Christian Benteke

Kwan

Man City considered having Gareth Barry for one season to be worth £12 million. They could have gotten him on a free at the end of the following season, but thought he was worth that £12 million to get him for that year. Good players cost their wages and their reduction in value over the course of their contract all the way down to zero on the day the contract runs out. That is the price of having a player play for your team now since the bosman rule. Yes if he left on a free we would have no money to replace him with, but over the previous two years, who know what sort of a club we may have become. Who knows what permanent increase in club value might have accrued by having him in the side. Well look at it this way, let's say we sold Benteke and bought a player exactly as good as Benteke for £40 million, basically we bought Benteke again, but he was on a three year contract. Everyone in here would go absolutely crazy excited. We're back in the big time etc. Now this Benteke2 may not even fit into our system, and has to get to know his new team and new manager, yet everyone on here would be delighted with the business that had been done.

Or even if West Ham signed Benteke tomorrow for £35 million on a three year contract. There would be very few people in their ranks saying, oh we should have used that money on two midfielders and a defender. Yesterday we outplayed and out thought a Liverpool team still in the running for fourth place in an FA Cup semi final. Let us enjoy being what looks like a good team at the moment, with a talented young manager who seems to know what he's doing. There is value to us the fans in having a good player play for us, can we not enjoy that, rather than worrying about what happens in two years when we've apparently no money to spend on a replacement? There will be money then, like there was when we bought Benteke and Kozak and Sanchez etc. We're not using the Milner money still.

Edited by YLN

Yillan, you still seem to think that people WANT to sell him.

I really don't think that's the case. People are just pointing out that this summer is probably when we'd get the most money for him if we did sell him, and that if you're looking at it from a financial point of view, which the club very well may be, that may look like the best course of action.

I don't think there's many, if any, fans who would rather us sell Benteke than keep him beyond this summer.

Yillan, you still seem to think that people WANT to sell him.

I really don't think that's the case. People are just pointing out that this summer is probably when we'd get the most money for him if we did sell him, and that if you're looking at it from a financial point of view, which the club very well may be, that may look like the best course of action.

I don't think there's many, if any, fans who would rather us sell Benteke than keep him beyond this summer.

I think there are fans who want to sell him because they think that it's the best course of action financially. And I think there are fans that want to sell him because they think it is the best course of action, because we would be a better team with the cash and subsequent new signings versus having him in the team.

I don't want to sell him, and I don't think it's the best course of action financially either. I think it would be baby out with the bathwater if we did. Yes worst case scenario, we finish tenth for the next two seasons and then we lose him on a free to Man Utd, but at least we gave it a shot. 

Yes in terms of when we would get the most money for him in transfer fees, this summer would be the best time to sell him, and if that's all that people are saying then I've misunderstood, but I disagree with anyone who says that we should sell him this summer because the transfer fee we get for him is worth more to us, both financially and footballingly (in the interest of the enjoyment of watching Villa play football), than keeping him for the two seasons and letting his contract run down, all the while trying to convince him to sign another one. 

Edited by YLN

Even financially, with the way Sherwood has us playing, he'd probably hit 25-30 goals for us next season, maybe more if we're in Europe. In that situation I don't see his value dropping from what it might be this summer, there would be plenty of clubs after him and probably bigger fish with deeper pockets than would be in for him this summer. We'll also always be a better team when he plays so there are financial benefits to that too. 

Go on Christian, one more season. 

Fans do not want to sell him, however the bigger picture is Benteke is too good to be in a team that scraps relegation every season. That may change next season but it's a big if, he has put himself in the shop window and the one thing is he will only be sold if the deal suits Aston Villa.

I'd happily keep him for another year if it meant we only got say £20m in a years time with a year left on his contract. It's a gamble but he's easily worth £15m to us for one season. At that point the club may be a different proposition altogether, if not then I'd probably bite at that point unless he was willing to sign on again for other reasons.

I understand where Yillan is coming from and wholeheartedly endorse it.

I think he will give us one more year. I'm not entirely sure why, it's just a feeling I get from him. If not, que sera, but I am not resigned to him going. Given the choice, keep the £35m and we will keep our world class striker.

Aston Villa are big news right about now. The money men may well be watching.

I'm hoping we don't have to worry about this come the Summer, Imagine this:

1) We win the FA Cup and survive in the league.

2) Randolph sells up to someone who gives a shit and makes their intentions clear that they want to return Villa to its former glories.

3) Benteke signs a new 5 year deal on big money and pledges his immediate future to us.

Either way its going to be an interesting Summer. Benteke likes being the main man I think and he won't be at a top club with rotation policies and I also think he is too good for teams outside the top 4 like Spurs, Liverpool or other European clubs of similar ilk. 

He is worth 40m easy what a beast

No, he just isn't.

10 games ago, he was an utter disgrace. You don't suddenly become worth over 40m after a few games. Madness. A true 40m player would do it all season, every season. Aguero is a 40m player.

Augero 40 million?! Are u joking. At least 60 million

The problem we have with the lack of money we have had to spend it's hard to pick up gems. If we had signed some of the players we'd wanted such as Clyne and Cresswell we'd start getting a reputation for building talent again. The Milner, Downing, Barry and Young money should have gone on the next generation. Porto, Dortmund and Atletico have built great teams from reinvestment. Spurs **** up their chance but they are minted anyway.

Benteke was hardly an unknown to scouts just judged a gamble and we took it as we had £7 mill. whatever he might be worth now we were able to get him at that price then and plenty of strikers who we'd love to have Falcao, Jackson Martinez, Lewandoswki, Bony, Manzukic have gone for similar prices at points in their career. There will be a point when we hVe to move on from Benteke (hopefully at 35 when he's won everything with us) and we will have to scout well and perhaps take a punt.

The development of Delph, Benteke, Grealish, Okore (hopefully) Baker, Clark, Westwood should be an indication of what we can do for a player before moving on to greener grass.

I'd love us to sign Bamford if we have to let Benteke go.

Why do people worry about Benteke running his contract down?

Its not our money-We don't have to worry about it.

Whats the point of having £50million when you will spend half of it on an inferior version of Benteke and the other half on a couple of mid-table type premiership players.

I'll be amazed if we are able to keep hold of Benteke in the summer but in an ideal world, I'd prefer to keep hold of him for the next 2 seasons and let him walk at the end of it (unless I was to receive a million of the sale fee, personally of course)

In the short time I have seen Benteke play he is for me the best forward I have seen in a Villa shirt. The 1st CF I recall was Andy Lochead but throw in Andy Gray, Peter Withe, Brian Little, Gary Shaw, David Platt, Dwight York, Dean Saunders etc and you then realise that I hold him very highly as all of those mentioned were top class players.

I'm dreading losing him because he's the type of player we could build a team around. In fact with Delph, Grealish, Clark, Guzan we already have the makings of a good team. If Sherwood were able to keep Cleverley and maybe Sinclair plus add to the squad without losing any of the players I've mentioned then we will not be struggling in the lower half of this league again.

Problem is I doubt if this will be enough to convince him to stay as I assume he want's CL football ASAP.

I said before 25m upwards to 50m but let's get greedy here 60m plus 25% of any future profit.

Yes I go along with that. I would say Andy Gray was better in the air although he wasn't even 6 ft, but allround Benteke has the lot. 

Big calls! I can't remember Gray,Little, Shaw or Withe (unfortunately) but Yorke is always the benchmark I hold Villa strikers against. Benteke has the ability to be better but at the moment I still think Yorke performed to a consistently higher standard in a Villa shirt.I think sometimes people forget how good he was due to the manner of his departure. 

Can't compare Platt as he was a midfielder (what a player though!)

I'd love for to Benteke to stay, and I think he will, but if he doesn't i'm confident Adebayor would end up here and Sherwood would get the best out of him again. 

We're not using the Milner money still.

That was spent years ago plugging the massive losses we were making

We didn't make any money on Milner. In reality we only broke even when you take into account the fee and wages for Ireland. 

In the short time I have seen Benteke play he is for me the best forward I have seen in a Villa shirt. The 1st CF I recall was Andy Lochead but throw in Andy Gray, Peter Withe, Brian Little, Gary Shaw, David Platt, Dwight York, Dean Saunders etc and you then realise that I hold him very highly as all of those mentioned were top class players.

I'm dreading losing him because he's the type of player we could build a team around. In fact with Delph, Grealish, Clark, Guzan we already have the makings of a good team. If Sherwood were able to keep Cleverley and maybe Sinclair plus add to the squad without losing any of the players I've mentioned then we will not be struggling in the lower half of this league again.

Problem is I doubt if this will be enough to convince him to stay as I assume he want's CL football ASAP.

I said before 25m upwards to 50m but let's get greedy here 60m plus 25% of any future profit.

Yes I go along with that. I would say Andy Gray was better in the air although he wasn't even 6 ft, but allround Benteke has the lot. 

Big calls! I can't remember Gray,Little, Shaw or Withe (unfortunately) but Yorke is always the benchmark I hold Villa strikers against. Benteke has the ability to be better but at the moment I still think Yorke performed to a consistently higher standard in a Villa shirt.I think sometimes people forget how good he was due to the manner of his departure. 

Can't compare Platt as he was a midfielder (what a player though!)

Dean Saunders is up there too. 

I'd love for to Benteke to stay, and I think he will, but if he doesn't i'm confident Adebayor would end up here and Sherwood would get the best out of him again.

Adebayor would score as many goals as Benteke has this season, but over his entire 5 year £120k contract.

Â