Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Just watched Three Identical Strangers premise is in 1980 a guy learns he has a twin when he's mistaken for someone else as he's about to begin a college year. That story gets out, and of course a 3rd person reads it and sees two of him staring back at him. It's a superficially upbeat start full of "wow" but it takes a dark turn in acts 2 and 3 as questions are raised as to how they ended up being separated, and the consequences of their new relationships as time passes. Excellently done, fascinating and very moving. 

On Netflix btw

• Like 4

Absolutely enthralled by the Maradona doc. It's a fine testament to the vulnerability of genius. What he did for Napoli was nothing short of miraculous. Addiction has been the downfall of many a genius and this doc pulls no punches with the sad decline of one of greatest players to grace the game.

There's a really funny quote towards the end from Diego as he is making his way to a TV studio in Argentina after his release from a psychiatric hospital. As he makes his way through the throng, someone shouts, " your bigger than the Pope " , to which he replies, " that's not much ". Even as a Celtic fan, I laughed at that. 

• Like 1

On 12/02/2020 at 12:00, Stevo985 said:

For me a lot of it is his (Steven's) absolute willingness to talk about it, do any test you throw at him etc.

Hide contents

There was that brain blueprinting test or whatever it was in the second season. Now I think the test was probably nonsense, but I don't think Steven Avery would know that it's nonsense and would probably genuinely believe it would tell everyone his thoughts or whatever they said it would do.

He didn't even hesitate to do it. Just doesn't seem like the attitude of somebody who had anything to hide.

I still think it's possible he did it. I don't think Brendan was involved in any way though and it's heartbreaking that he's still in prison

I find it so utterly fascinating how many people are involved and how much mystery there is with these things and it's just one man. If you knew what he was thinking the whole thing would be solved instantly.

I agree totally with you.  Never once does he look like a man with a look of guilt.

For those who have watched Tiger King, this film follows the life of Rick Kirkham, the guy who was the documentary maker on the show. All self-filmed footage of the impact smoking crack had on his life, career, marriage in the 90’s. Harrowing to watch. 

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

Growing up, even though I didn't live in Shrewsbury, if you said 40 Wyle Cop to the people of Telford or Shrewsbury, most people knew what it was. When I was 17 and went in to buy erotic literature, that was my first experience of a sex shop. In the 80s at least, there was nothing sexy about a sex shop. 

Anyone into electronic music i suggest watch the Avicii/ Tim Bergling documentary on the Iplayer. He wasnt my cup of tea music wise but a great documentary about him touring and his on and off illness and a load more!

Edited by leighavfc

Despite not being a fan of their stuff (although I'd now like to get my hands on Tres Hombres) I really enjoyed the ZZ Top doc on Netflix. 

Not overly long but full of good footage and interviews. 

Really want to watch the Spike Jonez doc The Beastie Boys Story but it's on AppleTv+ so it won't be for a while (unless I don an eyepatch and check certain bays) 

Edited by theboyangel

44 minutes ago, sne said:

The Laird Hamilton doc Take Every Wave is really good, think even people who are not into surfing might enjoy it.

Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton Poster

Riding Giants is also an epic surf doc that would interest none-surfers (iirc LH makes an appearance in that too)

will check out Take Every Wave too - cheers 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Riding Giants is also an epic surf doc that would interest none-surfers (iirc LH makes an appearance in that too)

will check out Take Every Wave too - cheers 

Yeah I really like that one too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

The Laird Hamilton doc Take Every Wave is really good, think even people who are not into surfing might enjoy it.

Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton Poster

I watched this one last night. Spent some time with him in the very early part of his career and it was desperately sad to watch. 

I doubt most will have heard from him but Andy Irons was two times world champion, struggled with addiction and bipolar disorder and died of a heart attack a couple of years ago as a result of his drug use. 

35F5D3B0-68FF-464B-B946-8ED3804E9F90.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Â