Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

12 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I loved Wu-Tang. GZA in particular. RZA was the guy who made it all happen for them really, wasn't he? I think there a few cousins among the group. I forget.

Self destructive in what sense? Ol' Dirty Bastard was the only one who was clearly in need of help as far as I could see. RZA and GZA are highly intelligent, same as inspectah deck.

The rest seemed to have faced the challenges so many African-American's do and were part of a culture of surviving tough times through desperation and lack of remorse.

Having not really paid them any mind or attention for some years I wouldn't be surprised if I misrepresent them to some degree, but curious for you to expand on their story.

They were self-destructive in the sense that money got between them all and they all wanted to leave Wu-Tang Productions (the label) and move to different labels, and their music and friendship suffered as a consequence of that. Whereas if they had have remained with RZA they'd all likely be closer and putting out better material. But I guess it happens to most groups as egos grow. RZA did come across as a bit of a control freak though. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

BBC1 documentary on Jesy from Little Mix, was not expecting it, but how are young people so hateful on social media.  To make by bullying someone so young feel that way, is it jealousy.

Social media is horrific. Allows people to say things they wouldn't dream of in 'real life'. You only have to look at the daily abuse Jack Grealish gets. 

Young women no doubt get it far worse. Its a toxic platform. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Social media is horrific. Allows people to say things they wouldn't dream of in 'real life'. You only have to look at the daily abuse Jack Grealish gets. 

Young women no doubt get it far worse. Its a toxic platform. 

Agreed @Xela but to see my daughter get so  upset about it really brought it home, not going to lie but when it started I jokingly said I would eat a placemat then I realised I am no better although I don’t post on social media (VT an exception)

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2019 at 21:47, choffer said:

A re-evaluation of acid house, a musical phenomenon that, as this film shows, did not spring out of nowhere, but owed its emergence to the social and political landscape of 1980s Britain.

Only on iPlayer for a week or so though

I'm late to this, thankfully I missed this programme as that one line there tells me all I need to know. The programme was talking shit.

Acid house was a product of MDMA, nothing to do with politics or social whatsits.

Proper extacsy started hitting the streets and normal house music wasn't quite doing it. House itself was a relatively new thing but shortly after it followed MDMA. All of this would have happened regardless of any sociopolitical landscape. Kids do drugs and listen to music, MDMA just made musicians make house trippier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/11/2019 at 22:31, avfcDJ said:

Are there any good documentaries around?

I like Making a Murderer.

Looking on YouTube, Netflix, or Prime. Actually, even Sky.

Catching Britain's Killers: The Crimes That Changed Us

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m00095qf/catching-britains-killers-the-crimes-that-changed-us

The stories of murder investigations and their extraordinary consequences, which overturned laws, transformed police interrogation and revolutionised forensic detection.

Three episodes.

Well worth the watch.

The woman who, through perseverance, changed the law on double jeopardy is truly amazing and an inspiration.

Edited by imavillan

I haven't seen Making a Murderer, but the true crime documentary series on Robert Durst called The Jinx, which originally aired on HBO was pretty good. Albeit I think there has been some controversy since as to how it was edited. It can be streamed on dailymotion, it's also on youtube but not free to watch on there.

Edited by useless

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the Maradona documentary is brilliant. If like me you grew up football mad in the 80's & 90's it's particularly fascinating.

My biggest take away was that this guy was basically famous from the age of 15/16 and all he wanted to do was buy his mom and dad a house. There is a really touching scene near the beginning with him and his parents (he's about 16) that humanizes Maradona completely.

Obviously I grew up hating him when he scored that cheat goal against us in '86 and I ended up getting sent to bed by my dad for 'getting too upset about a bloody football match.' But this doc definitely softens him. There is even footage of the Argentina camp off the field during the '86 world cup which is very interesting. (It's all home video footage from the players & coaches I believe.)

• Like 4

On 11/11/2019 at 13:15, TheAuthority said:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the Maradona documentary is brilliant. If like me you grew up football mad in the 80's & 90's it's particularly fascinating.

My biggest take away was that this guy was basically famous from the age of 15/16 and all he wanted to do was buy his mom and dad a house. There is a really touching scene near the beginning with him and his parents (he's about 16) that humanizes Maradona completely.

Obviously I grew up hating him when he scored that cheat goal against us in '86 and I ended up getting sent to bed by my dad for 'getting too upset about a bloody football match.' But this doc definitely softens him. There is even footage of the Argentina camp off the field during the '86 world cup which is very interesting. (It's all home video footage from the players & coaches I believe.)

Thanks, I was hell bent on watching this but never got around to it. So I'll do that today I think. The GOAT imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a 6 part documentary series on Swedish state telly SVT about the "Swedish pop wonder" called Det Svenska popundret.

It really is fascinating how much influence Sweden has on the current pop music scene. Hardly a single pop song in charts that isn't written and or produced by s Swede these days.

It's not my type of music but still pretty fantastic what the free community music schools has produced over the years.

It's on svtplay.se to watch for free but you might need a vpn.

And of course it is in Swedish...

• Like 2

Â