Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

If I were Newcastle I'd try and disrupt Southampton, get Hassenhuttl in, he isn't going to get any backing from them, after a good start there things have gone stale but I still rate him as a decent manager.  He should keep them up then try and raid Southampton, Burnley and Norwich by signing the likes of Ward-Prowse, Tarkowski and Aarons.  They need a manager and team to bridge the gap from where they are now to where their blood money will eventually get them.  That said I hope they go for some ridiculous name and it ends disastrously.

Edited by sharkyvilla

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Absolutely as a coach he'd be a disaster - they need to go out and find coaches and recruitment people who can get them out of the situation they're in.

But as a manager, they need a big face they can stick on the front of everything that gives the impression that this actually is a whopping great massive footballing colossus and shouldn't be judged as a struggling team.

Oh,  I completely agree. I was trying to do a bit of satire on Newcastle's haplessness, and manager selections. Find someone wholly inappropriate and unsuitable appoint him.

(mind you we can talk! - Alex McLeish, Steve Bruce, Remi Garde...)

• Like 1

I worry they might come after McGinn at some point and I worry that he might be tempted given how close-to-home it would be for him.

On the managerial front as others have said, it’s a crucial appointment, get it very wrong and they’re down which I’m sure would not have been planned for.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I worry they might come after McGinn at some point and I worry that he might be tempted given how close-to-home it would be for him.

On the managerial front as others have said, it’s a crucial appointment, get it very wrong and they’re down which I’m sure would not have been planned for.

Do you think they'll jump straight in and try and get a Conte or someone of that ilk?

I feel like that might be the risky thing to do as those big name guys haven't ever really faced a situation like Newcastle are in right now. A very short term Allardyce-like appointment (obviously not him because of his Newcastle history) to get them to 17th at the end of the season might be the way to go.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

got no problem with them coming in for mcginn personally, hopefully the rags go back to him being a £50m player too

id go all in on potter personally and see what his ceiling is, at the bare minimum he plays good football which will generate a buzz about the place, 2 years free hit see what the progression is and then go nuts

instead what i think they'll do is pull in a fancy foreign name and give him loads of cash to go buy big boy team fringe players overpay them and they wont to be there

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think he's a decent man. Agree with the rest though. He's to Newcastle what McLeish was to us. the owners wanted out, and the remit was to keep the club up and **** everything else.

Media, pundits and ex-pros seem to hold Bruce in high regard and as a nice guy. It’s pretty much across the board.

People who don’t are fans who have never met the guy. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Media, pundits and ex-pros seem to hold Bruce in high regard and as a nice guy. It’s pretty much across the board.

People who don’t are fans who have never met the guy. 

I am sure his tenant never met him either and probably thinks he is a piece of shit :P 

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There’s not much wrong with that, surely?

The fans have been vocal against Mike Ashley for a LONG time and he hasn’t really invested in the side much at all (cue people saying “but £40m for Joelinton!). Under Bruce, they finished 13th and 12th which probably is as well as could “realistically be expected” for the club.

By all accounts, Bruce is a well-liked individual and he does strike me as someone who would be a good football conversationalist over a pint or two.

Sure, it doesn’t mean he’s a good manager but he’s done pretty well at Newcastle given the circumstances. 

there is much wrong with though

"as well as could be realistically expected" is only when you view him on paper, if you watch him every week and thousands of pounds for the privelage you know that he scrapes points, home or away vs the top or the bottom of the league

8 games, no wins, 10 goals, averaging 42% possession, 3.5 shots on target per game and if they pull up the stats he will be bottom 3 for stuff like chances creating and attacking football

its dreadful depressing football and people dont want it, this best he can do stuff is nonsense, its not good enough to try not to lose every week, there is no excuse for his brand of football, none at all, not the owner, not the spending, theres no reason to be that negative every week no matter who you play

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There’s not much wrong with that, surely?

The fans have been vocal against Mike Ashley for a LONG time and he hasn’t really invested in the side much at all (cue people saying “but £40m for Joelinton!). Under Bruce, they finished 13th and 12th which probably is as well as could “realistically be expected” for the club.

By all accounts, Bruce is a well-liked individual and he does strike me as someone who would be a good football conversationalist over a pint or two.

Sure, it doesn’t mean he’s a good manager but he’s done pretty well at Newcastle given the circumstances. 

The difference in opinion between Rafa's performances for Newcastle and Bruce's despite very similar results and finishing positions and in truth pretty similar football being played is amazing.

I think Bruce has done exactly what he's capable of. Dull, boring but competent.

It's not good, it's not bad. It's just Bruce

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

there is much wrong with though

"as well as could be realistically expected" is only when you view him on paper, if you watch him every week and thousands of pounds for the privelage you know that he scrapes points, home or away vs the top or the bottom of the league

8 games, no wins, 10 goals, averaging 42% possession, 3.5 shots on target per game and if they pull up the stats he will be bottom 3 for stuff like chances creating and attacking football

its dreadful depressing football and people dont want it, this best he can do stuff is nonsense, its not good enough to try not to lose every week, there is no excuse for his brand of football, none at all, not the owner, not the spending, theres no reason to be that negative every week no matter who you play

Sure (although 10 goals is comfortably more than any other bottom half side apart from us :D) - but 13th and 12th is about as far as Newcastle were going to go under Ashley. It’s a nonsense to think otherwise.

Edit: FWIW, the odd Newcastle game that I caught they didn’t really seem that defensive. 

Edited by bobzy

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

They're going to have to be quite careful in who they appoint, if they aren't bold enough, then it will hurt the 'project'.

Right now there are a load of agents with very good players on their books who know that Newcastle are a risk. "It's going to take a while for them to be successful, so do I park my player at Southampton for a couple of seasons and wait and see, or do I somehow persuade him to go there for the wages and the money I can make right now?"

Those agents are looking for signs that Newcastle are the real deal, so that they will be able to point at some of the things they're doing and then sell the club to their player - the manager they put in place will be one of those things. 

At the moment, Newcastle are actually nothing more than a relegation threatened club in the very North of England who might have the potential to be a big club - the appointment of a manager like Eddie Howe for example, won't give them enough of a wow to convince players that the clubs is already what they will be in the future and not what they are now and might be for a couple of years yet.

Newcastle could do with appointing the biggest name they can find - as a statement of intent and a message to agents and players.

Zidane?

I would love it, just love it if big Sam got the job (again)

Edited by Follyfoot

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The difference in opinion between Rafa's performances for Newcastle and Bruce's despite very similar results and finishing positions and in truth pretty similar football being played is amazing.

Indeed - the power of a name, eh?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am sure his tenant never met him either and probably thinks he is a piece of shit :P 

This is old ground but really depends on how hands-on he is with the property stuff. I suspect he pays people to manage it all for him but it’s an easy stick with which to beat him.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

Â