Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Just watched 'Five came back' on Netflix. Was unexpectedly rather brilliant. Felt compelled to watch all 3 bits in one go even if it meant being up late on a Sunday night.

Also watched 'Survivors guide to prison' earlier which was also better than I expected it to be.

Sunday's are a real laugh round mine it seems :blink:

• Haha 1

I watched Green Book over the weekend about well the green book, a 1950s travellers guide to America for black people. It informed them where was safe to stay, where welcomed them, hotel guides etc. It really was quite illuminating.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure if this counts, but I enjoyed this short (audio) documentary on YouTube about the Amen Break. Super interesting.

Dunno if anyone has done a doc on this break but its just as ubiquitous

• Like 1

Just finished " Unforgivable Blackness ". It's on You tube and is a Ken Burns doc about the first black heavyweight champion, Jack Johnson. 

It has to be one of the best docs I've seen. How racist America searched desperately for the great ,white, hope and how Jack just kept beating them up with a giant grin on his face. 

What a fine dresser ,this man was. Long before Chris Eubank paraded around in jodhpurs. 

• Like 3

On 12/08/2019 at 07:55, bickster said:

Dunno if anyone has done a doc on this break but its just as ubiquitous

Yeah sounds like a similar story.

Although the Amen break story is interesting for how it seemingly spawned entire genres of music (according to that doc)

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah sounds like a similar story.

Although the Amen break story is interesting for how it seemingly spawned entire genres of music (according to that doc)

So did that, it's essentially the break that forms the major part of Fool's Gold and from Fool's Gold is spawned the whole Indie-dance thang, Madchester, Screamadelica, early Blur, the Soup Dragons, The Shamen, The Prodigy.... From that break the whole Indie Dance crossover of the late '80s /early '90s is spawned. Fool's Gold was the record that first crossed the Rubicon from Indie to dance and all those C86 style jangly guitar indie bands suddenly started making records with big beats and a druggy edge

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

So did that, it's essentially the break that forms the major part of Fool's Gold and from Fool's Gold is spawned the whole Indie-dance thang, Madchester, Screamadelica, early Blur, the Soup Dragons, The Shamen, The Prodigy.... From that break the whole Indie Dance crossover of the late '80s /early '90s is spawned. Fool's Gold was the record that first crossed the Rubicon from Indie to dance and all those C86 style jangly guitar indie bands suddenly started making records with big beats and a druggy edge

I find this stuff fascinating. Especially with the lack of credit/royalties stuff like this gets.

The Winstons are basically sampled on every drum and Bass/jungle song ever and never got a penny. And then companies start copyrighting the break themselves and getting paid for it. So weird.

• Like 1

Could have sworn I’d picked up this recommendation on here but as I can’t find it I thought I’d post it just in case. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000777d

Everybody In The Place. Jeremy Dellor explains to a class of 15 year old school kids, the history and of the race scene from a socio-political standpoint. No great depth to it but as someone who was slightly too young to appreciate it at the time, it was really interesting. 

A re-evaluation of acid house, a musical phenomenon that, as this film shows, did not spring out of nowhere, but owed its emergence to the social and political landscape of 1980s Britain.

Only on iPlayer for a week or so though. 

Edited by choffer
  • Like 1

4 part series about Punk music.

It's pretty good up until ep 4 that spends way to much time on Green Day while totally skipping much more important and influential bands.

Still, it's not bad.

It's on Epix, whatever that is.

But since it's punk, you know... 

Punk Poster

I think that + it being joe strummers birthday I finally started Chuck D's podcast series on the clash on spotify

3 episodes in and really enjoying it, its not really breaking new ground as I've read a few books and read Joe's autobiography (redemption song - excellent) and seen the future is unwritten (also excellent) but put together really well and its great hearing the stories I know told by the actual people, Chuck has a great voice and to be fair to him throws in a hip hop comparison probably no more than twice per episode (expect that to increase when they get to broadway) but they're interesting comparisons

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 21:47, choffer said:

Could have sworn I’d picked up this recommendation on here but as I can’t find it I thought I’d post it just in case. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000777d

Everybody In The Place. Jeremy Dellor explains to a class of 15 year old school kids, the history and of the race scene from a socio-political standpoint. No great depth to it but as someone who was slightly too young to appreciate it at the time, it was really interesting.  

Only on iPlayer for a week or so though. 

Watched this and its a great piece of British Social history from 1984 to 1982.

Only on iplayer until this coming Monday, 2nd Sept.

11 hours ago, imavillan said:

Watched this and its a great piece of British Social history from 1984 to 1982.

Only on iplayer until this coming Monday, 2nd Sept.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching Unmasking a Killer.

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/4cba2119-d046-4fe8-815f-e55c4e7158e9/golden-state-killer-unmasked

The true crime HLN Original Series "Unmasking A Killer" profiles the terrifying real-life story of the Golden State Killer, one of the nation's most prolific uncaught serial killers, who is responsible for a staggering 50 rapes and 12 murders in California. The case is over 40 years old.

Its a 7 part true life story on Sky Witness. 

It's typical of this type of American true crime documentary where each episode repeats itself a little but its worth the watch.

On 12/08/2019 at 22:05, sheepyvillian said:

Just finished " Unforgivable Blackness ". It's on You tube and is a Ken Burns doc about the first black heavyweight champion, Jack Johnson. 

It has to be one of the best docs I've seen. How racist America searched desperately for the great ,white, hope and how Jack just kept beating them up with a giant grin on his face. 

What a fine dresser ,this man was. Long before Chris Eubank paraded around in jodhpurs. 

Ken Burns is the best isn't he. His voice just resonates. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Just watched the Wu-Tang documentary "Of Mics and Men" - Was quite good. More so the early episodes when you find out how they all got together. It's a bit of a shame how self-destructive they were though. 

I loved Wu-Tang. GZA in particular. RZA was the guy who made it all happen for them really, wasn't he? I think there a few cousins among the group. I forget.

Self destructive in what sense? Ol' Dirty Bastard was the only one who was clearly in need of help as far as I could see. RZA and GZA are highly intelligent, same as inspectah deck.

The rest seemed to have faced the challenges so many African-American's do and were part of a culture of surviving tough times through desperation and lack of remorse.

Having not really paid them any mind or attention for some years I wouldn't be surprised if I misrepresent them to some degree, but curious for you to expand on their story.

• Like 1

Â