Christian Benteke

Kwan

I'd love for to Benteke to stay, and I think he will, but if he doesn't i'm confident Adebayor would end up here and Sherwood would get the best out of him again.

Adebayor would score as many goals as Benteke has this season, but over his entire 5 year £120k contract.

That's a bit harsh!  :)  I think he'd have to accept he'd never have another contract like that again (Don't Man City still pay most of his Spurs wages?). I think if motivated, and that is the key, he could be good for us. Sherwood got him playing well last year.  

Still much rather have Benteke though

I have a worry that if we are beat by Arsenal in the final he will realize just how close we came to success and be desperate for that, which you could obviously understand. Let's see what happens. I am pretty sure Sherwood is looking at replacements already just in case the big man does go. I hope not.

We need to cash in on him now. If we get a bid over 30 million we need to take it and build a team that isn't so reliant on his fitness and form.

No, no we certainly do not. We'd be mad to sell now. These days we all know it's down to the players/agents. If he is going to stay for another season I say we take it!

• Like 2

We need to cash in on him now. If we get a bid over 30 million we need to take it and build a team that isn't so reliant on his fitness and form. 

I disagree, completely. Cashing in on him would be terrible, we should do everything we can to keep him at the club.

• Like 2

We will get half the price for him next summer. Hence we need to sell this summer if we can't get a new owner and are stuck with that cancerous Lerner. 

We would also get half the goals from whomever we replace him with. Fitness permitting of course, though you would like to think he's had his "one" now. Depends what is worth more to the club. 

I'll take the goals. 

• Like 3

Benteke is good enough to play for any team in the League and tbh, he'd be superb for Arsenal. They seem to splash the cash these days.

So what if they do we don't want to sell.

Based on the sound and very likely assumption Benteke won't sign a new contract. We should have a price we are willing to accept this summer and a price we are willing to accept next summer, followed by the bosman. 

Based on the sound and very likely assumption Benteke won't sign a new contract. We should have a price we are willing to accept this summer and a price we are willing to accept next summer, followed by the bosman.

I would say the club do have a figure that has possibly been thought about, but let's not get away from the fact that they don't want to sell Benteke. He'd have to push or ask for any move.

We will get half the price for him next summer. Hence we need to sell this summer if we can't get a new owner and are stuck with that cancerous Lerner. 

Thats fine by me. As a fan I'd much rather see quality player on the pitch rather than money in the bank. The chances of us signing a player as good as him is so so slim I'd rather we just lose money, but gain entertainment.

• Like 1

What if that price is £40m? 

There's a difference between having a price in your mind at which point he might be available should he want to leave and actively looking to sell for £30m which is what you are advocating. 

• Like 1

I don't want Benteke sold, but we need to be pragmatic and realists. He's going to be in high demand and we need to have a price with which we are willing to do business.

Who is "we"?

I'm a football fan first and foremost. I leave my business head on the train up. 

• Like 1

Oh well then I meant the fans who think like me and have thought about the prospects of Benteke leaving this summer and are pragmatic about it, if we get very good money for him that's reinvested well in the team we could do equally as good as if we kept him. It's the reality of football is these days, best players go to the biggest and richest clubs. 

Well I'm not sure what your saying then?

First your saying of course your not saying they are of the same calibre, and then your saying there isn't much difference between them (especially if Benteke was playing for a top club).

You're FFS!

The only team that came in before when he had score more goals in the calender year than everyone apart from Messi and Ronaldo and hadn't had two careering effecting injuries were Spurs with an half-arsed bid.

All the top teams have top strikers already plus FFP. Jackson and Bacca will be more sought after throughout Europe I reckon. 

Chill.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

Starting to think that with the tv money we should hold out for a silly amount but at the same time that amount would scare off foreign teams

£40m is IMO a silly amount but in terms of bony + the new tv money then £30-40m suddenly doesn't seem that daft, that figure does mean he's not jointing Dortmund or atletico though, there's about 8 clubs in the world that could afford him at that price and only about 2 or 3 that would realistically want him (utd and Liverpool, maybe arsenal)

When we do eventually sell it's going to be to another prem team and to a bunch of words removed

Â