Christian Benteke

Kwan

We've only just sorted ourselves out because we made other awful decisions trying to fix it.

We couldn't sustain the 6th highest wage bill and finishing 6th, so getting in the money to compete was also an issue, hence saying there were other issues.

No one wants the club to get to a point that it can't financially afford to be, but if we're not prepared to pay a few players top money we'll be an average team for a long time.

We've only just sorted ourselves out because we made other awful decisions trying to fix it.

We couldn't sustain the 6th highest wage bill and finishing 6th, so getting in the money to compete was also an issue, hence saying there were other issues.

No one wants the club to get to a point that it can't financially afford to be, but if we're not prepared to pay a few players top money we'll be an average team for a long time.

I actually don't think other awful decisions trying to fix it (unless you're implying managerial choices) were made.  We simply had to cut costs.  I think at one point our wages were 92% of our turnover.  Unbelievably stupid.  If we couldn't sustain the 6th highest wage bill then we shouldn't have been providing the 6th highest wage bill.

On the same track, if we couldn't sustain offering Benteke £100k/wk and Delph, Grealish, whoever largely improved contracts then I wouldn't want it to happen.

The likelihood is that we are going to be an average team for a long time.  In fact, we already have been an average team for a long time!

We have a much higher turnover (7th highest) compared to the previous season (12/13) which is very promising. I wonder how much that increased now this year with Fox in charge.

ETA:

59% wage to turnover ratio, down from 86%(!!!) the previous season, and only losing 3.9M compared to 51.8M. So yeah, things were definitely not sustainable, but now we have a platform to build off of, rather than a slippery slope.

Edited by Keyblade

We have a much higher turnover (7th highest) compared to the previous season (12/13) which is very promising. I wonder how much that increased now this year with Fox in charge.

We have the 9th highest turnover?  Apparently last year it was the 8th highest, so people have caught us up, I guess.  Every single club listed has a much higher turnover - I'd assume TV monies.  Especially, see Hull and Crystal Palace.

We've sorted ourselves out down to 59% wages to turnover and still made a loss :D  (Edit:  obviously, much improved from the previous year - and much needed).

Edited by bobzy

Ah yeah, definitely 9th. Missed Newcastle and Everton. Financially we are definitely in their bracket, but we seem to be perenially hanging around the Burnleys and Leicesters of this world smh.

Newcastle are only 3 points above us?  And Everton were languishing all season.  Money will only get you so far, anyhow.  The gulf between those top 6 and the rest is fairly staggering.

Well done FFP.

Point taken, but for the past few years they have both been more or less in the top ~8 (Everton finished 5th just last season) whereas we've been in the bottom 5 in each of the last 4 (and looking like 5) seasons.

Point taken, but for the past few years they have both been more or less in the top ~8 (Everton finished 5th just last season) whereas we've been in the bottom 5 in each of the last 4 (and looking like 5) seasons.

Newcastle have not been "more or less in the top 8" depending on what you mean by "~"?

In the short time I have seen Benteke play he is for me the best forward I have seen in a Villa shirt. The 1st CF I recall was Andy Lochead but throw in Andy Gray, Peter Withe, Brian Little, Gary Shaw, David Platt, Dwight York, Dean Saunders etc and you then realise that I hold him very highly as all of those mentioned were top class players.

I'm dreading losing him because he's the type of player we could build a team around. In fact with Delph, Grealish, Clark, Guzan we already have the makings of a good team. If Sherwood were able to keep Cleverley and maybe Sinclair plus add to the squad without losing any of the players I've mentioned then we will not be struggling in the lower half of this league again.

Problem is I doubt if this will be enough to convince him to stay as I assume he want's CL football ASAP.

I said before 25m upwards to 50m but let's get greedy here 60m plus 25% of any future profit.

Yes I go along with that. I would say Andy Gray was better in the air although he wasn't even 6 ft, but allround Benteke has the lot.

Big calls! I can't remember Gray,Little, Shaw or Withe (unfortunately) but Yorke is always the benchmark I hold Villa strikers against. Benteke has the ability to be better but at the moment I still think Yorke performed to a consistently higher standard in a Villa shirt.I think sometimes people forget how good he was due to the manner of his departure.

Can't compare Platt as he was a midfielder (what a player though!)

It's just my opinion.

Platt was a forward turned midfielder but it's not worth debating, he was a great player.

Loved Yorke he was a really good player but for me Benteke is better.

ETA:

59% wage to turnover ratio, down from 86%(!!!) the previous season, and only losing 3.9M compared to 51.8M. So yeah, things were definitely not sustainable, but now we have a platform to build off of, rather than a slippery slope.

Noticed that too, so looks like we massively improved revenue, I'm assuming that's just new TV money, or has that not started yet? If no, where's that extra cash come from?

ETA:

Noticed that too, so looks like we massively improved revenue, I'm assuming that's just new TV money, or has that not started yet? If no, where's that extra cash come from?

Must be some sort of TV deal/sponsorship.  It's happened for every single club, not just Villa.

I think my view was skewed by the time they finished 5th :lol:. Even so though, their average over the last 4 seasons including that terrible season where they finished 16th, is 10.75.

And they are probably going to finish 15th/16th again. I do take your point though, we have the 9th highest income and you'd expect as a result that we wouldn't be languishing where we are every single year. However, this is mostly due to the financial shit storm we rode in to and our attempts to get out of it, rightly or wrongly. Should we survive this season then we should expect to see a return to mid table over the coming years, takeover dependent then who knows, perhaps we can push on. Fingers crossed.  

Thank McGrath for Benteke though eh!

I actually don't think other awful decisions trying to fix it (unless you're implying managerial choices) were made.

I think managerial choices played a big part in making it worse. Millions and millions paid in compensation to MON, houllier, Birmingham city and McLeish and now Lambert. And while they've had their moments, Ireland, bent, given, Hutton, nzogbia have not been value for money.

On the same track, if we couldn't sustain offering Benteke £100k/wk and Delph, Grealish, whoever largely improved contracts then I wouldn't want it to happen

Agreed but I suspect we could make 2 or 3 players very highly paid. And that's different to what went on before.

Â