Jimzk5

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Aside from Adama and Jiminez I don't think they have any players that the bigger clubs would want, maybe Boly; their relative success is more down to how they've performed as a team and the system that's allowed for that to happen, similar to Sheffield United.

Which would suggest that Nuno will be a wanted man, but with him as well I don't think the bigger clubs will be interested, because when you look at it, he's got them promoted and finshed seventh twice with them which is obviously a very good achieivement, but I don't think it's enough for the 'bigger clubs' to be interested in him and anyone else he probably wouldn't feel it worth leaving Wolves for, only danger would be if they slipped into midtable.

So they're kind of in a good position, most of their players and manager, not good enough for the very best but also not much point in them leaving to join other clubs in a similar position at the moment.

Ruben Neves too.

They have a squad full of very solid players just under the top level quality. Most of them are relatively young as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It will be interesting to see how Wolves go this season, their manager is clearly very talented and obviously they have a bit of an angle in the transfer market but I just keep waiting for the wheels to come off.

Surely sooner or later bigger clubs are going to start coming in for their players or even Nuno? I mean surely that is why Mendes has moved them to Wolves to put them in the window for a bigger move?

The other thing that I think will catch them out sooner rather than later is the size of their squad, Nuno uses very few players but they've got away with it. If they had a number of big injuries to key players like we did last season I'm not sure how they would cope. This season I suspect is going to be physically hard on players after the events of the last few months and the absence of a real break and pre-season in the traditional sense. I've a feeling there may well be a lot more injuries this season than normal, we shall see.

I'm not bothered about Wolves in the slightest so this isn't a wish, more a prediction, I'm certainly envious of the players they've been able to sign though.

Feels like us a bit in 09-10 now. They've had three years now of upward mobility but key players are starting to be linked strongly with moves aways. Feels like they've got one more big season in them before the squad starts to break up. Likes of Boly and Jimenez will be 30 by end of season so they'll need to regenerate their squad anyway soon, Moutinho I think about 34 aswell during this season.

I thought they'd struggle last season given europa, their small squad and they also only won 1 game in first two months so them quickly getting back on track and spending most of the season in top 6 was a bit of a shock to me. Ultimately they're very well drilled so they're never going to lose many so can pick up draws and 1-0 wins in games they don't play that well like at VP.

Interesting some of the names being linked to them. Maitland-Niles would cover a few positions which is always needed with a small squad and Ocampos is a very interesting link as he's had a stand out season for Sevilla although I suspect he'll go to a CL team if they sell.

• Like 2

Looks like Doherty is going to Tottenham for around £15m, Wolves fans don't seem very happy but I think if they replace him with Maitland-Niles then they will have a better player, he can also play in central midfield which is a position they desperately need strengthening, wouldn't be surprised if they saw that as his long term role, as they're being linked with another right-back, Thierry Correia, to replace Doherty.

Interesting that they are selling him, I thought he was one of Nuno's favourite players. The fee is quite low considering they probably can't replace him for that amount, more so in potential if anything.

I also wonder if Nuno sanctioned this, his relationship with the board isn't already the strongest right now. 

Also I know every team is a selling club but it seems they haven't battled to hard to keep Doherty, do they need the cash?

It looks like the natives are getting a bit restless over there, and to be fair I think they could struggle next year if they don't get a move on in this window. They've got a paper thin squad that's just had a massive season, they're about to sell one of their 2 fit FBs, Nuno's contract is up next year without a new one seeming close, Troare and Jimenez linked with moves away and barely any central midfielders. A bad window could really see the wheels fly off imo.

1 minute ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

It looks like the natives are getting a bit restless over there, and to be fair I think they could struggle next year if they don't get a move on in this window. They've got a paper thin squad that's just had a massive season, they're about to sell one of their 2 fit FBs, Nuno's contract is up next year without a new one seeming close, Troare and Jimenez linked with moves away and barely any central midfielders. A bad window could really see the wheels fly off imo.

mr burns GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, everyone was saying it was a done deal a couple of days ago and now they're trying to flog us cast offs.

Looks like the media may well have jumped the gun.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

Well, everyone was saying it was a done deal a couple of days ago and now they're trying to flog us cast offs.

Looks like the media may well have jumped the gun.  We'll see.

They don’t know what’s going on.

For weeks and weeks Newcastle’s take over was a “done deal” according to the papers.

Sancho to Man United has been done several times too.

and Grealish to MU too

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

The top four for me next season is very likely to be City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea. That leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Leicester and maybe Everton competing for the two Europa League positions - at least two of those teams won't play European football the following season. They're big sides - I think we're about to see a re-evaluation of the value of the Europa league in England, sixth might be the new fourth.

One of them will be going into the new Europa conference, which won't suit the ambitions of any of them - but it's becoming a very competitive part of the table between 5th and 9th - and one that we'll have a desire to get involved in over the next few years.

For Wolves, that might be frustrating - they've been rising for years, but they may have hit a bit of a glass ceiling - it'll be interesting to see how they deal with that in terms of the mentality around the club.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The top four for me next season is very likely to be City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea. That leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Leicester and maybe Everton competing for the two Europa League positions - at least two of those teams won't play European football the following season. They're big sides - I think we're about to see a re-evaluation of the value of the Europa league in England, sixth might be the new fourth.

One of them will be going into the new Europa conference, which won't suit the ambitions of any of them - but it's becoming a very competitive part of the table between 5th and 9th - and one that we'll have a desire to get involved in over the next few years.

For Wolves, that might be frustrating - they've been rising for years, but they may have hit a bit of a glass ceiling - it'll be interesting to see how they deal with that in terms of the mentality around the club.

Agree with this.

It'll be a weird season, I was gutted at the time but I think next season is a good one to not be in Europe, it could hurt Spurs and Arsenal.

On 28/08/2020 at 13:24, OutByEaster? said:

The top four for me next season is very likely to be City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea. That leaves Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Leicester and maybe Everton competing for the two Europa League positions. 

You forgot Leeds... 

• Haha 2

I don’t really know why he’s gone there. Apart from the obvious money answer. 

It’s not really a step up these days to go from Wolves to Spurs, and he’s famously a big arsenal fan so it’s not like you’d think he had this big desire to play for Spurs. 

It’s a weird one for sure. Maybe Wolves don’t want him...

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone else feel like something’s a bit ‘off’ with the Doherty transfer?

First team regular sold for what is very little money (by all accounts) in today’s market.

Some kind of back-hand deal with Spurs/Mourinho? 

It’s a strange one for sure but more so because he’s a quality wing back and suits Wolves down to the ground.  Could have been tapped up or could be someone else in the Wolves squad is heading to Spurs this window? 

Matty Cash would probably slot right in at Wolves and is approx 5 years younger than Doherty. 

There was a story a month or so back about Wolves taking out a £50m loan from the Macquarie Bank secured against TV money, their fans insisted it's standard practice, but it reminded me of what Xia was doing with us, in fact he used the same bank. Not saying they're desperate for money, but maybe needed to raise some funds.

Also Nuno's deal has less than a year left to run and there's stories about him not signing it because he's unsure about Wolves ambitions. Now is a critical time for them, but if they can make a few decent signings, hang on to their best players, and get Nuno to sign then things will be looking good for them again.

Strikes me Wolves, who have done bloody well for themselves (this is not sniping) are in danger of having their funds pulled - they are in good shape, can probably sustain a few seasons in the prem through shrewd selling/buying - why on earth would this not be the end game for Fosun? You have to worry that we may see similar in future... 

Chairman Jeff Shi has admitted Fosun are likely to reduce direct investment in the team as they aim to sell a stake in Wolves ahead of a possible public listing.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2019/10/29/fosun-likely-to-spend-less-on-wolves-team-as-they-search-for-investment/

Excellent post earlier OBE I think this is going to be an interesting season with Wolves. On the one hand I think it’s an advantage not being in Europe this season but I do get the feeling that they’ve rode he crest of the wave and are going to run out of steam.

Financially something is amiss, Fosun clearly either don’t have the desire to put significant funds in or more likely are unable to get the capital from China so they will need to raise money other ways.

I also wonder how long the relationship with their pal will last, I don’t see what he is getting from it as surely the intention was to move the players on from Wolves for big money but it hasn’t happened? In the absence of that I’m not sure I see his angle.

Then you have the managerial situation, I’m amazed nobody has shown interest in Nuno yet, it will happen.

As for the squad it really lacks depth, a few injuries to key players and they will find it hard. If they take a back step after years of progress I wonder how their fans will take it?

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

• Like 2

Â