Christian Benteke

Kwan

I have thought about the prospect of Benteke leaving and am pragmatic about it. If he wants to go THEN we have a price and he will go with my blessing. I simply do not think we should actively look to sell.

If you ever actively look to sell you get a terrible price. Nobody actively looks to sell their best players unless they are in Leeds like financial trouble. 

We should be reluctant sellers, but sellers are the right price.

I'd love for to Benteke to stay, and I think he will, but if he doesn't i'm confident Adebayor would end up here and Sherwood would get the best out of him again.

Adebayor would score as many goals as Benteke has this season, but over his entire 5 year £120k contract.

That's a bit harsh!  :)  I think he'd have to accept he'd never have another contract like that again (Don't Man City still pay most of his Spurs wages?). I think if motivated, and that is the key, he could be good for us. Sherwood got him playing well last year.  

Still much rather have Benteke though

A little harsh, and a little tongue in cheek. I accept Sherwood did get him scoring again but realistically speaking there are a number of factors at play.

1) Transfer fee. Unless we got him on a free no way would we match what Spurs ask for him, especially with Randolph still here

2) Wages. He will obviously have to take a pay cut wherever he goes but equally he'll have one eye on retirement. A move abroad somewhere like the US or Russia makes more sense than a club that could very well still be battling relegation next year.

3) Form. No guarantee Sherwood would even still be here for the duration of his contract, in which case we're left with a star striker that can go off the boil for seasons at a time and no-one capable of motivating him.

4) Resale. We've literally JUST managed to offload Darren Bent (and even that's not 100%) after what can charitably be described as a period of misguided transfer decisions. Replacing him with Abedbayor to me at least doesn't exactly show that lessons have been learnt.

• Like 1

I have thought about the prospect of Benteke leaving and am pragmatic about it. If he wants to go THEN we have a price and he will go with my blessing. I simply do not think we should actively look to sell.

If you ever actively look to sell you get a terrible price. Nobody actively looks to sell their best players unless they are in Leeds like financial trouble.

We should be reluctant sellers, but sellers are the right price.

So how do you suggest we "cash in on him"?

Are you suggesting that we do not actively try to keep him another year and if we receive a bid over £30m we give him a gentle nudge? Because to me that is as good as actively trying to sell. It's not as black and white as putting an advert on Craigslist.

I'm pretty sure I've explained this very well in more than one post. But lets just say it one last time in bullet points.

-We should not actively try to sell him. 

-We should know that he will be in high demand.

-We should plan for the scenario of an offer coming in from a club he wants to join.

-We should know what offer we would accept in that scenario. 

-We should plan for such an even by scouting potential replacements now.

-We should accept that he will almost certainly not sign a new contract with Villa even if he stays. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I've explained this very well in more than one post. But lets just say it one last time in bullet points.

-We should not actively try to sell him. 

-We should know that he will be in high demand.

-We should plan for the scenario of an offer coming in from a club he wants to join.

-We should know what offer we would accept in that scenario. 

-We should plan for such an even by scouting potential replacements now.

-We should accept that he will almost certainly not sign a new contract with Villa even if he stays. 

Agree with the above.

The only problem I see is if the club offer him a new deal and he stalls - Then his sale value slowly starts ticking down ......

He certainly looks super motivated at the moment - so maybe he will sign an extension...

I still think Benteke is worth £20 million plus even with a year left on his deal so this Summer might not be when we have to sell. Saying that though there is obviously more risk of him walking on a free but I just don't see him doing that......

Offer him a massive deal this Summer!

• Like 1

Agree with the above. We should be offering him £100k a week not nudging him out the door.

We can't really have one player earning £100K a week when every other player is on £60K per week or less. We also can't afford to pay players that kind of money when we don't have a oil rich owner and have an average attendance of around 32K.

5,000 Posts!!! :clap:

Edited by villa89

Obviously money is important, but i think the manager, tactics, teammates and belief in that the club is moving forward is as important or even more so if we are to convince Benteke to stay.

Don't think he'd had been willing to stay if we had continued to play like we did under Lambert, regardless of how much money we offered him.

Now there is a chance we can keep him

Agree with the above. We should be offering him £100k a week not nudging him out the door.

We can't really have one player earning £100K a week when every other player is on £60K per week or less. We also can't afford to pay players that kind of money when we don't have a oil rich owner and have an average attendance of around 32K.

We bloody well can when he is at least 40k a week better than the other players.  ;)

Edited by sexbelowsound

At some point we will have to try to hold on to the likes of Benteke, Delph and Grealish, if we are not to remain perennial mid-table nonentities, patronised by media and other clubs.

The difficulty of that is making players buy into the idea that we are a big club because we certainly haven't bee acting like one for a long time.

We really need Lerner to go and for new owners with fresh ideas and passion for the club to come in ASAP.

Playing devils advocate, you can improve when you sell your best player for a lot of money.   Best example I can think of is when we sold Andy Gray (who had recently won PFA player of the year and young player of the year in the same season) for a British record fee to Wolves, used the money to buy Peter Withe, Des Bremner and Tony Morley and went on to win the league and the European Cup.  

Obviously I don't ever expect such a leap these days because the closer to the top you get the more you rely on star players (look at Liverpool) but even Spurs who can be used as an example of not selling your best player are probably better off overall on cashing in when the offer was the right one. They money they got for Carrick, Berbatov and Modric was spent wisely and they were a better team after.  There is no reason why we can't do the same with Benteke if we get a massive offer in for him.   He's going to want to leave at some point anyway because a player of his ability should try their luck in the Champions League and maybe we have already had our "just one more season" out of him when he signed that contract extension under Lambert.  

• Like 1

1. Of course you can. That's how football works, some players are worth more than others.

2. £100k a week is the new £60k a week. If there is one player in this squad worth that, or any player over the past 15 years worth it, it's Benteke.

3. Attendance is small fry in terms of a clubs income. Regardless as had been proven time and time again, when this or any club starts to show ambition again the crowds will return.

Edit - I'm not suggesting that this is what they will do, only what they should do.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

With the new tv money and bent of the boocks we can afford to give him 150K a week for 3 extra years (making it 5 in all). And we should. That will send a strong signal that we are not a selling club and Benkete can still make a dream move to Real when he is 27. 

If he wont sign, then let the contract run down, we can replace him anyway. Don't let him go for 35 mill, it will get us on the road to nowhere........ 

I think there are people on this board who want to sell Benteke because they think we'll get £35+ million for him. Money doesn't score goals, Benteke does. I'd rather have Benteke. If we have to sell him I hope we get lots of cash for him, but if we don't have to sell him - I mean him going on strike post transfer request turned down, I think we should keep him. He seems so happy here, and losing him would kill the team morale. He's Mr Aston Villa at the moment. He boosts the performance of all around him because they know that if they do their part, up the top of the pitch is a player who can put it in the back of the net. He personifies everything that's good about the team, and you know who ever comes in next won't be even close to him. We have the most in form striker in Europe playing for us at the moment, and that has never happened during my entire time watching Villa. I don't think anyone should compare having him play for us next season to having £35 million to spend on a replacement plus some midfielders and defenders. 

Well, of course, ideal world is that he stays - but do you lose Benteke for, say, £35m or have him run down his contract and leave on a free?

Let it run down. That is 17,5 mill a year and at lest 4-5 places higher in the league - almost pays for himself. 

Where on earth are we going to get that sort of cash? You have to be realistic that isnt going to happen

Bent's contract is up, There you go.

Good shout.

Â