Christian Benteke

Kwan

Playing devils advocate, you can improve when you sell your best player for a lot of money. 

Spurs and Liverpool say Hello :wave:

but that aside I agree with the sentiment

Playing devils advocate, you can improve when you sell your best player for a lot of money. 

Also, improvements don't happen in one season. Spurs and Liverpool may well become better having sold their best player but it will take time.

However, lets not sell Benteke please, i'd miss him.  :(

Edited by sexbelowsound

Agree with the above. We should be offering him £100k a week not nudging him out the door.

Where on earth are we going to get that sort of cash? You have to be realistic that isnt going to happen

It's £5m a year. Plus a couple of hundred grand spare change.

My post is quite clear in adding that I think that's what we SHOULD do.

I thought I'd addressed the Liverpool & Spurs issue in the bit of my post you've decided not to quote.    With Suarez & Bale it's slightly different because they were the guys that were turning those teams from Europa league teams into Champions League teams and at that point you've got a squad full of very good players which is difficult to improve unless you start adding genuinely special players.    We don't have a squad where it's difficult to improve on the 10 players who aren't Benteke, there is plenty of room for improvement across the squad and that's where the money can prove to be useful.  I'd compare us more to the Spurs squad who had to sell Carrick, Berbatov and Modric.  Every time they sold their best player for a lot of money the doom merchants were out but they continued to improve as a squad.  If we want to move away from a team who struggle to get 40 points a season and become a team who are getting 50+ points and flirting with Europe then cashing in on Benteke might be a thing which facilitates that.  

Benteke is clearly a brilliant player and I'll be sad to see him go but we should get a lot of money for him. If we can get the kind of fee that Lukaku and Bony have moved for in the past year or so (I certainly wouldn't accept anything less) and that money is used to get rid of some of the other weak links in our squad then selling isn't necessarily a disaster.  It's all about what we do with that fee though. 

I hate to agree but you're right.  Inorder to progress up the table you have to sell your biggest asset in the hope to strengthen the team and push on.  Thats the nature of this FFP now.  Dont start me on that

New TV deal should help pay for a better contract for Benteke. Not too much but surely a little bit from the upcoming 99m can be spent on contracts? And Id hope we get more than 99m as that goes to the bottom team. 

Heres a bit from a BBC article.

What does this deal mean for Premier League clubs?

It is great news. This incredible sum of money means the club that finishes bottom of the Premier League in the 2016-17 season will pocket £99m.

The champions will earn more than £150m in prize money and that is before additional fees are paid to clubs who stage more TV matches than others.

In the past, there have been increased TV deals spent on better players, bigger transfer fees and higher wages. That is likely to happen again, at least to some extent, and may even help England's best clubs bridge the gap to the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona in the Champions League.

It also means that all 20 Premier League clubs could break into the top 30 richest clubs in the world - currently they all occupy a place in the top 40. Burnley are richer than Ajax.

Edited by isaid

So do Southampton. So do Villa when Platt left. It is more than do able, although it's hard.

Finally get our star player firing on all cylinders and we are all now trying to flog him! 

I think Benteke owes us another season. 

• Like 2

I've never seen him so emotional and passionate.

Not just that celebrating with the crowd, but watching the highlights, he goes absolutely bananas after he scores. More than I've ever seen him celebrate before.

Great to see. Shows it wasn't just another game for the players.

• Like 1

I've never seen him so emotional and passionate.

Not just that celebrating with the crowd, but watching the highlights, he goes absolutely bananas after he scores. More than I've ever seen him celebrate before.

Great to see. Shows it wasn't just another game for the players.

Delph's face was priceless when Benteke jumped on him, I don't even think he knew what he was doing, just went mental like we all would've done.

• Like 1

Agree with the above. We should be offering him £100k a week not nudging him out the door.

Where on earth are we going to get that sort of cash? You have to be realistic that isnt going to happen

Bent's contract is up, There you go. 

Was just thinking this with Bent's contract up we would be assuming CB on 60k & DB on 80k save 40k a week in the process. 

We could easily offer him 150K a week and it would still make sense. The new TV money is coming in and there is 2-3 million extra, at least, per place in the PL. So his goals will be worth his salary anyway. + the profile he gives us will increase our overall value. He must not be sold. And if we have to pay 200K do it. The only way to make more money is to spend it. 

As stated above, a good chunk of Bent's wage should go towards a contract extension for Benteke. We should be looking for another year at least from him, as that will leave him with 2 seasons left after next summers Euro's where I expect Benteke and Belgium to be hot property. Then we can command a massive fee for the lad if he decides to move on (I hope he doesn't, but accept that he will probably end up at one of the CL clubs in the next few years).

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

The situation with CB is not uncommon for clubs in our position.....

His worth to us is much more than his potential worth to other clubs; he is part of our system that we know he fits into - for other clubs he is a purchase risk.

So, we hold out for the value we want - see £28m for Bony. I think we should be looking at £30m+.

With that £30m, we need to do something that Liverpool and Spurs failed to do...sign a replacement. If that takes up £20m of that money, so be it. If it takes up all of it, you question why we are making the sale at that value. We then use the rest of the cash to 'solve' another problem area - and hence, purchase risks aside, the club is stronger.

Liverpool and Spurs tried to sign 8 players to replace 1 - that doesn't work when you are already Champions League level.

£25m.........double it at least.

Let's not get silly. 25-30m would be fair as it stands.

Not really. Lukaku and Bony went for that. There's no way they're on his level, even in better sides they look worse players.

They both looked better players before this run of form for Benteke. Bony was as good for Swansea as Benteke has been for us IMO.

It's ok saying other players that aren't playing as well went for the same fee, but at the same time there are players who have played better for longer periods who were bought for much less.

There's no point putting obscene value on players because your only going to be disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Can't agree at all Benteke in his first season (and current form) is far better than Bony was in his 18 months at Swansea. Lukaku is just a massively overrated player, he might have a decent goal tally some seasons, but his overall play is pretty non-existent for the most part.

Â