Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Do you think they'll jump straight in and try and get a Conte or someone of that ilk?

I feel like that might be the risky thing to do as those big name guys haven't ever really faced a situation like Newcastle are in right now. A very short term Allardyce-like appointment (obviously not him because of his Newcastle history) to get them to 17th at the end of the season might be the way to go.

Someone mentioned Sean Dyche. I think he would be perfect for them for 18 months to consolidate in the PL and then they can get their high profile manager. He would also help to get Tarkowski in Jan. 

Edit: The fans probably wouldn't see the sense in Dyche as manager and would think he is below them and would probably give him hell

Edited by Peter Griffin

Just now, The_Steve said:

The job risks being a poisoned chalice in the short-term, given their wealth, the expectation and managing that mediocre squad. The fans will be very hostile to anything they perceive as not meeting their delusions. 

Massively disagree.  It's a free hit for a season and a half (depending on how much they invest in the squad).

There'll be basically no expectation this season and the new manager gets to shape a team to suit him (again, depending on how much they invest in the squad).  It's a pretty sweet deal.

Yeah I think the expectation this season will be to stay up.

It doesn't really matter where they finish as long as they remain in the league so they can spend their money

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Massively disagree.  It's a free hit for a season and a half (depending on how much they invest in the squad).

There'll be basically no expectation this season and the new manager gets to shape a team to suit him (again, depending on how much they invest in the squad).  It's a pretty sweet deal.

for a lower level manager i agree, free hit, splash some cash, 2 years hit your ceiling get the pay off

for the likes of brendan rodgers who they were linked with last week or conte etc i think its the opposite, let someone else do the growing pains first, a good manager isnt going to touch it yet until they've put at least some infrastructure in place

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

First expectation is to stay up. If Saint Maximin gets injured there's a very good chance they'll get relegated, they might anyway. Any big reputation manager will be steering very well clear and wait for them to stabilise in the PL.

Presuming Watford and Norwich go down; Brentford are going to stay up. I wouldn't bet against Dyche keeping Burnley up, Leeds are Leeds, Palace playing well with Eze to come back. Maybe Southampton.

Edited by pas5898
Removing spaces below

40 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

Good post. Ultimately, that's the point. The talk of Europe is either that - talk - or it's what they genuinely want and expect us to achieve. It's up to them, they own us. Our opinions are interesting and (largely) fun to discuss - surely the point of a forum like this - but we're all guessing, venting and spitballing - plus there seem to be some implicit Blasphemy Laws being created (on both sides of the debate) which get in the way.

It'll be interesting to see what moves Newcastle make now Bruce has gone, and I mention this as I strongly suspect whatever direction they take will inform the future direction of our own managerial debate e.g. if they go large for a Zidane profile manager we'll have fans who are cross we haven't done similar and shown more ambition, and if they go are modest and for a longer term growth / youth policy it'll underscore that maybe we are on the right track and being sensible. If they do both...hmmm.

The Newcastle thing is interesting because we obviously know they wont get the big players initially if they do decide to go that buy everything route, which I dont know how they can with FFP and how the elite clubs will fight that.  If they do go for the big players, the big players will most likely turn them down because they can get the same deal from the elite clubs anyway for example we already know Mbappe has his heart on Real Madrid.  So if newcastle go down the buying big, they will first have to buy second elite level players, hot prospects or fading stars.  The thing that has interested in the short time since the take over the feed has been dampened a lot....talks of Eddie Howe taking over and now the rumour is Fonseca who while building a reputation really doesnt wow me considering the excitement of the Newcastle takeover...I know Spurs wanted him but just seems an anti-climax.  There was also a lot of rumours that the transfer kitty for January would be smaller to start off with...more around the 50m rather than the 150m thought there would be.  This could be just downing the prices that are likely to come from selling clubs but is interesting.  Would seem they want to build something rather than buy the league and things may not move as quickly as Newcastle fans would like.  Also interesting to see what the PL does and how the elite teams block them if they do go on a spending spree.  I dont think Newcastle will be competing for Europe this season or next though for us to be worried about, there is too much to do there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

If I had my choice of manager for Toon I think I would pick Southgate. The perfect Win Win scenario

Actually, no. England might come after Dean Smith. 

Win win scenario is Bielsa. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, no. England might come after Dean Smith. 

Win win scenario is Bielsa. 

I think Bielsa would be a good fit for Toon. The fans would love his football and he plays the type of football to get them out of a relegation battle. He would try and win every game and yes he would lose a lot but he would also win a quite a few. He would have 52k people cheering every touch of the ball and he would probably add a few good players in Jan. Southgate would bore the 52k crowd into depression with negative football trying not to lose games. He would have 5 at the back and 2 DMs and try and shut up shop and avoid losing games. it would be a slow and painful relegation.

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Southgate would bore the 52k crowd into depression with negative football trying not to lose games. He would have 5 at the back and 2 DMs and try and shut up shop and avoid losing games. it would be a slow and painful relegation.

What’s not to like about that? 🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think Bielsa would be a good fit for Toon. The fans would love his football and he plays the type of football to get them out of a relegation battle. He would try and win every game and yes he would lose a lot but he would also win a quite a few. He would have 52k people cheering every touch of the ball and he would probably add a few good players in Jan. Southgate would bore the 52k crowd into depression with negative football trying not to lose games. He would have 5 at the back and 2 DMs and try and shut up shop and avoid losing games. it would be a slow and painful relegation.

Southgate doesn't like a No. 9

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Oh it’s definitely not going to be a free hit, if they get relegated there will be uproar. 

What I find funny is Bruce abs Benitez had exactly the same record at Newcastle and Bruce was probably had his hands tied behind his back more then Benitez, yet Benitez could do no wrong. Strange. 

Edited by Tommo_b

20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

What I find funny is Bruce abs Benitez had exactly the same record at Newcastle and Bruce was probably had his hands tied behind his back more then Benitez, yet Benitez could do no wrong. Strange. 

Benitez got them promoted and stuck by them when they went down when relegation wasnt really his fault as he came in late in the season.

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

😯

He’s a grown-ass man making a fortune in an emotion-driven, cynical entertainment business. This is why people don’t like him. 

Â