Christian Benteke

Kwan

Some people are saying that if Benteke does leave then they hope he goes abroad so he can't score against us. In reality, if he leaves to join a club in the premier league, then he would likely join a team that regularly beats us anyway? He would have the opportunity, in his 36 other games, to score against our rivals.... Which could only be a good thing imo.

For me it's Chelsea or Man City.

I have no emotions for or against those clubs or their fans.

Always loathed Man U and Arsenal, Liverpool fans are (along with Barcelona) the the worst i know and Spurs are just annoying

• Like 1

For me it's Chelsea or Man City.

I have no emotions for or against those clubs or their fans.

Always loathed Man U and Arsenal, Liverpool fans are (along with Barcelona) the the worst i know and Spurs are just annoying

Agree but I don't mind Arsenal as much. I just hope he goes abroad.

Id rather sell him for 25m to Dortmund/Athletico etc than £40m to Liverpool or Man Utd. We couldn't replace him either way, I just don't want to see him scoring against us.

Man City - unlikely they bought Boney as a back-up striker. (10%)

Liverpool - Balotelli is a fail so they may well be in for him but a non-champions league club splash that kind of money? (20%)

Arsenal - possibility but may not be perceived to be good enough on the floor for them (a wrong perception i might add). (30% chance)

Man Utd - another possible depends if Van Gaal likes him or not, would love Ashley's crosses that's for sure and their strikers aren't great/injury prone.(30% chance)

Chelsea - very possible he's better than any of their back-up strikers and would fit the Mourinho mould. (60%)

PSG - another very possible with Ibrahimovic leaving , they need a replacement striker. And France is next to Belgium (50%)

Atletico - they need a striker too, Mandzukic is just not that great. As per Liverpool cost maybe an issue. (10%)

Real Madrid - if Chicharito is good enough for them then Benteke most certainly is. If Chicharito goes they could come in for Benteke as back up. I don't see it mind (5%) 

**Percentages based on where he would go if he were to leave.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Real might be a mistake for him as he wouldn't be a regular in the team. 

There was a similar Guardian article yesterday that came up with a 460% chance of Raheem Sterling playing football somewhere next season:

Liverpool (60%)

Man City (70%)

Man Utd (30%)

Chelsea (60%)

Arsenal (50%)

Bayern Munich (40%)

PSG (70%)

Barcelona (10%)

Real Madrid (30%)

Inter (10%)

Milan (10%)

Juventus (20%)

Absolute gibberish.

Brilliant - it's a form of logic way beyond the likes of me.

Going to a club like Spurs or Liverpool would be silly for Benteke and here's why. If he wants to win the league, he won't. If he wants to play in the Champions League regularly, he won't....

The bigger concern is then where does he go next? If he went to either of those clubs for the price we want then the market for his services becomes minute because the fee would be astronomical and Spurs/Liverpool would be reluctant to sell to anyone else in England. Imagine if we sell him for £30 million, his next club would want at least £40 million and that doesn't happen very often.

It's not that Benteke is too good for those teams because we think they are shit. It's that they are the next level up from us whilst Benteke should be considering going 2 levels up to consistent champions league and title challenging teams, even if he has to assume the role as a rotational squad member.

Going to Liverpool or Spurs is selling himself short IMO.

Honestly, this is nonsense.

I know "we don't like" Liverpool, but they harbour incredibly realistic aspirations of qualifying for the Champions League in general.  Further, they actually do have the ability to challenge for a title.  I know, I know - not a popular opinion here nor one that people seem to accept.  They finished **** 2nd last season (2 points off top!) and if not for Gerrard's slip may well have won the league.  This season they're 5th, 4 points off CL football despite having lost Luis Suarez and also having had Daniel Sturridge injured for the majority of the season.  You add Benteke and a fit Sturridge to their side this season and they're easily, easily top 4.

I know we've had league victories over them and recently beaten them in the F.A. Cup semi-final, but it's ludicrous thinking they're only a small step up from us.  Hopefully Benteke stays at Villa forever.  He's a very good striker.  Just don't be surprised if, should he move, he goes to a team like Liverpool.

Just want to say

LIVERPOOL CAN F**K **F

• Like 1

Is it just me that finds it suspicious that the London press seem to be selling our star striker to all and sundry in the lead up to our biggest game for years against one of their darling teams? A few weeks ago, no interest whatsoever, now we're all distracted talking about where Benteke is heading to this summer, when it is perfectly feasable that he signs a contract extension and we get another season out of him. All we need to do is beat Arsenal, pop the champagne, once he has had a few slip new contract under his nose and say sign here Christian. Simple.

These stories would've happened whether we were in the final or not.

I agree the stories would have come anyway I just do t think they'd have come yet, the exciting stuff for this season is done so they have to keep the top 4 and Liverpool in the press so they start making stories up to fill the column inches, if the title race was still going, or the race for 4th or even Liverpool v arsenal in the final then it would be quieter

Liverpool ?

They are as far behind winning the League as we are behind them, and their jump would be a lot harder to make than ours.

I can understand their fans living in the past but why on earth would that interest Benteke ?

He will have his pick if he continues to develop but for now anyone just off the top 2 here and abroad.

And that most certainly is nowhere near Liverpool.

As regards him leaving, I'll never forget us selling Andy Gray and thinking the end of the world was nigh.

And we got Peter Withe.

I know there's a fair few the other way too but it can work out OK.

Edited by terrytini

Liverpool are years ahead of us when it comes to pushing for the top-four. I mean they were crap for about two-thirds of this season and still came close. I agree with the sentiment that Benteke can do better but they would still represent a progressive career move nonetheless.

Liverpool ?

They are as far behind winning the League as we are behind them, and their jump would be a lot harder to make than ours.

I can understand their fans living in the past but why on earth would that interest Benteke ?

He will have his pick if he continues to develop but for now anyone just off the top 2 here and abroad.

As regards him leaving, I'll never forget us selling Andy Gray and thinking the end of the world was nigh.

And we got Peter Withe.

Well we did have Geddis first and had to wait a year for Withe. If it happened now I can imagine the outcry about signing a former Blues player. 

Liverpool ?

And we got Peter Withe.

Well we did have Geddis first and had to wait a year for Withe. If it happened now I can imagine the outcry about signing a former Blues player.

I wasn't too happy about it at the time. Especially when he didn't score in his first nine games. The rest is history.
  • Like 2

Â