Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

5 minutes ago, El Zen said:

He’s a grown-ass man making a fortune in an emotion-driven, cynical entertainment business. This is why people don’t like him. 

I don't understand this comment at all.  People don't like him because he didn't enjoy not being wanted and constantly being told he would fail?

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Bielsa would be a good fit for Toon. The fans would love his football and he plays the type of football to get them out of a relegation battle. He would try and win every game and yes he would lose a lot but he would also win a quite a few. He would have 52k people cheering every touch of the ball and he would probably add a few good players in Jan. Southgate would bore the 52k crowd into depression with negative football trying not to lose games. He would have 5 at the back and 2 DMs and try and shut up shop and avoid losing games. it would be a slow and painful relegation.

He would have more money than he has at Leeds I suppose, but seems to me his transfer record at Leeds is really pretty poor. Raphinha is great, and Meslier is very good for his age, but who else has he signed, especially since they came up, who has been a big success?

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The job risks being a poisoned chalice in the short-term, given their wealth, the expectation and managing that mediocre squad. The fans will be very hostile to anything they perceive as not meeting their delusions. 

Sign a 5 year deal, get sacked within 12 months. MASSSIVE payoff, happy days. I bet Jose’s agent is all over this.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He would have more money than he has at Leeds I suppose, but seems to me his transfer record at Leeds is really pretty poor. Raphinha is great, and Meslier is very good for his age, but who else has he signed, especially since they came up, who has been a big success?

Well, the bar is fairly low at Newcastle. He could sign Davis from us as an upgrade on Joelinton. Seriously thought, I am sure he could pick up a couple of players that would play to his formation and pressing style for 25m/30m each that would improve Toon.I wouldn't rule out Kalvin Philips joining him at Newcastle if Bielsa went there. He would be a shrewd big money purchase

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sign a 5 year deal, get sacked within 12 months. MASSSIVE payoff, happy days. I bet Jose’s agent is all over this.

True. They have a ridiculous budget after all. It’s going to be a rollercoaster either way 

Bielsa is quite happy and settled in Leeds, I'm pretty sure it'll be his last job, until Ranieri arrived he was the oldest manager in the league.

It takes time for him to get a team playing his way and I think he'll retire at the end of the season - starting again won't be in his thoughts.

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Someone mentioned Sean Dyche. I think he would be perfect for them for 18 months to consolidate in the PL and then they can get their high profile manager. He would also help to get Tarkowski in Jan. 

Edit: The fans probably wouldn't see the sense in Dyche as manager and would think he is below them and would probably give him hell

Definitely agree dyche could be the short term option. He’d suit the players they have right now to get them out of it. Whether he’d want to risk his career on such a short term thinking is the question.

im not sure what the fans think should come into it at all. These are the people who’ve just attended games in mock Saudi clothes fashioned from bed sheets and tea towels after all!

I think Dyche would look at it and think (probably correctly) that for him it'd be a twelve month job at most, in which the best he could hope for was to keep them up and get a pat on the back before they replaced him with a bigger name. if and when he moves, he'll want a club he can make his own over a number of years, like he has with Burnley. 

I think he'd work quite well for Newcastle over the next seven or eight months, but I can't see him throwing away nine years of Burnley for it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, El Zen said:

People don’t like him because he keeps playing the victim and moaning about fans, taking it all far too personal. He’s been stealing a living as a manager, getting far more chances and being backed far more than his results merit. Yet he keeps making comments like that. It’s pathetic and petty. 

To quote a post on the Sunderland forum, “Rather than blame everyone else, he might consider if it stinks of shite everywhere he goes, maybe check your shoes Steve”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

True. They have a ridiculous budget after all. It’s going to be a rollercoaster either way 

Does this not depend on ffp though? Surely their budget won’t be very big for a few seasons at least?

30 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Does this not depend on ffp though? Surely their budget won’t be very big for a few seasons at least?

I don't really understand it but I read that as Ashley had run the club at a profit for several years they can spend a shitload if they wanted.  It's tough when they have no real footballing structure at the moment though.

Edit: apparently the Telegraph calculated £190m potential budget

Edited by sharkyvilla

Â