Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 12/09/2019 at 21:50, Xela said:

Social media is horrific. Allows people to say things they wouldn't dream of in 'real life'. You only have to look at the daily abuse Jack Grealish gets. 

Young women no doubt get it far worse. Its a toxic platform. 

You can't indulge in the platform of social media without some semblance of thick skin. I can imagine Grealish relishing the abuse and seeing it for what it is, sheer resentment from inadequate prats. 

These pop stars, they yearn for fame and then find themselves in a world of horror. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Documentary night with a couple of mates last night (nice excuse for copious bottles of red and pizza!)

We watched Mystify - The Michael Hutchence story and Hail Satan?

So, the INXS doc (BBC2) was good but clearly made by the Hutchence family so his latter (drug addled) years with Paula Yates were slightly watered down. The crux of the doc is his behaviour changed after getting decked by a taxi driver and smashing his head, causing some brain damage. He was clearly a very talented performer but don't think he could handle not being the bright young thing in music as it changed in the 90s. There was some great personal footage though, including a fair bit of a young Kylie ;) 

Hail Satan? (Netflix) was very interesting and not what I was expecting. Dumbing it down (and with tongue in cheek) it appeared to be the young disaffected 'woke' generation raised in strict American Christian families pushing back (whilst dressed for the best looking emo in the village contest). Strangely they did a lot in their communities and wanted recognition of their 'religion'. Certainly no sacrificing of lambs or virgins and even sacked one of their own for being too extreme (even for a Satanist!!!!) 

Both worth a watch

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

Just finished watching the two part Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle on BBC 4 Storyville. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000d27r/storyville-jonestown-terror-in-the-jungle-episode-1

If you aren’t aware of this story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

The brief synopsis is religious cult decamps to Guyana led by Jim Jones, their leader. It turns gradually into a nightmare, and leads to a US senator visiting to seeing what is happening. As he leaves he is murdered, and Jones then orders his following to commit suicide. 918, including 304 children die. Some ‘willingly’, but many forced. Its grim viewing. Has some parallels with the Waco documentary that was on Storyville last year.

• Like 2

Currently finishing up Ken Burn's latest. 10 episodes coming on close to 20hrs. Must see TV for people with any interest in how large political institutions work in democratic countries, and for those who think things are bad right now. Starts right back at pre-WW2 days all the way up to the US exit, with some compelling interviews with people from both sides of the conflict.

The Vietnam War.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, villakram said:

Currently finishing up Ken Burn's latest. 10 episodes coming on close to 20hrs. Must see TV for people with any interest in how large political institutions work in democratic countries, and for those who think things are bad right now. Starts right back at pre-WW2 days all the way up to the US exit, with some compelling interviews with people from both sides of the conflict.

The Vietnam War.

That one is great. 

There is another one called Indochine: A People's War in Colour that also is really interesting

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I went through all 3 episodes in one sitting.

Bucking fananas😮

Absolutely brilliant documentary. Well paced and if you don’t know the story too well (as I didn’t) the twists are breathtaking.

Lots of questions but don’t want to give away any spoilers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Absolutely brilliant documentary. Well paced and if you don’t know the story too well (as I didn’t) the twists are breathtaking.

Lots of questions but don’t want to give away any spoilers.

I'm a UF fan and was living in Florida for all of his Gator games. There's a lot of stuff he did in Gainesville that didn't make the documentary,  on top of all the bonkers stuff he did up North.

Even if you know nothing about the guy it's a must see for me.  

31 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Ive got it downloaded on my phone to watch on the flight on the way over for the watford game! Cant wait.

What sort of stuff did he get up too in FL  @Brumerican

He used to get in bar fights constantly rolling with the Pouncey Bros and was stoned off his head 24/7 .  His bisexuality was spoken about quietly even then .

Joe Haden was dealing bricks from his dorm. Tebow was buying booze for all his underage team mates. Percy Harvin and Spikes were naughty little bastards too.

The Swamp is apt.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2020 at 10:13, PauloBarnesi said:

Just finished watching the two part Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle on BBC 4 Storyville. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000d27r/storyville-jonestown-terror-in-the-jungle-episode-1

The brief synopsis is religious cult decamps to Guyana led by Jim Jones, their leader. It turns gradually into a nightmare, and leads to a US senator visiting to seeing what is happening. As he leaves he is murdered, and Jones then orders his following to commit suicide. 918, including 304 children die. Some ‘willingly’, but many forced. Its grim viewing. Has some parallels with the Waco documentary that was on Storyville last year.

This one was really interesting.

I've read about it a bit but not in this much detail. Utterly extraordinary story.

Also finished the BBC documentary on Qassem Suleimani, Shadow Commander: Iran's Military Mastermind. 

It's interesting, a bit short and therefor a bit good vs evil simplistic as it doesn't have time to delve deeper but still a good watch. 

With him now having been assassinated some of the comments are even more interesting.

Binged the Aaron Hernandez doc in one sitting.

I remember the story happening but didn't follow it closely at all so it was pretty much all brand new information to me. Absolutely crazy stuff.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 14:27, Brumerican said:

He used to get in bar fights constantly rolling with the Pouncey Bros and was stoned off his head 24/7 .  His bisexuality was spoken about quietly even then .

Joe Haden was dealing bricks from his dorm. Tebow was buying booze for all his underage team mates. Percy Harvin and Spikes were naughty little bastards too.

The Swamp is apt.

Just finished it.......Holy smokes!

• Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 09:13, PauloBarnesi said:

Finally got around to watching it all yesterday evening.

It’s a subject I’ve been interested in a long time, it was the People’s Temple and those barking mad sermon’s that got me in to the band Alabama 3 and all their theatrics and schtick.

Truly fascinating what people are willing to believe. Having watched it yesterday, I’ve noticed today that at the end of my nipper’s street there is a ‘Healing Church’ that was advertising it does healings twice a month.

Gives all the genuine guys a bad name. 

On 26/01/2020 at 21:17, chrisp65 said:

Finally got around to watching it all yesterday evening.

It’s a subject I’ve been interested in a long time, it was the People’s Temple and those barking mad sermon’s that got me in to the band Alabama 3 and all their theatrics and schtick.

Truly fascinating what people are willing to believe. Having watched it yesterday, I’ve noticed today that at the end of my nipper’s street there is a ‘Healing Church’ that was advertising it does healings twice a month.

Gives all the genuine guys a bad name. 

You mean there are genuine healers? Praise the Lord. 

• Like 1

Â