Christian Benteke

Kwan

I don't think the issue is not being able to afford to give Benteke £150k a week.

That in isolation is affordable.

It's the knock on effect of obliterating our wage structure that would be the problem for us.

We've only just got our wages under control, I'm not sure the current ownership would be willing to risk ruining that by handing out £150k per week contracts

I don't think the issue is not being able to afford to give Benteke £150k a week.

It's the knock on effect of obliterating our wage structure that would be the problem for us.

We've only just got our wages under control, I'm not sure the current ownership would be willing to risk ruining that by handing out £150k per week contracts

I don't think a case like Benteke affects the wage structure as such. Given the fact that his quality is exceptionally rare, it'd be easy enough to say "you start scoring goals like him and touching world class and we'll pay you the same". If anyone else manages it, great, worth every penny. 

• Like 1

"Hey Aston Villa board, remember when we offered huge wages and lengthy contracts to our top players and overspent on the squad to push for CL football and then the whole club went tits up and we struggled for 4 seasons or so much to the astonishment of the Villa faithful who mostly dislike Randy Lerner for his part in all of it?  Can we do that again please?"

"Hey Aston Villa board, remember when we offered huge wages and lengthy contracts to our top players and overspent on the squad to push for CL football and then the whole club went tits up and we struggled for 4 seasons or so much to the astonishment of the Villa faithful who mostly dislike Randy Lerner for his part in all of it?  Can we do that again please?"

Benteke is no Heskey ;) (even if some bizarrely compared them after his 1st month at club)

I don't think a case like Benteke affects the wage structure as such. Given the fact that his quality is exceptionally rare, it'd be easy enough to say "you start scoring goals like him and touching world class and we'll pay you the same". If anyone else manages it, great, worth every penny. 

That's all well and good for a striker.

What if Delph turns around and says "I'm club captain, playing for England, fans player of the season, one of the best players on the tea, I should be getting paid as much as Benteke"

And then Okore and Clark (I'm making an assumption here that they've continued to develop and are the lynchpin of our defence in a year or two) say "We're two of the best players at the club too, we should be getting paid the same"

Then you try and make a big name signing and they say "well you can afford to pay those 3/4 100 grand a week, I want the same"

etc etc

We never had anybody as good as Benteke even when we were pushing for the CL.

Our best players of that era; Laursen, Young, Milner, Barry etc, were probably on decent wages (akin to what Delph is likely on now) but the issue was that so was Zat Knight, Habib Beye etc, when really their places in the squad should have been filled by academy graduates or cheaper signings generally. 

"Hey Aston Villa board, remember when we offered huge wages and lengthy contracts to our top players and overspent on the squad to push for CL football and then the whole club went tits up and we struggled for 4 seasons or so much to the astonishment of the Villa faithful who mostly dislike Randy Lerner for his part in all of it? Can we do that again please?"

We had the 6th highest wage bill and finished 6th. I think there were other issues than just high wages.

Also the huge wages were given to everbody, rather than a select few.

As Liverpool have found out with Suarez, irreplaceable. Without Benteke we would have be relegated in each of our last three seasons.

Can't agree at all. You are comparing a team trying to make the jump from getting 65+ points a season to 80+ points a season (Liverpool) with one who struggles to get 40 points trying to make the leap to the mid table comfort of 50-55 points a season.

Liverpool are an awful example of why we shouldn't sell a star player because they have a team full of excellent footballers who are difficult to improve on unless you are spending £20-30m a man on replacements. We on the other had have a combination of shit and mediocrity in the squad and it's easy to bring in better replacements with the money we would get for tekkers.

• Like 2

I think the decision over whether we sell Benteke is out of our hands.

If Man U or equivalent come calling, we won't be able to stop him (See Yorke, Young, Milner etc)

The very best we can hope for is 12 more months but reading between the lines, it doesn't look like tis will happen.

"Hey Aston Villa board, remember when we offered huge wages and lengthy contracts to our top players and overspent on the squad to push for CL football and then the whole club went tits up and we struggled for 4 seasons or so much to the astonishment of the Villa faithful who mostly dislike Randy Lerner for his part in all of it? Can we do that again please?"

We had the 6th highest wage bill and finished 6th. I think there were other issues than just high wages.

Just because we finished 6th it doesn't mean having the 6th highest wage bill was sustainable. It's relative to your annual income rather than league position. Wages was very much the issue.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

The issue was wasted wages more so than wages in general. Tot up the wages of players who featured more than a handful of times when we were finishing 6th and it sure as hell wouldn't have been comparable with teams around us

Agree with the above. We should be offering him £100k a week not nudging him out the door.

Where on earth are we going to get that sort of cash? You have to be realistic that isnt going to happen

Bent's contract is up, There you go. 

We were in a different postion to where we are now. No way is Lerner going to pay him that

Maybe if a takeover occurs perhaps if they are ambitious, but unde rlErner it wont happen unfortunately

Finishing 6th does not automatically mean you have the 6th highest revenue in the league.  Also, 6th highest after who?  Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool... then us?  We'd have been earning absolutely nowhere near the amount those clubs earn and I'd wager that we were also receiving less in than Spurs, Newcastle, Sunderland and potentially others.

We massively overspent on wages.  It's completely **** us.  This includes top players, and I don't want to be there again.  We've only just about sorted ourselves out for **** sake.

Â