mastermind who can clean blood from a messy garage and on the other he leaves bones in a fire pit, the whole thing is too scattergun between genius and stupidity and then every time he talks it kind of suggests its not the former

its great entertainment though and really well put together, the woman finding the car thanks to a little help is still probably the maddest thing I've ever heard in a crime documentary 

For me a lot of it is his (Steven's) absolute willingness to talk about it, do any test you throw at him etc.

Spoiler

There was that brain blueprinting test or whatever it was in the second season. Now I think the test was probably nonsense, but I don't think Steven Avery would know that it's nonsense and would probably genuinely believe it would tell everyone his thoughts or whatever they said it would do.

He didn't even hesitate to do it. Just doesn't seem like the attitude of somebody who had anything to hide.

I still think it's possible he did it. I don't think Brendan was involved in any way though and it's heartbreaking that he's still in prison

I find it so utterly fascinating how many people are involved and how much mystery there is with these things and it's just one man. If you knew what he was thinking the whole thing would be solved instantly.

I've no doubt Brendan is innocent, and even if he wasn't the manner of his conviction is so patently clearly nonsense that no self respecting fair justice system could look at it and not see it for what it is - a scared kid that doesn't understand what he's involved in being coaxed into saying the things the detectives want to hear. It's also fairly obvious that he's a lynchpin of the case against Stephen, and that's a significant part of why nobody is going to let him go.

Stephen might be guilty. Nobody but him and the victim knows. What I am quite sure of, is that the police don't know what actually happened either, and the case they built to incriminate him is completely manufactured. They concluded he was their man and made sure they'd get him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've no doubt Brendan is innocent, and even if he wasn't the manner of his conviction is so patently clearly nonsense that no self respecting fair justice system could look at it and not see it for what it is - a scared kid that doesn't understand what he's involved in being coaxed into saying the things the detectives want to hear. It's also fairly obvious that he's a lynchpin of the case against Stephen, and that's a significant part of why nobody is going to let him go.

Stephen might be guilty. Nobody but him and the victim knows. What I am quite sure of, is that the police don't know what actually happened either, and the case they built to incriminate him is completely manufactured. They concluded he was their man and made sure they'd get him.

Certainly if Stephen did do it, it didn't happen the way the police said it did.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 19:27, Brumerican said:

He used to get in bar fights constantly rolling with the Pouncey Bros and was stoned off his head 24/7 .  His bisexuality was spoken about quietly even then .

Joe Haden was dealing bricks from his dorm. Tebow was buying booze for all his underage team mates. Percy Harvin and Spikes were naughty little bastards too.

The Swamp is apt.

This is a nice add on that goes into it a bit more.

What a team.

• Thanks 2

Watched American factory, I'll be honest and say I knew it was on Netflix but hadn't caught any hype about it pre Oscar win but watched it because it won

Overall thoughts are that it's good, it's interesting, it's not majorly thought provoking and actually kind of reaffirmed my thoughts going in to it, it's a 7/10 watchable enjoyable pretty forgettable documentary which when you consider in the last 10 years the likes of 5 broken cameras, the act of killing, the square, winter on fire, 13th didn't win and they are all far superior 

Not sure if documentaries need spoilers but I will 

Spoiler

Through my work estimating International construction I know that there are a few efficiency indexes that put the states out on top, that's a lie, they're horriblely inefficient workers so that element of it was no surprise to me, neither was the Chinese working long hours in shit conditions, the interviews with Chinese workers about not seeing their kids I'd seen in a documentary called last train home which is superb, the not worked for 5 years don't like this job type stuff gave me little sympathy, did have some for the Chinese sent to america

Thought that the film leant more towards the Chinese, maybe because of how they got the rights to actually make the film, certainly didn't post the yanks in a good light whilst at the same time showing a lot of blatant good times from the Chinese (almost in a "our viewers are too smart to know this put on show isn't bullshit" kind of way) 

I have the same kind of opinion on unions as to what was suggested whilst at the same time thinking that the awful workers rights in America and need for unions is trailing behind healthcare and guns but definitely another on the list of the things that the greatest country on earth seems to get completely wrong compared to western europe

2 complaints would be that the automated stuff felt like it could be really interesting but was tacked on at the end rather than being developed properly and he probably signed an NDA and got paid well enough but the interview with the ex vice president could have got a lot spicier, maybe they could also have looked as to why that GM factory failed in thr first place, a few workers stated how great it was there and how much money they made but a little background as to how / why they failed could have added some good context, again the people with no job for 5 years moaning about how good it was working for a failed company could be more meaningful if they explained that ironically the high pay drove them under 

Just watched Asif Kapadia's Diego Maradona documentary. Really good.

Hadn't realised quite how early in his career the drug problems began, and how bad it already was at the peak of his footballing career. In my head it was more of a late-career thing (the 1994 World Cup is the first international football tournament I remember well, so I associated his problems with that period).

Anyway, it's well worth a watch. He'd always been a bit of a villain for me growing up on the Falklands / Hand of God / Dirty Argies stuff which dominated media reporting in the 90s. But comes across as a more sympathetic, intelligent character - an early victim of celebrity culture in many ways. A lot of similarities with Gazza.

David Baddiel's thing on Holocaust denial is a thought provoking and timely thing. 

So, for that matter, is Kathy Burke's All Woman but for obviously different reasons. 

I feel better informed for having watched both. 

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Making a Murderer made me so angry when I watched it. Really.

America is mental.

And me, in terms of emotion it’s hands down the angriest I’ve ever been at tv it proper riled me, I’ve not seen too much like it

the obvious ones are health care and guns and it’s to a much lesser extent and I can’t pinpoint the exact thing what it was but American factory and unionisation / workers rights is on the America is mental list

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to watch the new ZZ Top documentary. ZZ Top That little ol' band from Texas.

Quite liked it, it focuses almost exclusively on their early stuff which is fine by me since their first 5 albums are fantastic. I like the later stuff as well but those first ones are top notch.

Doesn't go into a great detail and it's about music and very little private stuff which is once again fine by me.

Great music, ZZ Top always puts me in a good mood.

ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas Poster

Â